Ammonia Pegged at 8.0 After 50% Water Change, Nitrate 10ppm, What's is happening!

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I wanted something different besides coral, there are so many types of good algae that quite beautiful. Plus they absorb lots of other things as a benefit
There's nothing wrong with this. In fact, you've saved yourself some time. You could add the QT and make it a refugium later.

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha @Dan_P

Can you guys look over this thread and share your thoughts? We seem to be separated in 2 different sides and we would really appreciate having your thoughts.
My fish are alive still because I have been adding water daily and rotating it from another tank that that did'nt have such a high bio load plus I have lowered my salinty adding RO water thus dilluting the ammonia and now nitrates. And I had salt on hand at the time it just was not enough to bring it down and keep it down. Api are not any different than any other Salicylate Test Kits

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are alive still because I have been adding water daily and rotating it from another tank that that did'nt have such a high bio load plus I have lowered my salinty adding RO water thus dilluting the ammonia and now nitrates. And I had salt on hand at the time it just was not enough to bring it down and keep it down. Api are not any different than any other Salicylate Test Kits
This site recommend by someone on this site goes into deep detail on everything ammonia and how the test kits work

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you ruling out disease and what was the conclusion to this?

Was the bloom you mentioned in this current thread different than this one?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no disease or parasites in my tank they were parasites treated almost 2 weeks ago, And even if there were the lesions are completely healed for sometime now. So is it possible for every fish and invert to catch the same disease at once. Because after I did that 60% water swap last night there no longer laying in the sand and they actually ate for the first time in two days.

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you ruling out disease and what was the conclusion to this?

Was the bloom you mentioned in this current thread different than this one?

It's been a few days but do remember it did not last long and cleared up the same day. While the older bloom if I recall required water changes and was more aggressive. I do have a question before I swapped the 8.0ppm water out with 1.5ppm I checked my nitrates and they were hovering around 10-15ppm. I posted picks of the test tubes

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the life of me I can not understand some people are having a hard time believing the api test results. I have a fluval test kit I can use? maybe with the badge and API Tube and a Fluval test some people might start seeing what I am. I am not a newbie to this hobby. I will post fluval Ammonia results shortly since no one trust api

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are convinced you know the issue, then commence with the fix and let the thread die.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval= not digital, still able to be adulterated, get digital.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rate your enjoyment of reefing at the moment Brian as 2/10 because the true concern over ammonia control loss is evident in your posts. You are in true concern over losing your investment, don't know where to turn. I do not get a read of confidence in the destiny of this tank from the collective posts in this thread.

Look how opposite we rolled here, all entrants can be clicked on to track history of tank, sent a message about their cycle call. 10/10 enjoyment

What's the difference in these two threads? They listened :)

That's a 38 page thread dedicated solely to your issue. Nobody has posted any new articles yet...

You should buy and add a cheap peppermint shrimp or lysmata shrimp for your tank. That'll show no toxicity, they're weakest organisms in the reefs we keep

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rate your enjoyment of reefing at the moment Brian as 2/10 because the true concern over ammonia control loss is evident in your posts. You are in true concern over losing your investment, don't know where to turn. I do not get a read of confidence in the destiny of this tank from the collective posts in this thread.

Look how opposite we rolled here, all entrants can be clicked on to track history of tank, sent a message about their cycle call. 10/10 enjoyment

What's the difference in these two threads? They listened :)

That's a 38 page thread dedicated solely to your issue. Nobody has posted any new articles yet...

You should buy and add a cheap peppermint shrimp or lysmata shrimp for your tank. That'll show no toxicity, they're weakest organisms in the reefs we keep
I will order a digital today for future reference, If didnt enjoy fish keeping I would not have a shead full of old Aquarium stuff from the last 20 years, I have always had either a fresh or saltwater setup. I did not know this post would blow up with half thinking one problem the other half thinking something else. I'm begining to the each experinced reef keeper has there own opions on just about everything. How am I to know who is right? I listen to facts, I spent half the night reading up on the nitrogen process in aquariums and diseases as well. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Attachments

• IMG_20220902_090306903_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220902_090306903_HDR.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 41

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will order a digital today for future reference, If didnt enjoy fish keeping I would not have a shead full of old Aquarium stuff from the last 20 years, I have always had either a fresh or saltwater setup. I did not know this post would blow up with half thinking one problem the other half thinking something else. I'm begining to the each experinced reef keeper has there own opions on just about everything. How am I to know who is right? I listen to facts, I spent half the night reading up on the nitrogen process in aquariums and diseases as well. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.
The digital ones just use a light beam and sensor to detect colour change and convert it into a number. Personally, my eyes work just fine.

