Am i ready for coral? 4 months in

reeferdugong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

my tank has been running for 4 months. Do you guys think im ready to add my first corals?

My current stocking:
2 clown fish
1 banggai cardinal
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 firefish goby
2 fire shrimps
1 Pistol shrimp
1 tuxedo urchin

My water parameters:
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0-0.05 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
Phosphate 0.14 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.4-8.6
pH: 7.9-8.1
Salinity: 1.024

43g tank, 10% waterchange everyweek with tropic marin pro reef salt.

I will only get LPS & soft corals, not planning to get SPS corals.

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
reeferdugong

reeferdugong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a AI Prime 16 HD. Am not sure which light setting yet, Probably will go with David Saxby since it’s used by most people?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a AI Prime 16 HD. Am not sure which light setting yet, Probably will go with David Saxby since it’s used by most people?

You have a single prime on a 40G?

Idk if that's enough for SPS but LPS should be fine.

Just make sure they're closer to the center of the light source rather than out at the sides.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for the expensive part, fit as much coral as possible without letting them kill each other!

1616880776730.gif

OP
OP
reeferdugong

reeferdugong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys! my param is quite stabile, probably will start to get a gfo reactor running if Phosphate goes up to 0.2 ppm.

Am dosing Nopox currently, trying to get my nitrate to 5-10ppm slowly.

Yes im only planning to get LPS& softies

kcinnick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys! my param is quite stabile, probably will start to get a gfo reactor running if Phosphate goes up to 0.2 ppm.

Am dosing Nopox currently, trying to get my nitrate to 5-10ppm slowly.

Yes im only planning to get LPS& softies
You don't need to get nitrate down to 5, 10-15 is fine IME.

I plan on ordering a couple of boxes of coral to tank as soon as my tank arrives, Modern methods (concentrated bacteria mostly) and established rock any you can instantly "cycle" a tank. I am not adding SPS at first, I only want a few specific ones anyway.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should add at least 1 more prime16 - I have 2 over a 20g. I do target SPS so I need more light but that said even LPS are going to want more than 1 prime for a 40g — honestly 3 primes is probably the correct amount.

all that said you certainly can add coral underneath that prime you have, but if you add them outside it’s radius you will see them probably struggle.

General rule of thumb for most of the *popular* lights is they provide between 1-2 feet of coverage.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NOT run the
David Saxby plan with the current AI lights because it was developed prior to them. A big feature of the current AI lights is to pull power from un-used channels
to increase the par for
channels you ARE using. This is my light plan I run, it’s very SPS friendly but should give you an idea.

AE599826-2217-4CDF-85CF-19973A40D1E6.png

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NOT run the
David Saxby plan with the current AI lights because it was developed prior to them. A big feature of the current AI lights is to pull power from un-used channels
to increase the par for
channels you ARE using. This is my light plan I run, it’s very SPS friendly but should give you an idea.

AE599826-2217-4CDF-85CF-19973A40D1E6.png
For SPS I actually get better results by boosting the white, red, and green more. From what I read, although the blue is the main spectrum for cyan fluorescent proteins (the most prevelant in SPS), other colored FPs actually do better in other spectrums ranging from green to red to uv. This is where a broad spectrum light helps SPS more and why some people swear by T5s. In the Primes the only way to achieve that is to boost the white. I have max blue and purple like you but I also put white/red/green at 40/20/10. Under this,, im noticing better coloration and new colors forming on my acros.

OP
OP
reeferdugong

reeferdugong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so i decided to use the BRS custom setting for my AI Prime 16 HD. Do i need to acclimate my new corals to the light? Like starting with lower intensity and gradually increasing it to 100%? If so, how long and what intensity should i start it with?

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to get nitrate down to 5, 10-15 is fine IME.

I plan on ordering a couple of boxes of coral to tank as soon as my tank arrives, Modern methods (concentrated bacteria mostly) and established rock any you can instantly "cycle" a tank. I am not adding SPS at first, I only want a few specific ones anyway

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so i decided to use the BRS custom setting for my AI Prime 16 HD. Do i need to acclimate my new corals to the light? Like starting with lower intensity and gradually increasing it to 100%? If so, how long and what intensity should i start it with?
I just recently started using the prime 16hd and started about 50-60% lighting that being said my corals where very happy at first but now they seem like meh so I’m going to increase the lighting I do not run red greens or whites. Just blues the schedule I have been using I can send to you it’s pretty popular. Pirates of the Caribbean I believe

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back