Ammonia as route cause to all nuisance in the hobby.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this then imply that not only is porosity in rocks poor conduit for nitrification/denitrification but also claims of using porpous materials such as Matrix (pumice) and bricks by Brightwell and Marine Pure nothing more than marketing without function?
I deliberately used non porous rock and plastic aerated media. No problems detected thus far.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this then imply that not only is porosity in rocks poor conduit for nitrification/denitrification but also claims of using porpous materials such as Matrix (pumice) and bricks by Brightwell and Marine Pure nothing more than marketing without function?
As nitrification media - you have solved the Gordian knot - In the long run it is not better than to use a solid plastic brick. As denitrification media it can work but in very slow paste - mostly the same way as an DSB - if you use DOC at the same time (Dissolved Organic Carbon)

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deliberately used non porous rock and plastic aerated media.
As nitrification media - together with a strong stream of oxygen rich water through the filter media - its perfect

Sincerely Lasse

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As nitrification media - you have solved the Gordian knot - In the long run it is not better than to use a solid plastic brick. As denitrification media it can work but in very slow paste - mostly the same way as an DSB - if you use DOC at the same time (Dissolved Organic Carbon)

Sincerely Lasse
We are back to external surface area then. Interesting.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This explains why aquabiomics testing often comes back with low nitrifying bacteria in the systems. The area they colonise has a lot of competition for ammonia.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note - I have not tested either of the methods you mentioned. I base my opinion on only known methods for efficient nitrification and denitrification. There is a process described as recently as 1999 that to my knowledge has not yet been confirmed in aquarium conditions - namely anammox, It is a process where NH4 is oxidized under oxygen-free conditions. Theoretically, it could occur in a "bio block" but it requires some type of flow through - IMO - and this special strains of bacteria.

Sincerely Lasse

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This explains why aquabiomics testing often comes back with low nitrifying bacteria in the systems. The area they colonise has a lot of competition for ammonia.
Well yes, also corals, plants, algae, etc. may draw on the ammonia as well. This would explain why a tank whose rock is totally covered in corals is not going to kill your fish with ammonia poisoning. It also would suggest then that bottled bacteria is not really helpful except in getting a tank fish ready very fast.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes, also corals, plants, algae, etc. may draw on the ammonia as well. This would explain why a tank whose rock is totally covered in corals is not going to kill your fish with ammonia poisoning. It also would suggest then that bottled bacteria is not really helpful except in getting a tank fish ready very fast.
All autotrophic organisms living in the rock surface will use ammonia (nuisance or beneficial). Have you ever seen a live rock next to a dry rock during a tank cycling and the live rock stays nice and clean and the rest of the tank is full of diatoms? The surface of the rock is full of life to deal with the ammonia that’s the only difference.

With bottled bacteria we back at nutrient and carbon dosing to manage ammonia, folks don’t realize that most product aimed at cleaning are actually dosing DOC with some bacteria that most likely is already present in the system, one could get the same benefits by just dosing DOC.

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing from the live rock test mentioned above demonstrating that live rock can’t deal with increasing ammonia levels effectively even in mature systems and much less effective in new systems as coxey test demonstrates I believe we have enough evidence to support ammonia being the culprit to all known nuisances during the ugly stage and during the systems maturing process. The tests mentioned above were verified by many knowledge members on R2R as they were happening and the way they were performed by several members brought consist results. In addition to those tests @Beuchat made several testing on how to eradicate dinoflagellates, from his article he mentioned that natural sources of carbohydrates make the eradication process more efficient, for those who know carbohydrates are used elsewhere in the hobby to stimulate the growth and division of nitrifying and denitrifying autotrophic bacteria, a very effective bacteria at processing ammonia into nitrates and nitrogen gas. My intention soon is to carry out a new test hopefully with enough information to demonstrate that all nuisances can be avoided during the ugly stage using natural sources of carbohydrates to keep ammonia levels under control in new systems making the ugly stage normality a thing from the past, so that many others don’t have to deal with a stage and nuisances that can be avoided by implementing good nutrition for beneficial bacteria from day one.

