Ammonia Control in a Hospital Tank

starypotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have no idea how the ammonia removing pads work. I don't know if it would be a problem or not.
Okay thanks, I'll make sure I have them removed for a few days at the very least before I start any treatment.

Top Shelf Aquatics

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
What about zeolite in a bag in the filter for controlling ammonia? It's been around forever but I've never actually used it.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the quarantine. I had slowly ramped up copper with cupramine but a flasher wrasse couldn't handle it. So I removed cupramine and ordered coppersafe. Right now my copper is reading zero but the ammonia test comes back 2 ppm. I think that is wrong because the seachem badge shows halfway between safe and the first color alert. Plus the fish all look fine. How long should I wait to introduce coppersafe?

Humblefish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the quarantine. I had slowly ramped up copper with cupramine but a flasher wrasse couldn't handle it. So I removed cupramine and ordered coppersafe. Right now my copper is reading zero but the ammonia test comes back 2 ppm. I think that is wrong because the seachem badge shows halfway between safe and the first color alert. Plus the fish all look fine. How long should I wait to introduce coppersafe?
If copper is reading 0, I would begin ramping up Coppersafe now. Even a trace of copper can throw most liquid ammonia test kits off.

What copper & ammonia test kit are you using??

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
If copper is reading 0, I would begin ramping up Coppersafe now. Even a trace of copper can throw most liquid ammonia test kits off.

What copper & ammonia test kit are you using??
I have Seachem copper test and API ammonia. Ishould note this tank had live rock at one time but now is being filtered with marinepur spheres. I took the last rock out aug 1. I have some sponge in the main display sump but i want to save that for my next batch of fish. And my 76 day countdown began aug 1 because i moved rock from this tank to the display sump on that day. So i still have plenty of time but the 2 ppm result on api kind of freaked me out. Also, I've had some of these fish for 8 months, but i added the last one in June. never have seen ick.

Corals.com

Humblefish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have Seachem copper test and API ammonia. Ishould note this tank had live rock at one time but now is being filtered with marinepur spheres. I took the last rock out aug 1. I have some sponge in the main display sump but i want to save that for my next batch of fish. And my 76 day countdown began aug 1 because i moved rock from this tank to the display sump on that day. So i still have plenty of time but the 2 ppm result on api kind of freaked me out. Also, I've had some of these fish for 8 months, but i added the last one in June. never have seen ick.
FWIW; I wouldn't rely upon a Seachem copper test for measuring Coppersafe.

This is worth the investment: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/copper-testing-simplified-using-hanna-instruments-high-range-copper-checker-hi702.454/

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
FWIW; I wouldn't rely upon a Seachem copper test for measuring Coppersafe.

This is worth the investment: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/copper-testing-simplified-using-hanna-instruments-high-range-copper-checker-hi702.454/
Thx for the advice. I bought a hanna copper test. Unfortunately the wrasse I tried to save jumped out of the tank. I have about 1/2 inch gap at the back of my net. he must have hit it perfectly. So I back to cupramine and will save the coppersafe for some other time. I am confused about the 30 day copper level. Once that is over should I remove the fish while copper is still there and acclimate them. Im concerned about lowering copper in the qt and having ich hatch before i remove the fish.

puffy127

View Badges
Reaction score
If adding biospira to a sponge filter a few days prior to adding fish to a QT can build up enough of a biofilter to control ammonia, then why wouldn't this work for a regular tank with dry rock and dry sand? (i.e. why does it take >3 weeks to cycle a regular tank)? I'm not questioning that biospira and a sponge filter works for QTs - I know from experience it does, but I am setting up a new nano DT now and am wondering why I can't just add bisopira to the dry rock and dry sand and wait a few days (versus weeks to cycle)?

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
You can add Biospira to your nano. You just have to also add an ammonia source. If it were me, I would treat it just like a QT, including using an Ammonia Alert badge.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Do you want to win a GHL ProfiLux 4 Controller Ultimate set?

• Yes I need a controller

Votes: 94 53.1%
  • Yes I would like to try this controller

Votes: 58 32.8%
  • No I'm not going to be an early bird partner member

Votes: 25 14.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Lotus Reef
Industrial Test Systems, Inc.