Ammonia and Nitrite no change after 13 days…fishless???

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a very up to date plan. the system will carry those even easier.

I believe if you input a decent amount of corals and cuc and begin active feeding of diverse feed like reef nutrition roti pods, I use those when available from my store, and water changes to export this good feed before it degrades (and also be using those water change step ups to be siphoning out algae, diatoms, new tank uglies) it'll begin growing coral now.

The old rules about requiring a matured tank just isn't true any longer.

We have food diversity nowadays that simply makes up for lack of food chain established on live rocks, we just need to be busy inputting and exporting hq feed to keep clean undegraded protein in suspension and corals will eat it up

Don't allow tank uglies like the masses do, lift out an offending rock, burn off any offending growths with peroxide and scraped off clean and set back.

Siphon up messes on the sand, make use of the easy access a nano affords to skip all the headaches large tankers can't skip due to too big to intervene.

Since you are cycled, you can begin all that business and your cycle won't undo. Any testing of ammonia you do once animals are added is not expected to be zero- this heads off future stalled cycle concern possibilities. The only thing that matters is that what you're about to add will live. Cycle is set

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks don't run zero ammonia when stocked they run low levels in constant turnover state into nitrite. So that small reading level of ammonia tricks the masses into thinking all their stuff is going to die when it's not. We expect a stocked reef to not read zero ammonia. And if it does happen to not a problem, even lower levels exist that the test kit can't pick up. All these varying expressions are way under toxicity, it's why everyone's fish lives.

OP
OP
TIDE09

TIDE09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Thanks for the help. I added some pods, phyto, and some PNS Substrate Sauce.

Going to look into getting some snails and a hermit awhile, probably add them this weekend. Possibly a coral if something catches my eye.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back