Amphidinium Dinoflagellates in a new tank

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgot to mention;
I also turned the temperature up to 28C
Corals seem happy, fish seem happy, I read this will help kill off dinos. So we shall see.
I’m still running phosguard. It removes silicates as well so hopefully green algae will take over rather than brown diatom. Although diatoms aren’t dying off completely (saw them under microscope) I want to focus on biodiversity from now on.
you really want diatom bloom. Those can outcompete dinos.

OP
OP
S

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't stop phyto if it was me. Let you tank get dirty so other things can outcompete the dinos. Amphidium are tough ones that uv wont kill. I would also research dosing silicates. I think that helps alot with that type of dino. I have beat them twice but it was tough for me.
Hey thanks for your reply! If u read my updates in the thread, you’ll see I realized I actually had Ostreopsis. I ended up letting my tank get super dirty which helped a lot. Kept dosing phyto and nitrate. I didn’t dose silicate though but I have some visible diatoms now and the snails are eating them up.
so far so good since the last water change and manual removal.

OP
OP
S

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you really want diatom bloom. Those can outcompete dinos.
That’s true. My tank is pretty much clear now. Couple of tiny thin strings but that’s it. I really hope they don’t come back. I’m trying to keep nitrate at 5 and phosphate at 0.1. All corals look happy! But it’s only been 3 days

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for your reply! If u read my updates in the thread, you’ll see I realized I actually had Ostreopsis. I ended up letting my tank get super dirty which helped a lot. Kept dosing phyto and nitrate. I didn’t dose silicate though but I have some visible diatoms now and the snails are eating them up.
so far so good since the last water change and manual removal.
Good to hear. Sorry I didn't read through the entire post. I wouldn't dose silicates then since they can cause diatom blooms. If you have trouble later on with Ostreopsis, UV will kill those from what I have read. I have never had those though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back