the testing thread can be find here for those curious on the results

Hi sixty_reefer, just to provide some clarification about my article. The method to erradicate dinoflagelates is based on carbon dosing, that is mainly simple chemical forms like alcohol, acetic acid, glucose and so on. These "carbohydrates" are used mainly by heterotrophic bacteria, removing nitrate and phosphate when reproducing and building biofilms. In this process inorganic nutrients are reduced so less availability for algae.

Nitrifying bacteria are autotrophic mainly, transforming amonia and nitrite into nitrate. These bacteria do not use organic carbon, they use inorganic carbon in the form of the dissolved CO2 in the aquarium water. The more nitrifying activity in the tank, the more nitrate will be generated (more risk of nuisance algae). So, we need to always balance with a denitrification process (using carbon dosing, for example).

Hope it helps.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi sixty_reefer, just to provide some clarification about my article. The method to erradicate dinoflagelates is based on carbon dosing, that is mainly simple chemical forms like alcohol, acetic acid, glucose and so on. These "carbohydrates" are used mainly by heterotrophic bacteria, removing nitrate and phosphate when reproducing and building biofilms. In this process inorganic nutrients are reduced so less availability for algae.

Nitrifying bacteria are autotrophic mainly, transforming amonia and nitrite into nitrate. These bacteria do not use organic carbon, they use inorganic carbon in the form of the dissolved CO2 in the aquarium water. The more nitrifying activity in the tank, the more nitrate will be generated (more risk of nuisance algae). So, we need to always balance with a denitrification process (using carbon dosing, for example).

Hope it helps

I know you put the term carbohydrates in quotes, perhaps questioning the accuracy of the term, but I just want to reiterate a point I've made many times in other threads, neither ethanol nor acetic acid are really considered carbohydrates. Ethanol does not fit the strict definition, and despite fitting the literal definition, few if any chemists consider acetic acid a carbohydrate.

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all the contributers of this tread for sharing you knowledge.
My question is : In order to fight/avoid nuisance algeas, should the focus be on reducing Ammonia or Nitrate ?
Correct me if I'm wong, but I would expect the answer to be "both" since nuisance algeas are able to utilize N from both , but reducing ammonia increase nitrate.

I'm trying to find the right setup to keep my sps corals thriving and get rid of turf algeas, and thinking how to use the information from this thread.
Some sps corals has got the colour back, and new frags are growing :)
My tank (750L) is on the way back on track after "over-heating" this summer (high temperuture -> loss of micro fauna -> high ammonia -> high nutrients -> loss several fish and sps corals) and now having lots of turf algeas.
Dosing carbon (NP-bacto balance), TM ReesActif, live phyto and fish food (for the fish) also having a bucket refugium with chaeto.
Using patience, water changes, carbon dosing (and TM Elimi-Phos rapid) PO4 is lowered from 0,24 to 0,034 and NO3 from ++100 to 20.

I have implemented a filter instead of a BM fleeeceroller, it's like an open carnister filter made of seval layers of filter mat (26cm) providing a large surface for nitrifying bacteria and removing lots of material from the water. Currently cleaning the filter twice a week (super easy to clean changing the filtermats) .
But if I did not cleaned the filter that often more bacteria would grow on the surface area transforming more ammonia to nitrate

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is : In order to fight/avoid nuisance algeas, should the focus be on reducing Ammonia or Nitrate ?
Correct me if I'm wong, but I would expect the answer to be "both" since nuisance algeas are able to utilize N from both , but reducing ammonia increase nitrate.

I do not think it is clear that either one is necessarily the answer.

Lowering nutrients in general is often not successful without hurting something you want to keep, and unless N is or becomes a limiting nutrient, it won't matter. In the case, something else is already limiting the growth (P, trace metals, light, space, etc.)

