Ammonia burn or bacterial?

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hi Fin Goby pair in QT and noticed they have reddish areas around the gills and one on the body. At first I thought it may be ammonia burn from shipping but seems to be getting worse. My Alert badge is yellow in the QT. Then this morning one looked like it had blood on the mouth area. I'm not sure if it's bacterial or not but I decided to add a packet on API Furan 2. I just want some other opinions if I'm doing the right thing before I add another 3 doses. What do you think?

20190715_194519.jpg

20190715_194114.jpg

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think bacterial also, it would be a good idea to add in kanaplex and metroplex along with the furan 2 and treat for 10 to 14 days. Don't rely too heavily on the ammonia badge also, ammonia can start to build before it changes color so make sure to watch for fast breathing. A good way to stay ahead of ammonia is to add a little bit of a bottled bacteria like biospira daily while in qt. You can also add prime daily if you aren't running copper

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not running copper and added prime right before the fish. No Metro or BioSpira on hand but I just added some Kana and Stability. I'll keep an eye out for fast-breathing. Thanks.

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, from what I can tell it looks like Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS). 1/2 way through treatment and they are looking better but I came across this while researching....

"There is no known cure for this virus. Sometimes treating secondary infections with wide spectrum antibiotics or general use treatments will reduce mortality."

"Survivors of the disease can become lifelong carriers of the virus, contaminating water with urine, sperm, and ovarian fluids. The virus has been shown to survive two freeze/thaw cycles in a conventional freezer"

So will these fish contaminate the water in my display tank?? If so I may have to discontinue treatment and cull the fish :(. I can't keep them in QT forever.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the antibiotics seem to be helping, I would stay the course. No way to know if it is bacterial or viral without a scrape and microscope with some stain.

At any rate. I have had fish with viral issues. Upon adding them to DT after they were good and healthy in QT I've never had a problem with any other fish that they joined.

If you get them through QT and the redness is 100% gone and you keep a clean healthy DT I wouldn't hesitate to add them at all.

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the antibiotics seem to be helping, I would stay the course. No way to know if it is bacterial or viral without a scrape and microscope with some stain.

At any rate. I have had fish with viral issues. Upon adding them to DT after they were good and healthy in QT I've never had a problem with any other fish that they joined.

If you get them through QT and the redness is 100% gone and you keep a clean healthy DT I wouldn't hesitate to add them at all.

Ok. I didn't know there were 2 versions viral and bacterial. They are responding well to treatment and are becoming less lethargic so I'm hoping for the best. Thanks!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This. Most common virus we see is lympho.

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a relief. I did a search for the symptoms and Hemorrhagic Septicemia came up. I then did a search and VIRAL Hemorrhagic Septicemia came up. I didn't see the distinction. Next time I'll be more careful :).

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost one Goby :(. The other seems to have made it through the treatment and is doing good. Most of the redness is gone and it's eating well. Fingers crossed.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
googling fish diseases is like googling any disease.. lol. Our family has overcome innumerable maladies that are almost always fatal. We diagnose ourselves with them when we don't feel well, but our extraordinarily powerful psychosomatic immune response defeats the disease before we even get around to going to the hospital!

Sorry about your Goby. I missed the tail end of the thread and thought everyone was doing well. misplaced humor.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back