Ammonia Control in a Hospital Tank

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Brew12, Mar 19, 2017.

1. starypotter

starypotter Well-Known Member

Okay thanks, I'll make sure I have them removed for a few days at the very least before I start any treatment.

Brew12 likes this.

2. rkpetersen

rkpetersen walked the sand with the crustaceans R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Controller Advisor

What about zeolite in a bag in the filter for controlling ammonia? It's been around forever but I've never actually used it.

3. Art2249

Art2249 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm having trouble with the quarantine. I had slowly ramped up copper with cupramine but a flasher wrasse couldn't handle it. So I removed cupramine and ordered coppersafe. Right now my copper is reading zero but the ammonia test comes back 2 ppm. I think that is wrong because the seachem badge shows halfway between safe and the first color alert. Plus the fish all look fine. How long should I wait to introduce coppersafe?

4. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

If copper is reading 0, I would begin ramping up Coppersafe now. Even a trace of copper can throw most liquid ammonia test kits off.

What copper & ammonia test kit are you using??

Art2249 likes this.
  5. Art2249

I have Seachem copper test and API ammonia. Ishould note this tank had live rock at one time but now is being filtered with marinepur spheres. I took the last rock out aug 1. I have some sponge in the main display sump but i want to save that for my next batch of fish. And my 76 day countdown began aug 1 because i moved rock from this tank to the display sump on that day. So i still have plenty of time but the 2 ppm result on api kind of freaked me out. Also, I've had some of these fish for 8 months, but i added the last one in June. never have seen ick.

6. Art2249

7. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

FWIW; I wouldn't rely upon a Seachem copper test for measuring Coppersafe.

This is worth the investment: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/coppe...truments-high-range-copper-checker-hi702.454/

Art2249 likes this.
  8. Art2249

Thx for the advice. I bought a hanna copper test. Unfortunately the wrasse I tried to save jumped out of the tank. I have about 1/2 inch gap at the back of my net. he must have hit it perfectly. So I back to cupramine and will save the coppersafe for some other time. I am confused about the 30 day copper level. Once that is over should I remove the fish while copper is still there and acclimate them. Im concerned about lowering copper in the qt and having ich hatch before i remove the fish.

Draft saved Draft deleted