Am I the only person who hasn't done this?

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have run gyres for years now and I feel like a complete idiot. Here I though Ive tried every setup with these things including using 4 on our 250, opposing sides and one on the bottom behind each island blowing straight and up through the aquascapes.

I shut the two down behind the islands and set the 350s opposite sides and the right one all the way to the front of the tank and left all the way toward the back. I set one on a 80%10sec pulse and the other is 6 second 100% pulse..

OMG. I cannot believe the extra flow around the corners where normally detritus ends up settling. When they end up smashing into each other they don't pummel everything under the two waves that meet. They hit and slingshot down the front and back glass while the two inner blades hit and create the vertical vortex while a horizontal one is created at the same time.

I don't even use the other 2 gyres anymore, so if you have not tried this setup, please do give it a go. Opposing sides one right up towards the front and the other nearly towards the back glass, mine are about 3.5in under the water line pushing slightly upwards. I've brought them slightly closer together but that's only so my aquascape gets the best flow. I've not been this excited about flow in a good long time lol.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you're enjoying your gyres! I have mine at opposite sides (right/left) in my tank alternating between random and stepped modes. They both go forward for 8min then reverse for 2min.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back