Amphidinium predator discovery

yeldarbj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of a battle with what I assume to be amphidinium dinoflagellates. I'm dosing nitrates, phosphates, and silica in order to increase populations of diatoms, cyano, and other algae. After several weeks, I'm starting to see bigger populations of each of those which in turn is providing habitat for other critters. I check several samples each week just to see what is going on microscopically. I came across this guy with what appears to be a body full of amphidinium. Any ideas of what it is? I assume it's a larval stage of some pod. I just need to keep increasing my population of them.

IMG_20200705_170734.jpg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of a battle with what I assume to be amphidinium dinoflagellates. I'm dosing nitrates, phosphates, and silica in order to increase populations of diatoms, cyano, and other algae. After several weeks, I'm starting to see bigger populations of each of those which in turn is providing habitat for other critters. I check several samples each week just to see what is going on microscopically. I came across this guy with what appears to be a body full of amphidinium. Any ideas of what it is? I assume it's a larval stage of some pod. I just need to keep increasing my population of them.

IMG_20200705_170734.jpg
That’s cool! Hey @taricha

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's REALLY COOL!

Wampatom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great. It certainly looks like dinos in the organism. Did you see the tardigrade actually eat one? The body is quite transparent so dinos might show through.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do we know that the organism is not just simply crawling on top of the dino? Especially since he is very obviously relatively see through. Not trying to be a debbie downer here, just saying.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do we know that the organism is not just simply crawling on top of the dino? Especially since he is very obviously relatively see through. Not trying to be a debbie downer here, just saying.
I actually looked into this a bit. It seems really unlikely those are whole dinos ingested by the tardigrade. Tardigrades eat by piercing/sucking.
This paper:
Form and function of the feeding apparatus in Eutardigrada (Tardigrada) -Roberto Guidetti
shows the morphology of the tardigrade mouthparts.
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 5.49.49 PM.png

Mouth opening is only a few microns wide. Whole dino cell ingestion doesn't seem possible.

Could find no reference to tardigrades eating dinoflagellates, but they do prey on diatoms - by piercing and sucking out the cell contents.
Check this video at 2:42. Sucking out the insides of a diatom. So cool.
how do tardigrades feed?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually looked into this a bit. It seems really unlikely those are whole dinos ingested by the tardigrade. Tardigrades eat by piercing/sucking.
This paper:
Form and function of the feeding apparatus in Eutardigrada (Tardigrada) -Roberto Guidetti

Mouth opening is only a few microns wide. Whole dino cell ingestion doesn't seem possible.

Could find no reference to tardigrades eating dinoflagellates, but they do prey on diatoms - by piercing and sucking out the cell contents.
how do tardigrades feed?
My wife said she’s gonna have nightmares now :)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife said she’s gonna have nightmares now :)
yeah, I should have qualified. "So cool" and also freaky and disturbing to some viewers. :)

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This paper:

how do tardigrades feed?
Really amazing video!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was messing with the scope yesterday, trying to figure out if I have some kind of acro parasite. Amazing what is living in a sample of visually clear water at (I think) 1000X.

Attachments

• IMG-4811.MOV
    11.2 MB

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some vids I took last night. I don't really do "the science", but thought it was interesting. Having a large cell amphdinium nightmare, and thought this guy was helping in the fight.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some vids I took last night. I don't really do "the science", but thought it was interesting. Having a large cell amphdinium nightmare, and thought this guy was helping in the fight.

I hereby nominate you for the most prestigious (made up) award:

Dinoflagellate Cinematographer of the Year Award!!! :cool::cool::cool:

In the first film around 4:20, just as the beat drops back in, you can see the pod taking one down. And you can see several consumed dinos in the thorax. Awesome work.

LC Amphids are the least toxic, so I am not surprised to see this.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back