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the symptoms presented from the dead fish? Any red gills indicating ammonia burn?
I got a pic somewhere but they were slightly red, my lemon peel angel has red gills now though. 4 more hour and i will have 2 bags of salt and 2 bottles of fritz. I plan to order more of each later today just incase

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pic somewhere but they were slightly red, my lemon peel angel has red gills now though. 4 more hour and i will have 2 bags of salt and 2 bottles of fritz. I plan to order more of each later today just incase
Put the bacteria after you do the water change. Then stop changing water. Then watch the ammonia drop.

Don’t be scared to dose 1 bottle. Maybe even both if they are the smaller ones.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the bacteria after you do the water change. Then stop changing water. Then watch the ammonia drop.

Don’t be scared to dose 1 bottle. Maybe even both if they are the smaller ones.
Posting pictures of any ammonia drop would be nice.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha @Dan_P

Can you guys look over this thread and share your thoughts?
It's fun to know that if I ever feel the need for more human interaction, I can just post a dark green ammonia test :)

Here you are a few pics.

Ok. I suggest ruling out high ammonia by getting the seachem ammonia alert. It is not affected by copper additives.

Yes I bought the Api badge It says marine and freshwater, it's the ph badge thats just freshwater. But anyway like another user said it can detect I guess different types of Ammonia? It says it detects free ammonia as well. Anyway I just checked it and it's pegged to it's highest setting.

So I took about 70% of the water out of both tanks and switched the water between them. And to my surprise the Ammonia on the main tank dropped from 8.0+ppm down to a little over 2.0ppm thus confirming this is an ammonia problem. And my fish are eating again and and are no longer lethargic looking.
API chemistry is fairly predictable, but it can be fooled sometimes - cupramine for instance. It indicates significant ammonia. To rule out unexpected false positives, NH3 sensing films (ammonia alert badge) were used. They tell the same story as the total ammonia test, and I know of no way to fool both the total ammonia tests and the NH3 sensing films. The detected ammonia tests also follow dilution rules (water changes decrease), and the kits correctly read no ammonia on other stable system.

Bad livestock outcomes are occuring, and a preceding major tank incident was identified. Loss of power, low O2, bacterial bloom.
While I could speculate on the mechanics of the sources of high ammonia production, and the loss of nitrification / uptake of ammonia, that's harder to pin down. Canister filter indicates nitrification activity may have been highly localized to that, and who knows what the conditions inside the filter became during the loss of power/bacterial bloom. When O2 drops, no nitrification of ammonia to NO2->NO3 can occur.

Whether fish loss is just ammonia or ammonia stress + earlier low O2 stress + other stresses, it's all affecting livestock.
Macroalgae is plentiful, but the uptake rate has limits and the ammonia levels are much higher than what the macros can clear in a short time period. Even a perfectly functioning system like mine clears at a rate of ~2ppm ammonia per day. if ammonia spiked somehow to 8+, my perfectly normal biofilter, algae etc would still have high ammonia for several days.

I dose with trace elements which contain a little copper

I used cupramine which is a form of copper in my fowlr tank and had your same issue. This is from the Seachem website:
Cupramine can interfere, yes. trace element copper no. It's not the copper that's interfering in the total ammonia test, it's the -amine part of cupramine.
NH3 sensing films wouldn't get fooled here either.

If your ammonia was that high you entire tank would be dead.

Not necessarily, that’s hype that some folks would have you believe. It ain’t good though;
what Garf said.
Some organisms are far hardier than others to ammonia. And it's really hard to say what the expected lethal outcomes would be for a hobby fish unless you have actual LC50 data in front of you for that genus.
Also the same conditions that generate toxic high ammonia levels also lower pH which mitigate the toxicity. It's hard to kill fish with ammonia in a reef tank.

