Amphipod or Isopod or?

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a few of these wile adjusting flow to a corner and this guy got stirred up with others like it. I managed to suck him up. There are more and I will see if I can capture some. I do have lots of copepods of different species but they are much smaller. This guy is about 6-7mm when in the tank. I have mainly live rock from a LFS that brought me an assortment of creatures...
Is this a good one?

20210507_142526.jpg 20210507_142505.jpg 20210507_142428.jpg

OP
OP
Swede Reef

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick answers. I looked it up and it looks like a Grammarus pod from what I found so far. My clown fish did not try to eat it. I have a mixture of corals mainly LPS and some softies. Should I try to remove them or leave them?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick answers. I looked it up and it looks like a Grammarus pod from what I found so far. My clown fish did not try to eat it. I have a mixture of corals mainly LPS and some softies. Should I try to remove them or leave them?
Many will say totally harmless.
I will say there's literally thousands of different species and nearly impossible to tell them all apart.
I can tell you if certain populations are left unchecked and allowed to get out of control they will eat corals when no other food source is present. Plenty of that available on search. Ive experienced it.
A wrasse will eat them and keep them under control.
They also grow and molt like crazy and make a mess.
Total nuisance in my system tbh

OP
OP
Swede Reef

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be confined to a back corner for now. Should I vacuum them up when I clean the tank. I have about a 2 inch sand bed in that corner. I usually try to leave the sand alone most of the time as lots of other creatures live in it.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be confined to a back corner for now. Should I vacuum them up when I clean the tank. I have about a 2 inch sand bed in that corner. I usually try to leave the sand alone most of the time as lots of other creatures live in it.
If they are bothering you yes you can vacuum out as you see fit. Probably tons of eggs and babies not seen.
Otherwise just keep an eye on things and see what they are doing. Mine will cluster around corals and irritate them.

OP
OP
Swede Reef

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far only one corner. Will leave them alone for now unless a problems start. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
Swede Reef

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many (most?) fish will see them as tasty fresh snacks. In 30+ years I have yet to have a system with too many.
Leaving them alone for now as they do not seem to bother my corals :) If I get overrun might add another fish that likes them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back