Ammonia Pegged at 8.0 After 50% Water Change, Nitrate 10ppm, What's is happening!

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m scrolling through pages and can’t find where Brian posted a pic of the alert badge, which post was it / curious
He posted multiple pics
So that rock stack doesn’t look like it can carry corals is that right

it looks atypical to every reef you’ve seen?

surface area was the point, appreciate the insight.

when I say display reef, the fact this one doesnt have corals does not change one iota of the rule of surface area + current + nine months time + daily fish carry. If you add four euphyllias it’s a reef proper, noted, but that won’t change the status of ammonia control in this tank.

his opening tank pic could not be picked out by any reader here as a problem tank in a pic lineup, if not associated with an ammonia alert post. That’s how it always happens.

regarding ammonia tracing, factored with any sincere reading of pattern threads we collect in tanks that look exactly like this one, this reef has enough surface area to carry any bioload we want.

you can have a spike of ammonia if something really bad happens we learn on page one and not guess at by page ten

but you can’t have that much rock + circulation + surface area failing to keep ammonia under control for days, there’s no link for that posted here. I’ve never seen any link or study permitting that.

You kept making comments about his corals, he has none so of course they would not be reacting. I respect you but you got blinders on and have missed A LOT that has been said. You have been so focused and not willing to see EVERYTHING that has been said. You kept ignoring that fish had died that there is no coral that that he had posted pics of the badges pics from other non API test kits. You ignored that he has had external influences. Seriously go back and re read every single post. Because you have missed A LOT.

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good bit of pics, And I would like to add I think my starfish is trying to come back to life, he is slowly making his way up. Again I thoroughly enjoy this website and I intend repay or pass it forward with my own knowledge. Thank You Everyone! Oh and in the pics the tank is 2/3 full but fully visible my RO is super slow (low water pressure) Still need to clean intakes and bad algae

IMG_20220903_121451666_HDR.jpg IMG_20220903_121506575_HDR.jpg IMG_20220903_121520033_HDR.jpg IMG_20220903_121619025_HDR.jpg IMG_20220903_121548784_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scanned back to page 8 and saw no full tank shots

so I wanted the update pic, to stamp the timeframe that his test kit gave permission to exhale

it’s not useless data, we study lag times that happen occasionally on non digital kits. That may or may not be in play here, or a phenomena at all, but we want a set of pics through closure in our cycle study threads. Pics, bioload carry, and visual details about the tank such as surface area, fish placement, overall cleanliness, plant presence are what we use in my cycling threads because we want to inspect ways to cycle that don’t involve test kits.

the reason I mention we study lag times is due to posts that compare seneye to api, and the api reports a lag to indicate what the seneye said on day one, after a test ammonia spike. Specifically I like to look at lag time report threads, and pics are a nice neutral evaluation perspective to keep running alongside stated measures

in my cycle threads, we think a dying tank looks like its dying, and that a tank that looks living isn’t actually dying even if a test kit happens to disagree. We find the biology more reliable than the home chemist.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good bit of pics, And I would like to add I think my starfish is trying to come back to life, he is slowly making his way up. Again I thoroughly enjoy this website and I intend repay or pass it forward with my own knowledge. Thank You Everyone! Oh and in the pics the tank is 2/3 full but fully visible my RO is super slow (low water pressure) Still need to clean intakes and bad algae
DANG!! It looks SO good!!! The effort you put in really paid off! I see some algae growing too which is a great sign! Seems like so much life is back into it!

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, his pics from before looked good too. Thats part of what had Brandon so focused I think. The tank looked GOOD.

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the pics is older theres so many I'll see if I can remove the pic

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking Macro Display Tank BTW. How many Clowns in there?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all agree that tank looks good

you know what I like

the plants look like scuba diving layouts from nature shots and no bad algae like gha or dinos etc, it’s a very balanced fish only tank. If you post that reef in a build thread just leave out this controversial thread lol and show your pics and you will get some badges due to its quality. Folks like a good plant layout. Heck it looks so good my mind filled in seeing some c. jardenai in there.

seeing that starfish I would not rate keeping that long term as easy

diverse feed is what he has been living on so far if he has been adding or at least maintaining body mass, the tank is supporting very delicate life so far, a really nice natural looking setup.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also appears just a few rocks haven’t been in the tank nine mos

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 clowns There is a big beautiful lemon peel angel in there and a coral beauty plus my fire blenny, I would like to try and get a pic of some of the hiding fish

IMG_20220903_124115017_HDR.jpg IMG_20220903_123908953_HDR.jpg
I love my lawnmower blenny and you can see the little watchman gobie and the fire gobie. Also take note of the color of the debated badge lol. Thanks All

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all agree that tank looks good

you know what I like

the plants look like scuba diving layouts from nature shots and no bad algae like gha or dinos etc, it’s a very balanced fish only tank. If you post that reef in a build thread just leave out this controversial thread lol and show your pics and you will get some badges due to its quality. Folks like a good plant layout. Heck it looks so good my mind filled in seeing some c. jardenai in there.

seeing that starfish I would not rate keeping that long term as easy

diverse feed is what he has been living on so far if he has been adding or at least maintaining body mass, the tank is supporting very delicate life so far, a really nice natural looking setup.
once I get my calcium and ph back to normal some of those plants will look twice as good the calcium plants are a little pale from all the stress. I plan on adding some purple/blue algae to offset the red

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living life on the wild side! I am fighting to get a larger golden lightning marron to accept a second smaller one with out killing him in my 50 gallon. Had to order a isolation box to put in it. Once that arrives I will move the larger clown out of one of the QT tanks where I have her isolated for now. Then let her stay in the box for 2 weeks and release her back and see if she will not keep trying to kill him

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starfish being alive here, matters, throughout this whole issue

Hows that starfish as of today - they are SUPER delicate and sensitive

I hope it's not claimed as dead now, bc in the new post about this tank no deaths were mentioned, only a test kit issue

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about pic updates, from a cellphone, dated recently

Any actual tank update pics here, we're studying this thread in a cycling focus so I thought I'd ask. How's the starfish

Back