Ammonia and Nitrite spikes after adding livestock

fideladio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,

I just finished cycling my reef tank, ammonia and nitrite where reading at zero.

Yesterday I visited my LFS and bought 2 juvenile fish, I acclimated them properly and introduced them to their new home.

Today I made a water test and I got positive readings on Ammonia and Nitrite.

Is this normal?

Please help.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,

I just finished cycling my reef tank, ammonia and nitrite where reading at zero.

Yesterday I visited my LFS and bought 2 juvenile fish, I acclimated them properly and introduced them to their new home.

Today I made a water test and I got positive readings on Ammonia and Nitrite.

Is this normal?

Please help.
what size is the tank? what were the readings that you got?

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any time you add things to the tank. the tank has to catch up to the load that has been introduced. I take it the tank is pretty new since you said it just finished cycling. how old is the tank exactly? If you have some ammonia neutralizer, this should help. ammonia at any detectable amount is a bad thing for the inhabitants.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided you have rock and sand. Added some ammonia or food to feed the bacteria over a period of time (lets say 4 weeks). You should be ok. If you didnt do this then you might not have enough bacteria to process the ammonia the fish and food are adding to the tank.

OP
OP
F

fideladio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided you have rock and sand. Added some ammonia or food to feed the bacteria over a period of time (lets say 4 weeks). You should be ok. If you didnt do this then you might not have enough bacteria to process the ammonia the fish and food are adding to the tank.
Thanks, I do have rock and sand and I did use Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter Dry Rock Bacteria Starter Kit.

Back