Ammonia in Unused Water

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I just set up my quarantine tank for my first fish that are coming in tomorrow. Nothing has been in the tank ever except for some PVC pipe, the hang on the back filter (which uses carbon), a brand new heater, and obviously the saltwater (using my RODI filter + Instant Ocean salt). I am getting ..05 ppm readings of ammonia from a Seachem ammonia monitor and ~.25-.5 ppm as the API Saltwater Ammonia test kit. Any ideas where the ammonia could be coming from? I just ordered a detoxifier since it seems like I am getting the same ammonia reading from the spare saltwater I made to perform water changes as well.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salts are known to mix up some free ammonia, but not enough to be lethal, and that's the lowest possible level reading for all your kits, this is safe to proceed as is. if the alert badge changes markedly, do a water change, dont add prime in your qt tank.

you would literally ignore any readings in your current state other than to know the new baseline for which you can compare rising degrees of ammonia due to limited surface area within qt tanks. once your levels go up from this position, then take remedial action.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back