am i wasting my money if i purchase a eheim jager thermoncontrol e?

eheim jeager or eheim thermocontrol e?

• eheim jager (traditional)

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • eheim thermocontrol e

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after some research on the forums and the sticky thread, i think i've narrowed it down to 2x eheim jager heaters for my future build.

some further searches have revealed a new version of the old eheim jager heater, and it's the thermocotnrol E version. it's almost double the price, and i was hoping someone could shed some light on this... should i pay more and get a ??? better product (or at least a more expensive product), or are heaters just going to break no matter how expensive/high-end they might be in the long-run, and should i just stick the basics version and have a controller to go with?

references:
thermocontrol e

thermocontrol (standard) - i think this is the eheim jager ?

thanks again!
sk

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would go with the cheaper one, get two of them so you have a backup and then pick up a Inkbird ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller. That way you set your temp for +1-2 degree what you want it to be on the heater, then set your Inkbird to the temp you want. That way the Inkbird is your first line of defense and if for some reason the Inkbird messes up and tries to cook your fish your heater will only allow you to go up one degree.

If you wanted a second line of defense then take that second heater and set it for 2-3 degrees under so if your inkird dies all together the temp will only drop a degree or two. If I have learned anything in this hobby, if you can be redundant you set yourself up for much more success.

I hope that makes sense... Good Luck!!

OP
OP
S

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
makes sense! heater is a heater, but needs redundancy control and backup anyway... so it ultimately depends on the controller to monitor the entire setup.

thanks, that's clarified it for it for me ;Happy - off hunting for a good deal now

tstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the "e's" And I couldn't tell you if you'd be wasting your money or not... Supposed benefit is greater thermal control/tolerances. They both work great but are they better then cheaper ones, I don't know as I have nothing else to compare to.

I will tell you that the dang temp adjusting ring is a PITA to adjust!! It's too tight and hard to to turn...

Tim

OP
OP
S

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. i decided to go ahead with the older version (2x) and will look at a controller too...

now i have to figure out this plumbing issue (metric to imperial and vice versa o_O )

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old thread but I had the same question since I'm looking at replacing my two working Eheim Jagers proactively because they are about 5 years old. I think the newer thermocontrol e series were introduced pretty recently at the time this thread was made so I'm hoping in the past year and a half, some of you might have some more experience and opinions on them so I'm bumping this thread rather than making a new one. Thanks.

Back