Ammonium chloride and seachem stability for cycling

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As im going all dry, Can i use ammo. cl. And stability to cycle the tank? And Also use ammonia alert? What should be the dosage per liter/gallon of ammo. Cl.?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What form of ammonium chloride? A solid or solution?

Seachem Stability is one of several "bacteria in a bottle" products that may be helpful in speeding up cycling. Dr Tim's One and Only is another.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What form of ammonium chloride? A solid or solution?

Seachem Stability is one of several "bacteria in a bottle" products that may be helpful in speeding up cycling. Dr Tim's One and Only is another.
Powdered form... arent the bacteria in a bottle jis a solution of sugar/vinegar/alcohol?

Eric83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed liquid ammonia to cycle my tank along with BIO-Spira and using marinepure to harbor the bacteria. I dosed enough to take it off the carts of the test kit. Assuming NH4CL would work in the same manner - you'll probably want to verify that with someone first- dose enough to register on a test kit. For liquid it was a cap full or two in 75 gallons.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure a small amount of ammonium chloride and put it in to a pint of water. Test the levels in the pint until you reach how many ppm you would like. I generally prefer around 2 ppm for cycling. Once you figure how much produces your desired number in the pint, just multiply it by 8 to convert that for an entire gallon. Now you can just multiple how many gallons you have to that number.

I generally prefer to use ammonium chloride from Dr. Tim's. The concentration is known, so you just follow the directions to achieve the PPM that you are desiring.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id rather use a small fish bowl, add it there and put some base rock to allow the bacteria to grow on. When the cycle is done put the rock in the tank. That way you avoid impurities.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id rather use a small fish bowl, add it there and put some base rock to allow the bacteria to grow on. When the cycle is done put the rock in the tank. That way you avoid impurities.
Iv red that even without bacteria jus by adding ammonia, tank can cycle. i dont wana add liverock coz of pests. BRS adds urine (i find it disgusting.. lol)

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv red that even without bacteria jus by adding ammonia, tank can cycle. i dont wana add liverock coz of pests. BRS adds urine (i find it disgusting.. lol)

Yes they will show up from the air. Dont use live rock, the ammonia will kill anything on it, use dead base rock. Its cheap too.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will show up from the air. Dont use live rock, the ammonia will kill anything on it, use dead base rock. Its cheap too.
Yes iv collected/bought aroung 100kg of dry live rock from fellow hobbyists who wanted to get rid of them.. will have to clean the rocks off dead matter on it.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes iv collected/bought aroung 100kg of dry live rock from fellow hobbyists who wanted to get rid of them.. will have to clean the rocks off dead matter on it.

Actually you could let it decompose, it will release ammonia and phosphate that way. Then you dont have to use ammonia but it takes longer.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you could let it decompose, it will release ammonia and phosphate that way. Then you dont have to use ammonia but it takes longer.
Yea, but there are dead sponges, plants, etc. On them, wont look good. Ammonia wud be faster, however ill dilute in water and add. also i prefer dark tank cycling for 20days and 10days with lights on 6 to 8hrs everyday cycling. But thats using live rocks, this time im going for all dead rocks. So lets see. Just want to know the amt of nh4cl (if im correct with the formula)

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, but there are dead sponges, plants, etc. On them, wont look good. Ammonia wud be faster, however ill dilute in water and add. also i prefer dark tank cycling for 20days and 10days with lights on 6 to 8hrs everyday cycling. But thats using live rocks, this time im going for all dead rocks. So lets see. Just want to know the amt of nh4cl (if im correct with the formula)

So your going to use those rocks and add ammonia? Could work i guess.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live bacteria? sits on shelfs not refrigerated? any idea on what sort of bacteria is useful and in those bottles after such a long period of no food,oxygen etc etc?

All I know if that several manufacturers claim there are a variety of types of bacteria in them, often in some sort of inactive state, and they do work for folks (at least some brands) in therms of speeding the nitrogen cycle..

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back