AMAZING! What amazing thing have you experienced in your reef aquarium?

Do you consider the hobby of keeping saltwater reef aquarums amazing?

• YES

Votes: 429 96.8%
  • NO

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are so many things that happen in this hobby that just make you go "wow!" What's even better is when some of those amazing things happen in your very on ocean ecosystem! Today let's talk about amazing things in the hobby and what you might have experienced in your own reef aquarium!

1. What amazes you most about this hobby?

2. What amazing thing has happened in your very own reef tank?

For me it was my amazing story was of the red fungia plate coral that died and then began to reproduce baby red corals. I didn't throw the skeleton away and then noticed little red dots that eventually turned into babies. :) This was a photo of the mother that died.

445.jpg

Them the babies started growing on the skeleton.

plate3.jpg

plate2.jpg

Then they got bigger.

2.jpg

Sadly I lost them but not before getting a couple frags out to other reefers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

The amount and type of new equipment, fish and coral that are introduced annually

The development of growth and balance within the mixed reef.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The variation of the animals and the systems.

I had a total annihilation of all montis (infection) so I stopped keeping them for fear of more infection. Two years later, one began to grow again on the dead skeleton.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It’s amazing to see the development of an ecosystem literally from the ground up. From bacteria to diatoms to algae to coralline to pods to inverts to animals. Watching that develop before your eyes is amazing.

2. Similarly, watching my female leopard wrasse transform into a male over a couple weeks was pretty amazing!

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I'm the only "Other" in the votes. I don't feel like reef keeping is amazing in itself. It evolves lots of maintenance. LOTS of research and knowledge gathering. You are playing god with the creatures and when things don't go well it falls solely on yourself. Then while walking by tank one day and notice a coral is looking good that day and fall into a deep trance as you stand with your nose against the glass till your eyes cross and you remember. You grew a piece of ocean. and that is AMAZING.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres not any one thing in particular that amazes me. However, this hobby has so many parts to it. Its so much more diverse than any freshwater tank I have had. Between all the parameters we need to watch, care of different fish species and even down to the microfauna in our tanks. Its just a lot to learn. And it takes years!

The only thing that I can think of that happened in my system is when I thought I lost a smooth-skin acro. It was completely white. Placed it on the sand and a few weeks later is was back to a lush green and growing. Its now my “indicator” coral. If the slightest thing is wrong its the first one to tell me. Usually I can tell what the issue is just in this one coral.

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes is amazing, what amazes me is how the tank becomes its own ecosystem, how every day I llok at the tank and something new happened, sand was moved, new critter show up, stuff growing stuff dying.

lagoon360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always amazed of what can grow from live rock. I once had a system that was very mature, actually the same live rock in 3 different tanks over about 18 years. A rather large clam eventually grew within the rock not to mention some cool macro algae and peanut worms among more common things.

SRQreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole thing is amazing. The best part for me is watching the excitement in my kids eyes as things grow and change - they are just as invested in the ecosystem as I am, and love helping out with the maintenance. Over the years, we've hatched sharks, propagated and fragged corals, raised all manner of fish and crustacean and pretty much managed our own little tropical ocean. Its just a great hobby.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink Streaked Wrasse was lethargic for over 24h, position himself on the rocks barely moving. I thought he was a goner, saw him spit a Mysis when I fed the next day and is back to normal.

MThorne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The amount of information that one must sort through to see what works in their individual ocean ecosystem.

well it's not in my reef so to speak...but the understanding of how delicate a reef can be and how in the heck they have managed to stay as long as they did with all us homosapiens on the planet throwing plastic around like it's not toxic...lol

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the whole hoby amazing. That I can actually grow coral. When I look at my tank and look wow that grew that big.

The other thing that amazes me is the fact I can cut give it to another reefer and watch it grow in their tank.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that Urchin munching on a frag plug? And that is a big crab.
The urchin is eating an algae wafer I gave it.
That is a stone crab. It came on my live rock except it was tiny when I got it. That was the day we removed him from the 240. My daughter helped me catch him. He is bigger now and lives in my sump.
i-vLWcwNL-M.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • None.

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back