AMAZING! What amazing thing have you experienced in your reef aquarium?

Do you consider the hobby of keeping saltwater reef aquarums amazing?

• YES

Votes: 429 96.8%
  • NO

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve witnessed many amazing things. My favorite surprise was finding a baby bangai cardinal thriving in the overflow.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on baby clowns been a first for me now ive had 10 clutches or so. This was their first shot at it. Every 10 weeks babies hatch and new eggs appear.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am not going to look at the other comments past page one before i comment.
what i find amazing is questions like this. not necessarily the question but the answers. i don't know about you but thinking about my answer gets me grinning and pumped about the hobby. eager even. in my own tank i have been amazed by the creatures that i did not plan that showed up!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thing, when I come home from a stressful day at work, I look at my tank and almost instantly I de-stress. When I look at my tank it brings me back to my childhood in Miami, FL. The reminds me of going to Crandon Park in the 4th grade, or going to John Pennekamp state park while in the BSA. Now that brings a big ole' smile to my face. Very fond memories. :) :) :)

Fish & Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There are so many things that happen in this hobby that just make you go "wow!" What's even better is when some of those amazing things happen in your very on ocean ecosystem! Today let's talk about amazing things in the hobby and what you might have experienced in your own reef aquarium!

1. What amazes you most about this hobby?

2. What amazing thing has happened in your very own reef tank?

For me it was my amazing story was of the red fungia plate coral that died and then began to reproduce baby red corals. I didn't throw the skeleton away and then noticed little red dots that eventually turned into babies. :) This was a photo of the mother that died.

445.jpg

Them the babies started growing on the skeleton.

plate3.jpg

plate2.jpg

Then they got bigger.

2.jpg

Sadly I lost them but not before getting a couple frags out to other reefers.

What amazes me is all the different types and the forms of life we try to keep.

What amazing thing happened in the reef is the interaction between all marine life inside the aquarium

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am amazed every time i look at my tank. there is always something going on. like when my orange starfish lost a leg, yes it grew back but i could not believe his leg that got cut off from a pump grew legs of its own and a body! and i now have 2 orange starfish. also my brain coral one day came out of his skeleton and was blowing from the pumps then went to the corner bottom tank shrunk and under a rock it went. thought it was a goner then weeks went by and it surfaced again, it puffed ate then shrunk then disappeared again under the rocks. then it came out again weeks later. this went on for months. when it surfaced again puffed up and it split and i had two of them and both went under the rocks. i find that amazing that a brain coral can still live after it separates off its skeleton .. still waiting to see if they come out of the rocks again.. so as i was cleaning the tank i found another skeleton upside down that had been there i cant even remember what coral it came from and when i pulled it up it was really white and had a light pink streak in it so i kept it in the water and sure enough the coral is growing back. it has to be years old, but it is pure white i have no idea what coral it is, because i never had a pure white coral. there are so many other amazing things that has happened in my tanks from seahorses giving birth to corals spawning . to many to mention. all i know is i go to do something in my tank and next thing i know its hours later. its like the best show, diving without getting wet. Nature at its finest.

20191204_131308.jpg 20191204_123257.jpg 20200518_194835.jpg Resized_20200726_180100001.jpeg 20200725_154316.jpg

EFlop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals. They're anatomy is relatively simple compared to a lot of organisms on this planet, yet they are probably the most alien-like I've ever seen. Every coral looks so crazy and cool.

My snuggle beans. My 2 clownfish like to host my frogspawn at night when they sleep lol.

RYcube2951

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, seeing new coral poly's appear and grow is amazing. Also, I never knew what bubble algae looked like until I had 2 of them in my tank. They were very tiny and at first glance I didn't know what they were. But when they jiggled I knew they were bubble algae!

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, i've have had few in this 1st year of reefing, this is one from the 2nd month of the tank after I introduced 2 FireFish to the tank and they starting spawning on the sand bottom right after lights out.

Attachments

• IMG_1865.m4v
    23.1 MB

RYcube2951

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a monie cowrie for about 3 weeks. One night a couple weeks ago the cowrie was attached to a rock. The next morning I couldn't find him and have not seen him since. I have to assume it died and is somewhere in the rocks.

Back