Am I too new for this forum?

KentuckyKenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really know very little about saltwater tanks. As I scan through these threads I see so many abbreviation, terms and words that I have no clue what they mean. I'm thinking that I am too new and wonder if I'll get anything out of my research. Am I? Should I be approaching this differently?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really know very little about saltwater tanks. As I scan through these threads I see so many abbreviation, terms and words that I have no clue what they mean. I'm thinking that I am too new and wonder if I'll get anything out of my research. Am I? Should I be approaching this differently?
Feel free to ask questions about abbreviations. Many people on here are willing to help. Welcome to R2R!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definetely not! Yes some things are hard to understand at first, but generally speaking people are very nice and helpful. Just post in the thread if you need explanations. Somewhere around the web is actually a list of common acronyms and "reef speak" I cant find it at the moment, but I bet someone chimes in with a link otherwise I will keep looking.

You will learn a lot from the forum. Sometimes you will get conflicting advice or answers, but that is part of the hobby and overall your knowledge will most definetely grow quicker than you would think.

Welcome by the way!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

give it a couple of weeks and you’ll be right at home.

anything you are unsure of just ask, don’t just let it go.

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The search feature will/should be your friend. You'll be amazed how fast you fall down the many rabbit holes to be found. When the search fails you, ask away. Start slow (cliché I know), and don't stress out about the lack of knowledge. It'll come to you sooner than you think.

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't be afraid to ask the questions, if someone gives you a hard time for being new and asking a question they are a jerk lol. 1 piece of advice, do research outside of this forum as well, many smart people on here but many more that respond and answer out of turn without truly understanding the facts. Just be cautious, i use this forum a ton and value it but make sure you follow up with alternate research. You will learn certain people on here on true experts and you can take their word but dont trust every thing written...plenty of jokers like me that only think we are smart ;)

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of ky are you from?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all, beginners are welcome. Here are some of the most common abbreviations

Fowlr - fish only with live rock
NSW - natural sea water
ULN -ultra low nutrient
ULM - ultra low maintenance
RODI - reverse osmosis de-ionizing
Alk - alkalinity
Cal - calcium
MG - magnesium
Sg - specific gravity
No3 - nitrate
Po4 - phosphate

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go check out ReefDudes video on YouTube. He goes over the common abbreviations we use in the hobby

or just google the abbreviation followed by reef2reef or reef tank and it’ll likely be on the first line of google search results.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.
It is a very overwhelming hobby to start. However, every hobby is really. Just takes time to get the flow. I still do not know all these acronyms and I have done this for over 17 years.
Ask lots of questions, you will get many responses. Check out those who have actual experience with the thing you are searching for. Do research outside the forum too as stated above.
Some of the good older books are still great for knowing the basics. Those do not change, much.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are in the perfect place. Ask as much as you want. No one here will put you down for it.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found sitting back and watching demos on the tube to be extremely handy, there are step by step videos that helped me a ton.

Welcome, good luck, ask whatever you wish.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiiiiiii! Welcome!!!

Never too new for this place. What helped me was read read read. I'm also a visual learner, so I watched a lot of YouTube videos.

When you're researching...brainstorm (if you haven't already) what type of tank you want.

LEARN THE NITROGEN CYCLE.

Take things slow. It seems like when things are rushed we run into problems.

Robert M Balzli Jr.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck... it takes time to learn it all. At least people are replying to you. I’ve stop asking questions because I get few answers. But if I read enough I get answers on here. I guess people get tired of answering the same question over and over again. Just keep researching and get many answers before you make decisions, because there are so many opinions and different tank chemistry’s. This hobby is constantly changing. Welcome!

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Acronyms, Abbreviations, Vocabulary, and Slang for the Reef Aquarist, Revised December 2018​

this is a post. if you paste it into the. search at the top right it will take you to an explanation of a lot of them

Back