Ammonia alert showing green in QT

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up an emergency QT. Added freshly mixed saltwater and also added a small bottle of instant ocean biospira. The ammonia alert is showing green. Don't have an ammonia test to validate it. The biospira was added an hour ago.

What is the best course of action? Should I get a ammonia test? Could the ammonia alert be wrong?

20201026_123205.jpg

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like i am supposed to shine a white light behind the ammonia alert badge to get the correct color. It is showing yellow. So all good.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust those badges, especially if they tell me everything is okay... rather test ammonia with a reliable test kit. And for pH I would just get a pH decent meter.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better light helps, but also the ammonia badge takes several hours to adjust. It’s in the instructions. I don’t even bother to look at it until the next day, personally.

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the badges. They claim one year at 10 months you’ll be panicking again. I think it’s a great idea. But unfortunately tests are the only way. They just aren’t reliable. Plus you don’t want that stuff in your display. PH isn’t always a big deal. They sell it too people for $3 Extra a bottle at grocery store lol. PH isn’t hard to adjust as others have posted. Yours is for Freshwater. It’s probably not reading correctly as content alone can effect PH.

I’m in the bottled water business. Spring Water has a higher PH in summer. Then some moron tests the spring water in winter and wonders why it dropped. Less minerals leaching to the spring. Ditch the badges just do tests.

Last edited:
OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia alert is about three months old. This is the fourth round I am doing QT using these alerts and didn't have an issue before. I agree it may not be as accurate as a test. I will get one this week just to be safe.

I also did not know that ph alert is only for freshwater. I just put it there because it just came with it. I wasn't even looking at it.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSA: They’re fine in a QT and recommended due to copper interfering with ammonia titration tests.
Only reason to use copper would be Amyloodinium/Velvet. Everything else can be treated with better and less harmful medications/methods. Even velvet could be treated with better medications or methods.
For Cryptocaryon nothing beats tank transfers. Add PraziPro to that and you have most of the usual suspects covered.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason to use copper would be Amyloodinium/Velvet. Everything else can be treated with better and less harmful medications/methods. Even velvet could be treated with better medications or methods.
For Cryptocaryon nothing beats tank transfers. Add PraziPro to that and you have most of the usual suspects covered.
Ok? Not sure what any of that has to do with my comment or these badges in general.

Back