AMAZING! What amazing thing have you experienced in your reef aquarium?

Do you consider the hobby of keeping saltwater reef aquarums amazing?

• YES

Votes: 429 96.8%
  • NO

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quick it can crash when grossly overfed by my parents. This was 32 years ago when I went fishing for a week. Came home to a cess pool of rotting fish and alot of rotting food. Bummed cause they were local special fish. They fed in a week what woulda lasted a few months, boy did it stink.

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in 2011, I had a group of astrea snails climb to the top of the rock-work and simultaneously spawn. Took me a few minutes to realize what they were doing - they would periodically lift up their shells and shoot a bunch of eggs out in a little fountain. My wife thought I was crazy to be so excited...

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am amazed by the community in this hobby. I have met so many amazing people and a few have become quite good friends. Most people are more than willing to give a helping hand as well as sharing any knowledge they have learned over the years. Oh course you have a few bad apples like with anything but overall I find the reefing hobby to be filled with really great people.

Voypok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree to every word you guys said... all in this hobby is amazing!
IMG_6057.jpeg
IMG_5927.JPEG
IMG_6074.jpeg
IMG_6088.jpeg

Last edited:

Musclebai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had few spawning events over time [while the video does not do justice..was shocked till i realized what it was]

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s insane you can have a chunk of the ocean living and breeding in a box. Things deemed impossible by some are now very easy to keep. With my personal tank, I found an adorable baby mantis shrimp on my new TBS rock. He’s literally only an inch long. Needless to say, I set up a 1gal tank for him and he loves it!

Jonddk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago in my 90 gallon reef tank I had red star polyps spawn. Eggs were floating all around the tank. It happened twice almost exactly a year apart.

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What amazes me most is how far things have come in such a short period of time. I spent 20 years away from fish tanks while I was in the military and building a family. After a long hiatus coming back in to see the new tech and varieties of corals was mind blowing.

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing is by far the most amazing hobby I have ever done, you are recreating one of the harshest environments on the planet in your own house. You get to care for animals that most people will never see in their life (unless they go to the ocean or, say your house). It's demanding and challenging and so rewarding!

ErehwoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From dictionary.com:
verb (used with object), a·mazed, a·maz·ing.
1. to overwhelm with surprise or sudden wonder; astonish greatly.

--What amazes you most about this hobby?
How accessible it is for those with the aptitude for learning and a fat wallet. It's always been expensive but now the groundwork has been done to make the odds of success much more favorable. Couple that with the internet and a noob like me, who's wanted to do this for a long time, can get started and see positive results!

--What amazing thing has happened in your very own reef tank?
As mentioned, I'm a noob and my tank has only had life in it for a couple of months, but every time I walk by I have to stop and gaze with sudden wonder. How's everyone doing? Quick inventory and status check of the livestock, then I can get lost in the environment. Whether it's the coral beauty angel swimming from side to side or the pom pom xenia swaying back and forth while the polyp tips open and close, I sit there slack-jawed as I admire this little biosphere I've created.

Jim

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find so many things in my tanks to be remarkable! I think I'm amazed all the time!

Most recently, my new tank just got its first diatoms showing up. There's life in there! Dry sand, dry rocks, and a bottle bought online, and there are things I can see growing in there! It really is amazing.

In my old tank I just finally caught my peppermint shrimp releasing her larvae. Unbelievable sight! The cloud of tiny things filling the tank under the light of my flashlight. Amazing!

My tuxedo urchin. Such a simple creature. But he uses those crazy tube feet and travels the rocks tirelessly, collecting hats, eating algae, and just plain looking amazing.

My first coral was a kenya tree that arrived essentially DOA. Put it in the tank and it disintegrated. Left the rock in the tank since it had some coralline algae on it. Then one day I saw this tiny, and I mean itty bitty nub on it. That nub is now many times bigger than the original frag was supposed to be! Amazing!

Pulsing Xenia. Plant? Animal? This coral is so alive! How does it do that? I started out as a fish person. This was the coral that really started my love for corals. So amazing!

Hermit crabs trying to change shells without losing the eggs clustered on their backs, clowns choosing a Mexican Turbo as a host, pistol shrimp arguing with gobies over whether or not a snail belongs in the cave!

This hobby is amazing!

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then they got bigger.

2.jpg

Sadly I lost them but not before getting a couple frags out to other reefers.

I’m currently in the “then they got bigger” phase myself.

I had some metal contamination which nearly killed this plate coral. I would say it lost 90% of its healthy growth, but after finding the culprit and nursing it back to health the mother is slowly growing while I have numerous babies sprouting.

how did you drag? I’m curious as to how I can save some of the babies while continuing to rehab the mother.

(Currently battling cyano, but the corals are all healthy from the increased bioload)

312C2655-2448-4555-B897-DD7DCBA0D9FC.jpeg

B289041D-B4E7-432E-9A2D-907D2BC2942B.jpeg

5A46CA9C-45BB-41D6-9CA6-F1DD715DF97A.jpeg

SkinnyMcGinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke down a 55-gallon saltwater tank, and left it in my garage for about 10 months, with a few inches of fetid water in the bottom, winter/summer, no heater, no water turnover, NO LIGHT. Then, Setting up a new tank, I pulled out one of the rocks, popped it in my new tank, and in within two days some green dragon eye zoanthids that survived were opening up, and doing great! I couldn't believe it. Funny thing is, they lived and grew into a pretty big colony -- until a bigger colony of blue discoasomas wiped em out.

Back