Amphioods and Copepods ? Keep?

Ceri720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - new tank 7 weeks old at end of cycling. I just noticed what I assume are Amphioods or Copepods swimming in tank. I have a CUC so I assume to allow them to remain and feed my hermit crabs or peppermint shrimp.

Good, bad or ugly? Advice please.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - new tank 7 weeks old at end of cycling. I just noticed what I assume are Amphioods or Copepods swimming in tank. I have a CUC so I assume to allow them to remain and feed my hermit crabs or peppermint shrimp.

Good - larger pods will eat smaller pods and perhaps even be part of CUC (until eaten). IF your CUC can't keep up with eating them, a single fish is likely to wipe them out down to not noticeable. You must have used live rock if you're surprised by them. I'm not a fan of being surprised by things in my tank. My slice of ecosystem is too small (only 180g) so prefer only what I purposely introduce.

Pods are something I (re)introduce multiple times each month as my LFSs and AlgaeBarn carry pods. If they perhaps came in on coral frags, then perhaps improve your dip process to multi-step before something undesirable gets in.

Enjoy & good luck

Upvote 0

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Generally pods don't free-swim in open water. You'll see them crawling on your rocks/glass/sand.
Pods are a great part of the CUC, and tasty fish food.

Upvote 0

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods - good and pretty impossible to not have.

Amphipods - there's literally thousands of different types so it's hard to say. Generally they're considered safe. I did have an issue where I had a huge population and they attacked my new coral frags. I solved it with a red lined wrasse. Again probably impossible to keep out of your tank.

Upvote 0

themericks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are good, I specifically made sure to keep some when I tore down my old tank and turned it into a QT system. They really help as CUC and to feed larger organisms.

Upvote 0
Back