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all the contributers of this tread for sharing you knowledge.

I'm trying to find the right setup to keep my sps corals thriving and get rid of turf algeas, and thinking how to use the information from this thread.
Some sps corals has got the colour back, and new frags are growing :)
My tank (750L) is on the way back on track after "over-heating" this summer (high temperuture -> loss of micro fauna -> high ammonia -> high nutrients -> loss several fish and sps corals) and now having lots of turf algeas.
Dosing carbon (NP-bacto balance), TM ReesActif, live phyto and fish food (for the fish) also having a bucket refugium with chaeto.
Using patience, water changes, carbon dosing (and TM Elimi-Phos rapid) PO4 is lowered from 0,24 to 0,034 and NO3 from ++100 to 20.

I have implemented a filter instead of a BM fleeeceroller, it's like an open carnister filter made of seval layers of filter mat (26cm) providing a large surface for nitrifying bacteria and removing lots of material from the water. Currently cleaning the filter twice a week (super easy to clean changing the filtermats) .
But if I did not cleaned the filter that often more bacteria would grow on the surface area transforming more ammonia to nitrate
I’ve come to the conclusion that corals need ammonium and not nitrates. Another (don’t recall) recently mentioned the same and stated nitrates were merely a buffer should ammonium be absent. Went as far as recommending the dosing of ammonium chloride which makes sense. Plants and algae down concert nitrates and nitrites to ammonium. Taking that directly being more efficient. At least that’s my understanding of how plants and algae take in those types of nutrients.

My current testing is to dose carbon to bottom out nitrates yet overfeed to ensure a constant flow of ammonium is present from detritus as well as that fish produce. Repeatedly letting nitrates escalate then drop via dosing. Nuisance algae shows itself when dosing is stopped then goes away when reintroduced. Currently have only one Xenia as a sacrificial canary in a coal mine but plan on adding softies and moving up the line to SPS to confirm this assumption.

No skimmer or WC. Will be sending an ICP out which I think will confirm my trace might be low in certain areas but purely speculation. Only animals that haven’t thrives being recently introduced Blue leg hermits. All seem dead. Yet various snails have survived. Some a year plus. Margaritas have even reproduced. Had an urchin that lasted several months. Xenia a couple of months plus.

I’d consider not cleaning that canister until flow impeded. An option being a combination of pumice and smaller gravel to trap detritus and allow it to decompose naturally. Remaining component being mulm (hummus) which takes less space and longer to clog. BTW, not convinced that cleaning bio media even in tap kills the underlying bacteria. Learned that long ago and used to not worry about that but current setup doesn’t allow me to do that but a test I’ll at some point conduct. Perhaps those with an actual scientific knowledge of nitrifying/denitrifying bacteria can confirm or correct my belief.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I was just pointing out that the same thing you just said, stimulating the heterotrophic bacteria with DOC also reduces ammonia not just nitrates, and I was pointing out that you mentioned in the thread that carbohydrates ( glucose and molasses) in form of brown sugar were considered fairly efficient in aquaculture this form of carbohydrates mainly molasses is also used in biofloc in order to increase capacity in aquaculture being very effective at controlling ammonia in overstocked system.

Hope it helps.
O believe that dissolved organic carbon plays an essential role in the denitrification process as it supplies energy for N2O, N2 and CO2 producing reactions, if my understanding is not wrong, is not used directly by denitrifying bacteria. It’s commonly used in plenums to aid denitrification.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, not convinced that cleaning bio media even in tap kills the underlying bacteria
There is a thread about this. Using live rock. Rock after a scrub in tap was still able to clear ammonia. Not as fast though.

Do I see us going back to wet/dry filters soon!!???

