Amino acid concentrate

missycme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone -i have a question -has anyone ever tried the amino acid concentrate from the feed store meant for cattle horses and sheep???if so what do you think and if not...why?

OP
OP
missycme

missycme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1596814693361.png

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that nobody knows the answer as nobody's tried using it before. What's the AA concentration profile of the concentrate vs commercial reefing brands? Are there any large differences, such as added ingredients?

OP
OP
missycme

missycme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that nobody knows the answer as nobody's tried using it before. What's the AA concentration profile of the concentrate vs commercial reefing brands? Are there any large differences, such as added ingredients?
to be honest i cant tell you because iv never bought amino acid for commercial reefing but the bottle is for cattle horses and sheep,-i give it to my dogs that had a bad skin algery(5 drops everyday) has this on it:
1597265991505.png
1597266055396.png

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool.
I don’t see anything that jumps out ”not reef safe.“
Maybe the preservatives in a nano tank?

OP
OP
missycme

missycme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats the only thing that jumped out at me was the preservatives, but they are feeding this to animals that we eat !-any one has amino for reef that they can compare this with?i also looked for the not reef safe but nothing is stated anywhere on the bottle.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find this thread useful: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-often-do-you-dose-amino-acids.709684/

On page two of the thread a study is linked that relates to your question. I quoted the conclusion of the study here:

Conclusions In summary, all five species of scleractinian corals tested could synthesize at least 16 of the 20 protein amino acids, eight of which are essential in other Metazoa examined so far. It remains to be determined whether attached or coelenteric bacteria are responsible for some of the synthesis. Even if bacteria are in fact responsible for the synthesis, however, this finding is significant from an ecological-unit perspective. If coral gut bacteria or bacterial endosymbionts regularly convert sugars (which reef corals receive from their zooxanthellae) into amino acids, and if corals have access to bacterial products (e.g. digestion of bacteria or bacterial excretion of amino acids into the coelenteron), then in a functional sense corals have a previously unaccounted-for source of protein and amino acids. Despite the apparent ability of corals to synthesize some essential amino acids, rates of amino acid synthesis seem to be greater for those amino acids that are typically non-essential, and slower for those amino acids that are typically essential, with the exception of histidine. The role of synthesis in satisfying metabolic requirements for ‘essential’ amino acids still needs to be determined.

It appears that corals (Cndarian) use more amino acids that than other organisms like humans, rats, fish, and chickens. It seems that the product you found, because it was not develop for corals may be missing some key acids. Probably safer to go with a product developed specifically for our aquariums.

OP
OP
missycme

missycme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find this thread useful: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-often-do-you-dose-amino-acids.709684/

On page two of the thread a study is linked that relates to your question. I quoted the conclusion of the study here:

Conclusions In summary, all five species of scleractinian corals tested could synthesize at least 16 of the 20 protein amino acids, eight of which are essential in other Metazoa examined so far. It remains to be determined whether attached or coelenteric bacteria are responsible for some of the synthesis. Even if bacteria are in fact responsible for the synthesis, however, this finding is significant from an ecological-unit perspective. If coral gut bacteria or bacterial endosymbionts regularly convert sugars (which reef corals receive from their zooxanthellae) into amino acids, and if corals have access to bacterial products (e.g. digestion of bacteria or bacterial excretion of amino acids into the coelenteron), then in a functional sense corals have a previously unaccounted-for source of protein and amino acids. Despite the apparent ability of corals to synthesize some essential amino acids, rates of amino acid synthesis seem to be greater for those amino acids that are typically non-essential, and slower for those amino acids that are typically essential, with the exception of histidine. The role of synthesis in satisfying metabolic requirements for ‘essential’ amino acids still needs to be determined.

It appears that corals (Cndarian) use more amino acids that than other organisms like humans, rats, fish, and chickens. It seems that the product you found, because it was not develop for corals may be missing some key acids. Probably safer to go with a product developed specifically for our aquariums.
this is a very good read indeed!!so if im understanding this correctly though it may not have all the key acids it could still be beneficial ?-can the other foods i feed ,maybe have these missing key acids in them(reef roids ,brine,spirulina,fresh gulf shrimp ,life spectrum and formula one pellets)? i mean it has to be benificial or they wouldnt put it in our livestock...right?and i do give it to my dogs and it is helping them alot ,no more rough skin -coat is shiny again-much better-thats what started all this-lol-i confess im not to bright in the scientific world but am doing my best to TRY and understand all this-so every bit does truly help me!!!!and i thank you very much for your input!!!!!

Back