amazing and unexpected results with Ecopods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying that I've been keeping reefs since 1998 and I had never used cultured pods in a tank until this weekend. In the past I have either used all live rock or seeded a tank with a hunk of live rock from a local reefer and assumed that since I eventually saw some crawlies on the glass, it was good enough. I currently have two nano tanks: a 9 month old tank that was established with dry rock seeded with live rubble, and 3 week old tank that contains mature live rock from my LFS. Both have plenty of crawlies on the glass, so I figured I was all set on pods.

However, this weekend I was the lucky winner of an Ecopods culture that you guys donated to the Boston Reefers for a coral symposium raffle. When I won the pods, I didn't imagine they would have much of an impact on tanks with established pod populations. I split the culture between my two tanks and two days later, I am shocked. The tanks have never looked this clean. It's like I've added a turbo charged micro cleanup crew. I don't know what species of pods I had growing in my tank before, but I was obviously missing something. It could just be that the pods are doing a super cleanup job on my glass, but I swear my water even looks clearer. Both tanks!!

I had been thinking that the real reason to add pods was to kick start things in a new tank, or to feed a dragonet. I'm sure those are useful applications, but the cleanup crew work these guys have done is just incredible.

I'm so impressed with this product and grateful for your contribution to our local club event!

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always feel weird/unsure about pouring all the water included in the package into my small tank. Just me.
Yeah I will admit that I was a little concerned about this too, but I'm glad I took the plunge. No problems caused. Only nice results. I think I will start planning on replenishing the population on the rare occasion that we have house guests. Nothing beats a nice clean reef when you're trying to justify spending insane amounts of money on a hobby in front of your in-laws.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always feel weird/unsure about pouring all the water included in the package into my small tank. Just me.
Hi there! Our pods are strained out of the water that they car cultures in and packaged with fresh saltwater :)

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me start by saying that I've been keeping reefs since 1998 and I had never used cultured pods in a tank until this weekend. In the past I have either used all live rock or seeded a tank with a hunk of live rock from a local reefer and assumed that since I eventually saw some crawlies on the glass, it was good enough. I currently have two nano tanks: a 9 month old tank that was established with dry rock seeded with live rubble, and 3 week old tank that contains mature live rock from my LFS. Both have plenty of crawlies on the glass, so I figured I was all set on pods.

However, this weekend I was the lucky winner of an Ecopods culture that you guys donated to the Boston Reefers for a coral symposium raffle. When I won the pods, I didn't imagine they would have much of an impact on tanks with established pod populations. I split the culture between my two tanks and two days later, I am shocked. The tanks have never looked this clean. It's like I've added a turbo charged micro cleanup crew. I don't know what species of pods I had growing in my tank before, but I was obviously missing something. It could just be that the pods are doing a super cleanup job on my glass, but I swear my water even looks clearer. Both tanks!!

I had been thinking that the real reason to add pods was to kick start things in a new tank, or to feed a dragonet. I'm sure those are useful applications, but the cleanup crew work these guys have done is just incredible.

I'm so impressed with this product and grateful for your contribution to our local club event!
LOVE THIS! Adding Ecopods is a great way to add biodiversity to your tank/clean up crew! :) Thank you so much for the kind words and taking the time to express how happy and impressed you were with our pods! Hope the show was a huge success and we are happy to support the Boston Reefers!

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOVE THIS! Adding Ecopods is a great way to add biodiversity to your tank/clean up crew! :) Thank you so much for the kind words and taking the time to express how happy and impressed you were with our pods! Hope the show was a huge success and we are happy to support the Boston Reefers!
Thanks again for supporting the club! It was so nice to have an in person show. It was our first in-person club activity since everything closed down in the spring of 2020. Happy to have regained one more aspect of normalcy.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How are the copepods doing these days?

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the copepods doing these days?
They are great! Every couple of nights I check out the tank after the LEDs and the room lights have been off for a while.

My tanks are in my kitchen and my bedroom. The neighbors no doubt see me in the kitchen walking around with my cellphone flashlight... and I check the bedroom tank if I get up in the night. I'm not sure why, but my wife says I'm taking things too far. Luckily my kid likes the tanks so I think I have a ways to go before I'm in any serious trouble. Haha.

Pod populations are booming!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back