Amino Acids Dosing Amount and SPS Acros

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious...

Do you follow the directions as far as dosing, or go higher/lower?

Some of my SPS Acros are getting a little pale. Numbers are good (8.5, 440, 1360, .04, 5) with par at about 400 up high. The tank is coming up on 2 years old.

I aso dose red sea trace elements exception for iodine. ICP shows it gets way too high so I just do water changes instead. The rest of the trace ellements look fine.

I currently dose Acro power 3 days a week and Reef Energy 2 days a week following the supplied instructions.

Was thinking about doubling but curious what the consequences are, other than wasting it.

Thoughts?

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious...

Do you follow the directions as far as dosing, or go higher/lower?

Some of my SPS Acros are getting a little pale. Numbers are good (8.5, 440, 1360, .04, 5) with par at about 400 up high. The tank is coming up on 2 years old.

I aso dose red sea trace elements exception for iodine. ICP shows it gets way too high so I just do water changes instead. The rest of the trace ellements look fine.

I currently dose Acro power 3 days a week and Reef Energy 2 days a week following the supplied instructions.

Was thinking about doubling but curious what the consequences are, other than wasting it.

Thoughts?
I dose half the max twice a day. I noticed better polyp extension on everything from zoas to sps. I'm a believer.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm guessing that too much can feed lurking undesirables. I dose ~20ml of RedSea AB+ in my 100g with Acro mini colonies and frags several times per week with the return pump off for just over an hour during feeding and phyto dosing.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose small amounts of aminos all day long.
I have AcroPower and ME Polyp Extender on an automated dosing schedule.
Just 1 ml per hour, alternating between the two. So 12 ml of each, 24 ml total per day.

I also hand dose some AB+ mixed with Seachem Fuel a few times a week. I don't dose those via a doser because I keep them in the fridge.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose small amounts of aminos all day long.
I have AcroPower and ME Polyp Extender on an automated dosing schedule.
Just 1 ml per hour, alternating between the two. So 12 ml of each, 24 ml total per day.

I also hand dose some AB+ mixed with Seachem Fuel a few times a week. I don't dose those via a doser because I keep them in the fridge.
Into a 10 gallon tank? Seems like a lot. Point: without says what size tank, amount of corals and what type the info is not very useful.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you all been adding the amino acids? Any negative impacts? My friend was dosing the max of acropower and the flesh on some of his acros started peeling off. After doing some research, he realized that he wasn’t the only one with that issue.
now, I have some acropower that just sits on my shell…..hahaha

corey

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose oysters, the fish love it and it’s high in amino acids

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing Red Sea AB+ and Acropower for a year or so and have noticed the following side effects
1. Good SPS Polyp Extension
2. Exceptional SPS color
3. Increase in LPS Color and feeding habits
4. Increase in Zoa color and polyp extension.
5. Increase in Aiptasia multiplication

Reefjak_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you all been adding the amino acids? Any negative impacts? My friend was dosing the max of acropower and the flesh on some of his acros started peeling off. After doing some research, he realized that he wasn’t the only one with that issue.
now, I have some acropower that just sits on my shell…..hahaha

corey
Ive tried dosing acropower on two different occasions when my system had been healthy and both times I had a few colonies run & stn the couple days following the recommended dose... with that being said I have buddies that dose it with no issues...

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes @Reefjak_ , it’s weird how it helps some systems and not others. I wonder if it works better in established systems. I dont know

corey

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back