ammonia

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed today my ammonia lvl was 0.25+/-. Nitrite and Nitrate is still reading 0ppm. PH is roughly 7.9-8.2. water temp is 73f/23c. I did a 10gallon water change today cleaning the sand and moved the powerbeads closer to the surface so it makes a wave effect. Just tested the ammonia lvl again and it is still around the 0.25+/-. I have 2 phantom clownfish, 2 hermit crabs, green star pol and a Pulsing xenia. The tank is 65gallons. It has 2 powerheads, tunze protein skimmer and a over the back filter that is meant for a 100-125gallon tank. (lots of circulation).
What could the reason be for a abnormal ammonia of 0.25+/-
How can i correct this? change the carbon pack?? but that just fixes nitrite and nitrate??

Help please

OP
OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed today my ammonia lvl was 0.25+/-. Nitrite and Nitrate is still reading 0ppm. PH is roughly 7.9-8.2. water temp is 73f/23c. I did a 10gallon water change today cleaning the sand and moved the powerbeads closer to the surface so it makes a wave effect. Just tested the ammonia lvl again and it is still around the 0.25+/-. I have 2 phantom clownfish, 2 hermit crabs, green star pol and a Pulsing xenia. The tank is 65gallons. It has 2 powerheads, tunze protein skimmer and a over the back filter that is meant for a 100-125gallon tank. (lots of circulation).
What could the reason be for a abnormal ammonia of 0.25+/-
How can i correct this? change the carbon pack?? but that just fixes nitrite and nitrate??

Help please
Also opened the windows in the house today to add more fresh air into the house. I live in Canada tho so its not the year too be doing that.

OP
OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API. Had 2 ammonia sets of them both reading the same. I just put a ammonia alert (seachem Alertseries) into the tank for the past hour and it is reading yellow (<0.02ppm)

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API. Had 2 ammonia sets of them both reading the same. I just put a ammonia alert (seachem Alertseries) into the tank for the past hour and it is reading yellow (<0.02ppm)
I hear that api tests can give you false positive readings of .25. Have your lfs double check it maybe?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back