Amphidinium Dinoflagellate Treatment Methods

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding heavier doesn't always help rising po4.
The easiest and most controlable way is to dose po4.

Keeping your po4 at at least 0.03 and nitrates at 10 and it's bye bye dino's.

Feeding more = More phosphorus in the water = + po4.

Just listed several ways I was using to provide more No3 and more Po4 into the system. Had prior experience with dosing Phosphate and Nitrogen but prefer not directly dosing it but provide it by other ways, but yes if you want to control how much it really gets into the system, dosing it is the best way.

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wiped them out with a rip clean and then hydrogen peroxide dosing to kill the last remnants. I also had a massive gha invasion covering my rocks though which was what caused the Dino infestation by stripping nutrients from the water. Removed all rocks and scrubbed with steel wire brush until they were mostly white, then removed all sand and washed it with a hose in a bucket until the water came out crystal clear (about 10-15 minute process per bucket filled 1/3 with sand) and then rinsed with RO or distilled water before returning. This allowed my nutrients to rise again. H202 dosing is in my opinion to get rid of the last of the Dino’s not the first thing to do. The rip clean removed an insane amount of waste from the system, I’m talking about after I dumped most of the water out of the rock scrubbing tote the bottom was about 6 gallons of what I would be proud to pour out of my skimmer and smelled exactly like skimmate. And that’s just what the algae was trapping in the rock pores. The tank is a 125 with 150 or so pounds of rock and it’s only been set up a year though the rocks have been live for over 3 years in a previous setup. In my case all that garbage was fueling massive gha growth that was stripping nutrients from the water. A hard reset to break the cycle. I also removed some of the rocks to help with flow and maintenance.

Attachments

• 9166A679-92F9-4AF3-887E-D826361C9AFC.png
    9166A679-92F9-4AF3-887E-D826361C9AFC.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • 6C6841AB-1904-4977-8F0B-914900016FCA.jpeg
    6C6841AB-1904-4977-8F0B-914900016FCA.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 101

kngt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this coolia? I have been battling Amphidinium for a bit and this one is new.

@taricha

Attachments

• 20220122_124700.mp4
    26.1 MB

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, Recently noticed Dinos starting growing , believe this is the strain I'm fighting , although I can't confirm it with a microscope.

I will post here what I already done / been doing , and will update on my fight with dinos , might end up helping someone in the future if I beat them.

So , I was reading 1 ppm No3 and 0.00 Po4 at the start of my dino appearance . This was something I noticed Around 25/12/2021 , but I only started taking action 5 days ago.

Actions I took:

--> Feed heavier , several times a day
--> Started feeding phytoplankton daily
--> Got some Copepods to help biodiversity
--> Started dosing daily Bacto Blend by FM and Waste-Away by Dr tim.
--> Took out my filter sock , hoping to help raise nutrients.
--> Stopped scraping my glass, letting algae grow on it

My plan is to kill it with biodiversity and competing organisms, will see if it works, as of now , I see no regression on the dinos.

Good luck everyone!

Found out it was osteoporosis instead of amphidinium. Kept doing what I described above and added a low power UV 24/7. Most of it is gone now :)

Current 0.07 po4 ; 1ppm no3 ( cant get no3 higher idk why )

angrynoodle11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading through this thread religiously because I thought I had amphidinium but it's all over my rocks, glass, and sand bed. Could this be small cell amphidinium? They move pretty quickly in the sample and they have the little beak to the side.

Photo 1 is from the glass
Photos 2-4 are from the sand
Photo 5 is from the rock.
Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• Glass feb 22.JPG
    Glass feb 22.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 81
  • Sand feb 22.JPG
    Sand feb 22.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Sand2 feb 22.JPG
    Sand2 feb 22.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Sand 3 Feb 22.JPG
    Sand 3 Feb 22.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Rock Feb 22.JPG
    Rock Feb 22.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 65

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading through this thread religiously because I thought I had amphidinium but it's all over my rocks, glass, and sand bed. Could this be small cell amphidinium? They move pretty quickly in the sample and they have the little beak to the side.

Difficult to confirm at that level of magnification.

Here is a link to @taricha popular Ident guide. Look closely at the embedded videos for both types and make a determination. Really fast ones are likely small cell though. LC Amphids are slower, swimming in a "Roomba" fashion.

dinoflagellate-identification-guide.671466/

And here is an article link that may help with both dinos and insomnia.

Fins1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Been battling dinos for about a month in my 180. No improvement yet. Raised my phosphates to .1 nitrates to about 12. Been adding phyto, pods and microbacter 7. Just got my Hanna silica tester ULR in and a bottle of sponge excel.
My questions are: What number am I shooting for on the Hanna tester. I remember reading something about multiplying the Hanna number by something but can’t find it now.
How fast can you raise silica levels?
Anything else I should be doing?
Thank everyone for posting here.

