Amphipod or shrimp molt?

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

I found this molt in my tank this morning. If I had to guess I’d say the molt is about 1/2” long. My rock is live rock from KP aquatics and GulfLiveRock. What are the odds that this is from some sneaky and cool little shrimp? Or, does it look like an amphipod?

45D2260A-C531-4DBD-9DD3-FA99B2E60284.jpeg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell, although 1/2 inch would be larger than any pod in my tank. I’d go with a shrimp. Probably a snapping shrimp. Have you heard any loud cracking or popping sounds? Nice rock BTW

M

Max_nano

View Badges
The shape looks similar to my sexy shrimp molts, but they aren’t very shy. I agree with @dwest it looks large for a pod

OP
OP
F

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody! I hope it's a shrimp! I haven't heard any snapping sounds and I have been listening for them which is why I was surprised to find the molt this morning.

I have been seeing what I can only describe as bubbles of mucus strands and sand being ejected from one area of my tank. They dissipate quickly in the current and I haven't been able to get any videos or pictures. Could this shrimp be producing those? They always come from the same area in the tank but they definitely come out of more than one hole in the rock.

This brings up another question, as well. I'm in the GHA stage of this tank for sure, so I've been removing the rocks one or two at a time and scrubbing them each day. If I pick up the rock where this shrimp is, will it be ok out of the tank during the quick (5 minute or less) scrub?

And finally, while I'd be psyched to have a pistol shrimp I'd be less thrilled about a baby mantis because I've got other animals in the tank that I'd like to keep alive. Is there anything I can do to try and lure the shrimp into the open for ID?

Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back