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture is a lot more complicated than just ammonia and nitrates which are different forms of Dissolved Inorganic Nitrogen (DIN). All the organisms in our systems are also dealing with Dissolved Organic Nitrogen (DON) and Particulate Organic Nitrogen (PON). And since DOC (aka carbon dosing) has been mentioned how it affects the many microbiomes in our system adds probably several more orders of complexity.

Here's a data bomb for those interested in looking at the research. For those who don't want to go down the various rabbit holes what I've learned in 4 decades of keeping reefs systems is do your water changes, use urchins and herbivorus hermits and manual removal for any nuisance algae and keep an eye on alkalinity, calcium and magnesium and adjust what is being fed and done for the growth seen.

Nitrogen Stuff​

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

Ammonium Uptake by Symbiotic and Aposymbiotic Reef Corals

Amino acids a source of nitrogen for corals

Urea a source of nitrogen for corals

Diazotrpophs a source of nitrogen for corals

Context Dependant Effects of Nutrient Loading on the Coral-Algal Mutualism

Nutrient transfer in a marine mutualism: patterns of ammonia excretion by anemonefish and uptake by giant sea anemones

Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching

Prevalence of potential nitrogen-fixing, green sulfur bacteria in the skeleton of reef-building coral Isopora palifera

Functional significance of dinitrogen fixation in sustaining coral productivity under oligotrophic conditions
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26511052/

Sponge Loop Conserves resources in Coral Reefs (recycles C and N)

Carbon Stuff​

DOC can be roughly seperated into three catagories, Labile, Semirefractory and Refractory. Most of the following papaers are looking mainly at Labile DOC. This will raise the hackles on some reefers but keep in mind Labile DOC and Carbon Dosing are synonamous. Jasper deGeoij's work shows cryptic sponges remove labile DOC about a thousand times faster than bacterioplankton. Included are links to some of the research showing what cryptic sponges are doing as well. ROhwer's book and video are excellent introductions to the subject of DOC and microbeial processses.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Global microbialization of coral reefs (Rohwer's DDAM Theory Proven)

long-term stony coral survival in the Coral Reef Exhibit at Reef HQ Aquarium, Townsville, Australia with an ATS was measured in days, not years. (See figure 3) (This page may have been removed, I can send you a copy of the .PDF if you're interested)

Indirect effects of algae on coral: algae‐mediated, microbe‐induced coral mortality

Influence of coral and algal exudates on microbially mediated reef metabolism.
Coral DOC improves oxygen (autotrophy), algae DOC reduces oxygen (heterotrophy).

Role of elevated organic carbon levels and microbial activity in coral mortality

Effects of Coral Reef Benthic Primary Producers on Dissolved Organic Carbon and Microbial Activity
Algae releases significantly more DOC into the water than coral.

Pathologies and mortality rates caused by organic carbon and nutrient stressors in three Caribbean coral species.
DOC caused coral death but not high nitrates, phosphates or ammonium.

Visualization of oxygen distribution patterns caused by coral and algae

Biological oxygen demand optode analysis of coral reef-associated microbial communities exposed to algal exudates
Exposure to exudates derived from turf algae stimulated higher oxygen drawdown by the coral-associated bacteria.

Microbial ecology: Algae feed a shift on coral reefs

Coral and macroalgal exudates vary in neutral sugar composition and differentially enrich reef bacterioplankton lineages.

Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching

Elevated ammonium delays the impairment of the coral-dinoflagellate symbiosis during labile carbon pollution
(here's an argument for maintaining heavy fish loads if you're carbon dosing)

Excess labile carbon promotes the expression of virulence factors in coral reef bacterioplankton

Unseen players shape benthic competition on coral reefs.

Allelochemicals Produced by Brown Macroalgae of the Lobophora Genus Are Active against Coral Larvae and Associated Bacteria, Supporting Pathogenic Shifts to Vibrio Dominance.

Macroalgae decrease growth and alter microbial community structure of the reef-building coral, Porites astreoides.