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling cyano right now and few spots looked snotty so I go paranoid and took a couple slides. Any ideas how to proceed with both? It took a lot of looking to spot the few cells each in different samples so it doesn’t seem like I have a lot

Attachments

• EAA00750-57DE-4C9D-8C0A-F88706AC8317.jpeg
    EAA00750-57DE-4C9D-8C0A-F88706AC8317.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 47
  • BCCC62C9-AEAB-4821-9871-1EC066362C0B.jpeg
    BCCC62C9-AEAB-4821-9871-1EC066362C0B.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 27F9356A-4178-4F1A-914D-83F762300E3A.jpeg
    27F9356A-4178-4F1A-914D-83F762300E3A.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 42
  • D38773F5-585E-49D8-B811-193F40293268.jpeg
    D38773F5-585E-49D8-B811-193F40293268.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 45
  • AAE43345-C95D-497E-9E2A-273C2971E210.jpeg
    AAE43345-C95D-497E-9E2A-273C2971E210.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 75

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling cyano right now and few spots looked snotty so I go paranoid and took a couple slides. Any ideas how to proceed with both? It took a lot of looking to spot the few cells each in different samples so it doesn’t seem like I have a lot
Hard to confirm at that level of magnification. Pressed to speculate, I would say I see both large cell and small cell amphidinium. Were the small ones racing around real fast? Were the large ones swimming in a Roomba pattern?

Dosing Chemiclean (or other erythromycin products) would accomplish two things:
a) remove the cyano
b) allow the dinos to take over almost guaranteed

I have no sure fire remedies for persistent cyano. Mine are typically a transitory effect of bouncing or uncoordinated nutrient levels, so I just keep up with manual removal and stabilized nutrients. It can take a while, and yes, it is annoying. But cyano itself doesn't do real damage to corals as long as you manage (remove) it regularly.

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to confirm at that level of magnification. Pressed to speculate, I would say I see both large cell and small cell amphidinium. Were the small ones racing around real fast? Were the large ones swimming in a Roomba pattern?

Dosing Chemiclean (or other erythromycin products) would accomplish two things:
a) remove the cyano
b) allow the dinos to take over almost guaranteed

I have no sure fire remedies for persistent cyano. Mine are typically a transitory effect of bouncing or uncoordinated nutrient levels, so I just keep up with manual removal and stabilized nutrients. It can take a while, and yes, it is annoying. But cyano itself doesn't do real damage to corals as long as you manage (remove) it regularly.
Yeah I’m not too concerned with cyano as I k ow how to treat that but the Dinos with cyano is what I am thinking about. Hoping the cyano could outcompete the Dinos ? I know the magnification isn’t the best but I had to use a lesser magnification to actually spot them. I found maybe one per slide and they were very active swimmers.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m not too concerned with cyano as I k ow how to treat that but the Dinos with cyano is what I am thinking about. Hoping the cyano could outcompete the Dinos ? I know the magnification isn’t the best but I had to use a lesser magnification to actually spot them. I found maybe one per slide and they were very active swimmers.
Good attitude regarding cyano. People get into trouble trying kill it all the time. It is extremely common for cyano and dinos to coexist.

How are you set for NO3 and PO4?

marinaaquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to seek advice. I bought the HANNA silica tester and my blank always reads L.Lo. Has anyone had this problem? What am I doing wrong?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1-4 are all SCA. #5 is also most likely all SCA but can't completely exclude something else.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to seek advice. I bought the HANNA silica tester and my blank always reads L.Lo. Has anyone had this problem? What am I doing wrong?

You're probably not doing anything wrong. I don't trust any of the hobby kits (even Hanna) for silicon. I would check with Hanna and submit an ICP test the same day and see how they compare.

Are you trying to elevate silicates due to LCA or SCA? If so what are you using to do so?

mikeytrw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I posted recently for a visual ID and it was suggested I just had diatoms (tank is only 4 months old) however after more persistent checking of sand with a microscope I found clusters of thousands of tiny moving things which look very much like Large Cell Amphidinium. I've attached a video for your thoughts.

I guess I'm now looking at either dosing silicate or hoping CUC will remove this. The infestation is pretty bad atm.

Nitrate = 1.6ppm, phosphate 0.02 ppm. Both read with Hanna colorimeters.

Apologies for the crappy video.

BTW - the reason I wanted to look so closely again at this is because I noticed my snails were avoiding the sanded, whereas before when I just had diatoms they munched their way through them on a daily basis.

EDIT: not sure if the vid is working so I've uploaded to YouTube:

Last edited:

mikeytrw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an addendum to the above, I think these are actually Amphidinium Carterae i.e. small cell Amphi.

This picture here aligns perfectly with what I'm seeing.

Back