am i ready for clownfish?

can i add clownfish this saturday with these parameters?

• yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • other

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • yes but only clownfish, no corals or other fish

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add coral yet. 2 months down the road. Probably. If you want clownfish you can probably safely add a pair.
ok, so i can add a pair of clowns, could i add easy corals, like zoas? Would that be alright? Also could i add another fish

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It links to the thread on how to set up your badge

not your build thread

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It links to the thread on how to set up your badge

not your build thread
i have one though

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that fritz turbo start is the truth man sounds like you should be able to add a fish or two ive done it sooner and had success

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so i can add a pair of clowns, could i add easy corals, like zoas? Would that be alright? Also could i add another fish
I wouldnt do any fish in addition to the clowns, just to let the tank stabilize and adjust to the new bio-load with the clowns. If you wanted to add one instead of a clown, depending on tank size, lyretails are always nice and fairly easy, algae blenny, damsel (use with caution some can be pretty aggressive)
However one thing you may want to do, but completely up to you, is do some research on your favorite fish and make a stock list, make sure they are all compatible (that was an issue for me on my first tank), and care instructions.

I found it to be super useful to have that list this time around, that way you know and are comfortable caring for all of the new additions.

corals? Theoretically you could, ive seen it done, mushrooms and zoas are always a good starting option IMO, but I am always more cautious. I just added my first coral in my new red sea set up and its 4.5 months in (Rasta Zoas). Again, could probably do it sooner if you wanted to, but be prepared that its probably more likely to have losses. And once again especially with corals, do your due diligance, always better to be proactive rather than reactive

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt do any fish in addition to the clowns, just to let the tank stabilize and adjust to the new bio-load with the clowns. If you wanted to add one instead of a clown, depending on tank size, lyretails are always nice and fairly easy, algae blenny, damsel (use with caution some can be pretty aggressive)
However one thing you may want to do, but completely up to you, is do some research on your favorite fish and make a stock list, make sure they are all compatible (that was an issue for me on my first tank), and care instructions.

I found it to be super useful to have that list this time around, that way you know and are comfortable caring for all of the new additions.

corals? Theoretically you could, ive seen it done, mushrooms and zoas are always a good starting option IMO, but I am always more cautious. I just added my first coral in my new red sea set up and its 4.5 months in (Rasta Zoas). Again, could probably do it sooner if you wanted to, but be prepared that its probably more likely to have losses. And once again especially with corals, do your due diligance, always better to be proactive rather than reactive
ok. So i'll add 2 clowns. Would the zoa's die? I think you said they could?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know. I just thought you would have wanted it linked to your badge.
What this guy is saying is. your badge button needs fixing.

I see the link to your badge at the bottom of your post, but it would be best to add it to the badge link on your profile.

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are more sensitive. I would add a cheaper zoa after a month. But that's me.
I agree, I feel like a month is a good amount of time. def something you like in the tank where if it does thrive and takes over you dont regret it, but also something cheap enough where if it dies it doesn't kill a small piece of your soul.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiming in with my thoughts 'cause I was right here with you. I added my two clowns yesterday, on day 8 of my cycle. I also used Fritz Turbostart (along with Microbater7), life rock and live sand, and dosed ammonia at the start. They're doing great!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What this guy is saying is. your badge button needs fixing.

I see the link to your badge at the bottom of your post, but it would be best to add it to the badge link on your profile.

Yes. I did not say what i meant very well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back