Am I the only one who can’t keep torch corals alive ?!

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frustrated as this is my 5th torch coral and it’s dying ....no matter what I do these babies always die on me in a few months every other coral is thriving I jw If anyone else can’t keep them? I’m about to give up on them as they are so expensive

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what is worth, in my experience torches and hammers don't like alk swings and prefer tanks with more stable parameters. I've had several torches and hammer (o' so many hammers!) over the years and all did great until an alk swing occurred. They always died from BJD over time, so I haven't bothered with them anymore.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt the same way about euphylia until recently. I dialed in my parameters and started checking alk 3 times a week. The frogspawn I thought was a goner like the rest is actually growing a new head.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammers do fine tho I’ve had one for 2 years dang torches they’re so nice but I officially give up on them waste of money

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had many as well .
the slightest swing changes everything fast .
bjd

this is why Haven’t tried to stock them in a few years .
I have ok luck with hammers , but torches never last
Yea same here what a shame must of spent 2000 on torches in 5 years all with the same results after 6-8 months they die

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having trouble with my torch since the second week I got it I think. I think it just wants much lower light than I have been giving it. Even though it was on the bottom in a corner, it seems to want less. Finally moved it and it looked a little better today. We’ll see.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I had were hammers and a torch. Great for a year, all dead now. I'm done with them. :(

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having trouble with my torch since the second week I got it I think. I think it just wants much lower light than I have been giving it. Even though it was on the bottom in a corner, it seems to want less. Finally b moved it and it looked a little better today. We’ll see.
Idk I feel your pain they’re so beautiful especially if you have random flow the way they swing is why I really wanted coral to begin with it’s like why I did it ...but I can never keep them alive and I had so many...my old corals were thriving no difference in parameters....I went through thousands of dollars for these all with same results I can keep hammer coral forever they did thrive in my old tank I heard of you can keep a hammer you can keep a torch that simply does not apply to me lol

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk I feel your pain they’re so beautiful especially if you have random flow the way they swing is why I really wanted coral to begin with it’s like why I did it ...but I can never keep them alive and I had so many...my old corals were thriving no difference in parameters....I went through thousands of dollars for these all with same results I can keep hammer coral forever they did thrive in my old tank I heard of you can keep a hammer you can keep a torch that simply does not apply to me lol
my hammer is doing great. So me neither haha.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to get an aqua-cultured one if you can. So many are dumped on the market immediately after importing. By the time a customer gets them they are super stressed and likely damaged and highly susceptible to infection. Most don't last long once they get to the customers tank.

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can keep hammers & frogspawn also, but torches don't last for me either. I'm right there with you, I love the way torches sway. I'm babying my last living torch in my tank now -fingers-crossed.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well atleast I’m not the only one .,,,I did notice after years of trying the longest torch coral I kept alive actually did better on the sandbed but just like the others that one eventually did also ....I don’t get how some people have torch corals for so long they actually need to frag them because they get so big !! I’m jealous ....good info on here I also read ones from Indonesia do better then ones from somewhere else (or vice versa) I tried that also....and yes I even tried a captive bred one and even that died

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back