OP
OP
S

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they need a partner to spawn? There is only one in the tank.

ChgoGoodGirl

Oooo Ill take that one... & that one... & that one
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 have 3 in my tank 2 females and 1 male. The females seem to spawn at the same time 1 will start then the other one will. Ive seen my male spawn a few times but never the same time the females do. Lol

They will do it whether there are multiples in your tank or not. My wrasses eat it up like candy. Ewwww lol

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice one, this is a vid of releasing sperm. The snail will release sperm clouds into the water and lay eggs on a stationary object to be fertilised (often the undersides of leaves or sides of the glass)

As most snails are Hermaphrodites, its possible for them to reproduce with just one.

But I doubt very much you only have only one. Where you see one sail, generally there are plenty more hiding.

The good news is that for molluscs to breed, due to the fact they tend to be very sensitive to water conditions, this illustrates that your water conditions are very good.

By any chance had you recently done a large water change? That tends to stimulate spawning, (at least in fresheater which I am mostly experienced in.)

Scott

OP
OP
S

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a fairly new set up for seahorses. Everything in the tank is new rock. I added that snail from another system and only added one. Yes I do weekly 20 gallon water changes on this 110 gallon tank.

ChgoGoodGirl

Oooo Ill take that one... & that one... & that one
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stomatella snails release their eggs and sperm into the water. Unlike some other snails they do not lay eggs. When it comes to this species of snail, you need a male and a female to breed them. They are 100% reef safe and an amazing addition to your CUC. Oddly, I never see them for sale anywhere but people will often get them as hitchhikers on live rock and corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back