Ammonia badge at 0.05 ppm

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing a reading of 0.05 ppm on the ammonia badge of my qt tank. Even after doing a 90% water change. My qt tank has been up and running for 6 months. I have qt’d 3 other fish in it prior. What could be the result of this? Would adding a bacteria supplement help?

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you testing the water also? I wouldnt just use the badge to get your reading. Test it and see what that shows. Even test your fresh water as well. THe first I would do thought is test that water. your badge could be off by that much.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing a reading of 0.05 ppm on the ammonia badge of my qt tank. Even after doing a 90% water change. My qt tank has been up and running for 6 months. I have qt’d 3 other fish in it prior. What could be the result of this? Would adding a bacteria supplement help?

I would definitely recommend adding a bacteria in a bottle; however, if this was done in the past you should already have enough bacteria in the system to denitrification.

How old is the ammonia badge? Is there a lot of detritus in the system?

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you testing the water also? I wouldnt just use the badge to get your reading. Test it and see what that shows. Even test your fresh water as well. THe first I would do thought is test that water. your badge could be off by that much.

Thank you. I will definitely test the water and not solely rely on the badge.

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely recommend adding a bacteria in a bottle; however, if this was done in the past you should already have enough bacteria in the system to denitrification.

How old is the ammonia badge? Is there a lot of detritus in the system?

I agree. I will test the water, see what I get, then add some bacteria. It’s a qt tank so there are periods when the system has no fish. This particular time, no fish for about 3 weeks. Can some bacteria die off Bc of this? Badge is 6 months old and tank is very very clean.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, bacteria will be fine, even if not fed during that period.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you did a 90% WC, then either your salt mix has some organics that are breaking down or the badge is off slightly.

At 6 months it might just be worth it to replace it. They say that they are good for a year, but at $8... might be cheaper than buying another ammonia test kit :)

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, bacteria will be fine, even if not fed during that period.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you did a 90% WC, then either your salt mix has some organics that are breaking down or the badge is off slightly.

At 6 months it might just be worth it to replace it. They say that they are good for a year, but at $8... might be cheaper than buying another ammonia test kit :)

Thank you. I tested the water and got zero. Appreciate all of your help
IMG_2751.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back