Am I the only one who can’t keep torch corals alive ?!

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other corals I can try that sway in the current ? Aneonme frogspawn I know kinda do....also even Duncan corals if you can find one with long tentacles I love that also very easy to keep alive but any other suggestions that resemble a torch coral swaying in the current ?! Because if one more dies on me in this new tank especially I’m completely giving up on them sadly because like I said the torch coral is what made me want corals before I started :(

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well atleast I’m not the only one .,,,I did notice after years of trying the longest torch coral I kept alive actually did better on the sandbed but just like the others that one eventually did also ....I don’t get how some people have torch corals for so long they actually need to frag them because they get so big !! I’m jealous ....good info on here I also read ones from Indonesia do better then ones from somewhere else (or vice versa) I tried that also....and yes I even tried a captive bred one and even that died
I feel like mine do best when fed some lps pellets or frozen mysis or other food 2 or 3 times a week.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like mine do best when fed some lps pellets or frozen mysis or other food 2 or 3 times a week.
I did the same and they usually always ate their tentacles would grab the food and slowly make it down to the mouth I also tried turning the flow off thinking that could be it...pretty much I’ve tried everything you can think of to keep these things alive ....I’ll be buying one this week for my new tank I’ll keep you all posted but usually they take months to die ...and it’s always a very fast decline they would look fine one week then boom next week gone it’s very weird

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had yours ?’
Oldest one is about a year and a half. Purple Aus with neon green tips. Was a large head starting to split when I got it. After splitting and growing out I fragged off one and now it's just about done splitting again. The torches are at about 150ish par, get a lot of random pretty strong flow. I have a video somewhere.. let me see if I can get it to upload.

Couple months after I got it. This is June 2020. I will see if I can get a picture tomorrow of where it's at. I also have a Indo HG, Gold, and one of those lemon/lime/banana torches.
Euphyllia_glabrescens_AusPurple.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I have lost 2 torches (I have owned 3 in total over the past 20 months+) two of them were high end torches - An Aussie gold and A joker torch, I am going to give up on the high end torch idea since the colony I had from Indonesia (not high end, just a regular plain brown). The only issue I had with it was when I had a flatty outbreak and it went from 25+ heads to one. The last head is still with me and thriving but it has gone through both the high end torches dying and still looks fine. I felt with the flattys before adding any highend torch corals - Jade and radiant wrasses really are flatworm eating machines.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I have lost 2 torches (I have owned 3 in total over the past 20 months+) two of them were high end torches - An Aussie gold and A joker torch, I am going to give up on the high end torch idea since the colony I had from Indonesia (not high end, just a regular plain brown). The only issue I had with it was when I had a flatty outbreak and it went from 25+ heads to one. The last head is still with me and thriving but it has gone through both the high end torches dying and still looks fine. I felt with the flattys before adding any highend torch corals - Jade and radiant wrasses really are flatworm eating machines.
Interesting ! Well atleast you have one head still better then 0 lol ....

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting ! Well atleast you have one head still better then 0 lol ....
Haha, yeah other than the other 24 block it from regrowing heads unfortunately and I have nothing to drag it with other than a regular saw but I still wouldn’t trust myself

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back