Ammonia question

COwCOw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to pick up my clownfish today than i read an ammonia of 0.25(API) and I've been cycling for 1 month with the dr tims method. did the test read wrong and am I in the clear?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to pick up my clownfish today than i read an ammonia of 0.25(API) and I've been cycling for 1 month with the dr tims method. did the test read wrong and am I in the clear?
@123 Is correct, API does often read ammonia as 0.25 even if there should be none - or at least super low.

It makes sense. After all, if you cycle with Dr. Tim's method, it should be very surprising if ammonia could be oxidized so well by nitrifiers, then suddenly with the last bit of 0.25ppm somehow they can't get rid of it effectively.

My theory is it is also possible that there is always a 'baseline' amount of ammonia. Perhaps there is always something dying. And so some ammonia is always produced that is yet to be consumed by ammonia oxidizers. Not enough to cause any kind of harm or worry though.

Upvote 0

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt doubt that it is a .2 or .25. i have had my setup for quite a few months now, and never been below .25 according to API, and is confirmed with a red sea kit, and a LFS kit. .25 is nothing deadly since it reads total ammonia. i wouldnt worry about a .25. as long as fish are good, the slight ammonia is fine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
COwCOw

COwCOw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@123 Is correct, API does often read ammonia as 0.25 even if there should be none - or at least super low.

It makes sense. After all, if you cycle with Dr. Tim's method, it should be very surprising if ammonia could be oxidized so well by nitrifiers, then suddenly with the last bit of 0.25ppm somehow they can't get rid of it effectively.

My theory is it is also possible that there is always a 'baseline' amount of ammonia. Perhaps there is always something dying. And so some ammonia is always produced that is yet to be consumed by ammonia oxidizers. Not enough to cause any kind of harm or worry though.
Ok, Thank you very much!!! I also asked my lfs and they said it was ok So I picked up my clownfish they're doing very well and I don't see any weird activity.

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back