Ammonia in QT - suggestions?

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am QT 3 fish in a 20 gallon tank since Thursday night Sep 23rd:. I added 3 smallish pieces of LR to my QT along with a HOB filter seeded with media from my DT. With all this media in my 20 gallon how am I showing ammonia? I dosed with prime last night as I noticed that the ammonia alert badge was not 100% yellow. I also purchased an ammonia test kit. I dosed 1/2 capful b/c the instructions said one capful did 50 gallons. Below are the results from the ammonia test for the QT and DT.

Do I dose more prime?
Do I add more media from my DT?
Do I cut bait and do my TT NOW?

I don't want to lose my new fish and I don't want ich in my ich free 180 reef.

QT.jpg ammonia test.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do a water change. It’s the adage, “when the problem is ‘pollute,’ the solution is ‘dilute.’”

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solution to pollution is dilution….
Jay, Is it that my QT tank is polluted or that the ammonia readings are wrong? Second TTM and same issue. I keep dosing prime but I am still getting ammonia readings? Last time I did a water change... Now I think prime and ammonia readings are wrong.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, Is it that my QT tank is polluted or that the ammonia readings are wrong? Second TTM and same issue. I keep dosing prime but I am still getting ammonia readings? Last time I did a water change... Now I think prime and ammonia readings are wrong.
The API ammonia kit is not very accurate, the colors are difficult to determine. Also, freshly mixed seawater has trace ammonia in it - Instant Ocean has as much as 0.20 ppm!

Managing ammonia is always tricky with TTM -

Jay

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API ammonia kit is not very accurate, the colors are difficult to determine. Also, freshly mixed seawater has trace ammonia in it - Instant Ocean has as much as 0.20 ppm!

Managing ammonia is always tricky with TTM -

Jay
Jay, agree. I am adding my last set of fish to finish off my stocking list in my 180 reef. If I were not 99% sure I didn't have ich in my tank I would end this now! If I purchase fish again it will be from suppliers who do a full protocol of QT and ensure they are feeding first. Thank you for your patience it has been years since I did QT and TTM b/c after my fish go into my DT it is rare that they die...

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back