Ammonia Burn

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got fish from a friend that were very stressed because they were in a bucket for a little to long. It is a coral beauty and Kole tang. I have some fungus cure that have methylene green and acravaline in it. I was going to medicate them for 10 days inside qt together. Are there any better options. As of right now I have not seen any signs of ich. He told me his tank has had ich but the fish had no signs currently. But since I am doing qt I am watching closely. Any advice is appreciated? Thanks.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pictures of the fish so we can assess their condition? If the tank where the fish came from had ich, your fish are carriers of the parasite, and should be treated prophylactically. From our own Humblefish:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/#post-2171424

Suggested treatment for ammonia burns:

Malachite Green/Methylene Blue:
Treats ammonia burn, cuts, injuries.

How To Treat - Comes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication(s). So, follow the directions on the label. Best used as a 30 minute bath solution, but you also can treat with it in a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily. If you are using it in a bath solution, then it is also a good idea to treat the fish with nitrofurazone (active ingredient found in Furan-2 and Nitrofuracin Green Powder) once he is returned to the quarantine tank. Nitrofurazone is great for treating open wounds or sores.

Pros - Highly effective.

Cons/Side Effects - Depletes oxygen from the water. Malachite Green is considered “harsher” on fish than Methylene Blue.

Here's another product that is used in the industry to treat fish fresh out of shipment. It appears to be very good at treating ammonia burn and any sores from the rough treatment during shipping:

Nitrofurazone: Treats open wounds or red sores.

How To Treat - Nitrofurazone is an antibiotic, and an active ingredient found in Furan-2 and Nitrofuracin Green Powder. Nitrofurazone is great for treating open wounds, and especially those “red sores” commonly seen on butterflyfish and some angelfish.

Pros - Highly effective; found in a number of bacterial disease medications

Cons/Side Effects - Appetite suppression; it has been discontinued in the US (for human use), which may possibly affect its availability for the pet industry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can post pictures but currently fish are in qt at my school. I take care of a 150 gallon tank at school. I also have tank at home. I have successfully qt fish before but have never dealt with ammonia burn specifically. Thanks

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish came from a tank known to have ich, then I would run them through a normal QT process. CP, Copper or TTM. You can run them through a MB dip before hand to address the possibility of ammonia burn. I'd like a ask though, have you seen actual signs of ammonia burn from the fish? Heavy breathing? Redness around the gills?

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish came from a tank known to have ich, then I would run them through a normal QT process. CP, Copper or TTM. You can run them through a MB dip before hand to address the possibility of ammonia burn. I'd like a ask though, have you seen actual signs of ammonia burn from the fish? Heavy breathing? Redness around the gills?
He is swimming around but the gills are sticking out a little with redness. Should I do a round of antibiotics and dip first before copper?

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is swimming around but the gills are sticking out a little with redness. Should I do a round of antibiotics and dip first before copper?
I ordered some different medications but if I use api fungus cure for right now to help fish a little what are the steps exactly. I was thinking 1 packet in a 5 gallon bucket because I read to double the dose on marine fish and freshwater is 1 packet for every 10 gallons. Thanks.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You may not need to. You just have to take it a step at a time.
I ordered some different medications but if I use api fungus cure for right now to help fish a little what are the steps exactly. I was thinking 1 packet in a 5 gallon bucket because I read to double the dose on marine fish and freshwater is 1 packet for every 10 gallons. Thanks.

Use the fungus cure since it has malachite green in it. Lots of aeration. Make sure salinity and temp match the QT and the air stone is going before the fish is put in. If the directions say to use double for marine fish then do so, but don't go off of rumor or just something a random person said. Follow the dosing directions and leave him in the dip for 30-45 minutes depending on how well he does in it. Keep an eye on him.

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help
You may not need to. You just have to take it a step at a time.

Use the fungus cure since it has malachite green in it. Lots of aeration. Make sure salinity and temp match the QT and the air stone is going before the fish is put in. If the directions say to use double for marine fish then do so, but don't go off of rumor or just something a random person said. Follow the dosing directions and leave him in the dip for 30-45 minutes depending on how well he does in it. Keep an eye on him.
. Thanks for the help. I will give you update after tomorrow.

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help

. Thanks for the help. I will give you update after tomorrow.
Seems fish are doing better and they are eating so I am treating with copper so I hope all goes well. I used brighwell last time but this time I am using cupermine so we will see. Thanks

Back