Macroalgal extracts induce bacterial assemblage shifts and sublethal tissue stress in Caribbean corals.

Biophysical and physiological processes causing oxygen loss from coral reefs.

Global microbialization of coral reefs
DDAM Proven

Coral Reef Microorganisms in a Changing Climate, Fig 3

Ecosystem Microbiology of Coral Reefs: Linking Genomic, Metabolomic, and Biogeochemical Dynamics from Animal Symbioses to Reefscape Processes

Sponge Stuff​

BActeria and Sponges

lement cycling on tropical coral reefs.
This is Jasper de Geoij's ground breaking research on reef sponge finding some species process labile DOC 1000X faster than bacterioplankton. (The introduction is in Dutch but the content is in English.)

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Differential recycling of coral and algal dissolved organic matter via the sponge loop.
Sponges treat DOC from algae differently than DOC from corals

A Vicious Circle? Altered Carbon and Nutrient Cycling May Explain the Low Resilience of Caribbean Coral Reefs

Surviving in a Marine Desert The Sponge Loop Retains Resources Within Coral Reefs
Dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen are quickly processed by sponges and released back into the reef food web in hours as carbon and nitrogen rich detritus.

Natural Diet of Coral-Excavating Sponges Consists Mainly of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC)

The Role of Marine Sponges in Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles of COral Reefs and Nearshore Environments.

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d consider not cleaning that canister until flow impeded. An option being a combination of pumice and smaller gravel to trap detritus and allow it to decompose naturally. Remaining component being mulm (hummus) which takes less space and longer to clog. BTW, not convinced that cleaning bio media even in tap kills the underlying bacteria. Learned that long ago and used to not worry about that but current setup doesn’t allow me to do that but a test I’ll at some point conduct. Perhaps those with an actual scientific knowledge of nitrifying/denitrifying bacteria can confirm or correct my belief.
Thanks. I'll see how it turns out not cleaning the filter.
Since the filter is made from several layers of filtermat (2 x 3cm + 4 x 5cm thickness) I can clean the peices of mats as they start to clog, leaving the others

Last edited:

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread about this. Using live rock. Rock after a scrub in tap was still able to clear ammonia. Not as fast though.

Do I see us going back to wet/dry filters soon!!???
That would imply some of the bacteria died off. Going dormnt wouldn't make sense. Was that the overall conclusion?

As for wet dry revivals. With the advent of carbon dosing then the original fear of them being nitrate factories no longer exist. Why bother with mechanical removal of skimmate. Just let nature do it's thing. Although I find canisters or undergravel plates more enjoyable since they don't make anywhere near the same noise and can eliminate the need for a sump although AIO solutions more practical and hide equipment and path I'm taking for my main build.

To me, Berlin same as clinical to an extent. I'm too lazy to be constantly cleaning and why I went away from clinical and never adapted Berlin. Natural seemed more appealing and carbon dosing the holly grail I been seeking since the 70s. Although that white slime bacteria now an issue but I'll have to find a way to deal with it. Gonna keep it simple.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'll see how it turns out not cleaning the filter.
Since the filter is made from several layers of filtermat (2 x 3cm + 4 x 5cm thickness) I can clean the peices of mats as they start to clog, leaving the others
Ran a canister in the 90s. Rarely opened it up other than when flow was overly reduced or water yellowed. Found out that if left alone long enough and flow reduced that my nitrates hovered around 20 ppm. apparently denitrification was occurring my only conclusion. No WC. Worked long hours and this was from necessity to be lazy than because I had a plan although this wasn't my first foray into no WC but first with a canister. Sometimes leaving it alone isn't such a bad thing. However, this was fish only yet heavily populated. Was using biochem stars. Might have had some floss. Ran Chemi-pure. Kept it simple. No nuisance algae. No cyano. No dino. Lights on from 8am to past 9pm when I returned home and sometimes the wee hours of the next day if I went out direct from work. I knew better but had a life and yet it worked.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back