This and the multitude of ways systems can clear ammonia are why Brandon is right 99% of the time about saying ammonia concerns are all unjustified. But 99% does not = 100%.

Mitigation strategies:
I have no faith in Prime, nor in the hydroxymethanosulfonate Amquel, ClorAm-X etc. There's a chance I could be wrong about the HMS but because NH3 films (ammonia alert badges) don't show they drop ammonia (and they do not in my testing), then I will not recommend or rely on them. Their only known effect I'm certain of is to interfere with total ammonia tests.

Aerate the heck out of the system, maximize flow, run normal light but maybe extend for a few hours. Dump in bottles of biospira and fritz turbostart. Acidify the water (HCl is fine) down to the buffer level for aragonite around ~pH 7.6. Carbon dose - with aeration.
Water change when you can.
These things are all 100% verifiably useful in reducing toxic ammonia.

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fun to know that if I ever feel the need for more human interaction, I can just post a dark green ammonia test :)

API chemistry is fairly predictable, but it can be fooled sometimes - cupramine for instance. It indicates significant ammonia. To rule out unexpected false positives, NH3 sensing films (ammonia alert badge) were used. They tell the same story as the total ammonia test, and I know of no way to fool both the total ammonia tests and the NH3 sensing films. The detected ammonia tests also follow dilution rules (water changes decrease), and the kits correctly read no ammonia on other stable system.

Bad livestock outcomes are occuring, and a preceding major tank incident was identified. Loss of power, low O2, bacterial bloom.
While I could speculate on the mechanics of the sources of high ammonia production, and the loss of nitrification / uptake of ammonia, that's harder to pin down. Canister filter indicates nitrification activity may have been highly localized to that, and who knows what the conditions inside the filter became during the loss of power/bacterial bloom. When O2 drops, no nitrification of ammonia to NO2->NO3 can occur.

Whether fish loss is just ammonia or ammonia stress + earlier low O2 stress + other stresses, it's all affecting livestock.
Macroalgae is plentiful, but the uptake rate has limits and the ammonia levels are much higher than what the macros can clear in a short time period. Even a perfectly functioning system like mine clears at a rate of ~2ppm ammonia per day. if ammonia spiked somehow to 8+, my perfectly normal biofilter, algae etc would still have high ammonia for several days.

Cupramine can interfere, yes. trace element copper no. It's not the copper that's interfering in the total ammonia test, it's the -amine part of cupramine.
NH3 sensing films wouldn't get fooled here either.

what Garf said.
Some organisms are far hardier than others to ammonia. And it's really hard to say what the expected lethal outcomes would be for a hobby fish unless you have actual LC50 data in front of you for that genus.
Also the same conditions that generate toxic high ammonia levels also lower pH which mitigate the toxicity. It's hard to kill fish with ammonia in a reef tank.

This and the multitude of ways systems can clear ammonia are why Brandon is right 99% of the time about saying ammonia concerns are all unjustified. But 99% does not = 100%.

Mitigation strategies:
I have no faith in Prime, nor in the hydroxymethanosulfonate Amquel, ClorAm-X etc. There's a chance I could be wrong about the HMS but because NH3 films (ammonia alert badges) don't show they drop ammonia (and they do not in my testing), then I will not recommend or rely on them. Their only known effect I'm certain of is to interfere with total ammonia tests.

Aerate the heck out of the system, maximize flow, run normal light but maybe extend for a few hours. Dump in bottles of biospira and fritz turbostart. Acidify the water (HCl is fine) down to the buffer level for aragonite around ~pH 7.6. Carbon dose - with aeration.
Water change when you can.
These things are all 100% verifiably useful in reducing toxic ammonia.
I am taking all of your advise from everyone, I've kept ph low doubled oxygen in the tank, The 2 bottles of fritz I ordered are the 80G 32once. I was thinking of first doing a major water change then add 1 bottle mind u this is a 55G tank. And See or watch my water parameters for a day. then maybe do a 50% water change and add second bottle. And we'll see were that lands me at. I also ordered 2 bottles of Fluval cycle biological booster(reviews looked good) Do you have any opinion on that Fluval bio? I just wanted another brand in there in case it has something fritz does not.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back