am i ready for clownfish?

can i add clownfish this saturday with these parameters?

• yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • other

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • yes but only clownfish, no corals or other fish

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i ready for clownfish? I have been cycling for a week now, i added fritztyme turbo start as well as ammonia, i have algae growing, i am doing a 20% water change, and i tested yesterday and my parameters are the following:

nitrate - 0
Ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0.5

Also with these parameters could i add coral? I test with red sea

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Am i ready for clownfish? I have been cycling for a week now, i added fritztyme turbo start as well as ammonia, i have algae growing, i am doing a 20% water change, and i tested yesterday and my parameters are the following:

nitrate - 0
Ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0.5

Also with these parameters could i add coral? I test with red sea
I wouldn't add coral yet. 2 months down the road. Probably. If you want clownfish you can probably safely add a pair.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know what your notepad looks like. I'm pretty nerdy when it comes to my parameters. When I setup my aquariums I would check ammonia, nitrite and nitrates religiously for 2 weeks. Or until I had my ammonia spike.
Once the ammonia spike was gone. I added my fish. With live rock it took 1 week.
Now with corals. I always had a tester in mind. Cheap frags if possible. Zoa or paly, a mushroom - candy cane or trumpet coral. If these started to grow I was ready to move on to my next addition.
This was back in 2006. Things are different now. People say add corals once coraline grows. I still don't follow the rules.

IF you add fish now. Watch for 1 week on ammonia, the moment it starts rising, water change at 25 - 50% depending on the spike. Or return fish

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add coral yet. 2 months down the road. Probably. If you want clownfish you can probably safely add a pair.
ok. Could i add any other fish, i hear clownfish are very hardy. I want to start with easy fish that wont die. I was thinking either a goby, blenny, hogfish, squirrelfish, etc

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any source of ammonia to kick off the cycle? I would assume so with algae, however a week seems a bit quick. Also depends on the type of rock used, whether live vs dry. Also did you ever see elevations in the ammonia/nitrite prior to the nitrate?
I have used the turbo starts in the past but still gave my tank roughly a month or so to do its thing.
If you used live rock, added the zyme I think it can probably handle clownfish.
Edit: I also have not yet looked at your build thread so I apologize for any redundancy

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any source of ammonia to kick off the cycle? I would assume so with algae, however a week seems a bit quick. Also depends on the type of rock used, whether live vs dry. Also did you ever see elevations in the ammonia/nitrite prior to the nitrate?
I have used the turbo starts in the past but still gave my tank roughly a month or so to do its thing.
If you used live rock, added the zyme I think it can probably handle clownfish.
yes

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has this life rock, it's painted with bacteria. I don't understand it. But a lot of people say it's great.
with that, the ammonia source, fritzyme, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 0.5 nitrtie, and live sand, i should be ok right? Sorry i keep asking questions, i just dont want to kill my fish

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is why when you add the fish, you watch ammonia, there's an ammonia badge. Some say it works. Others don't like it.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should look at how you have your build thread badge set up.

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has this life rock, it's painted with bacteria. I don't understand it. But a lot of people say it's great.
Oh yeah Ive seen it online but ive never had any experience with it personally. Luckily my lfs has always had some decent quality live rock that I’ve used for my current and past tanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back