Amps Reef Life 180 Gallon in Wall Reef

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on some new photos of the tank with a better camera. I also should have a video coming soon. I bought a new return pump it should be here soon. I got the Reef Octopus VARIOS-8 and I am hoping I can install it this weekend.

Current stock list
4 tangs - Naso, lieutenant, two blue hippo tangs.
8 Wrasse - Black Leopard, Potters wrasse, two leopard wrasse, Ornate leopard, Blue star wrasse, Mystery wrasse and one flame wrasse.
1 Fox face fish I am trying to catch. I am not a fan of him.
I lost my super male lineatus wrasse due to a parasite :(

What is wrong with the fox face? I have a One Spot Foxface and mine is a model citizen. He hangs around my Yellow Tang all day. Its almost like they are a pair.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is wrong with the fox face? I have a One Spot Foxface and mine is a model citizen. He hangs around my Yellow Tang all day. Its almost like they are a pair.

My Fox face does nothing but hides from me and always has from day one. All my fish will come up and eat when I am feeding some even eat from my hand. He will hide when I approach my tank but all my other fish come to greet me lol. I have a bubble coral that's been with me for almost two years. Its really ticked off and I think its the fox face picking at it. I just started trying to catch him so I know his behavior isn't from me trying to catch him. He's just not a friendly fish and I don't like it.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fox face does nothing but hides from me and always has from day one. All my fish will come up and eat when I am feeding some even eat from my hand. He will hide when I approach my tank but all my other fish come to greet me lol. I have a bubble coral that's been with me for almost two years. Its really ****** off and I think its the fox face picking at it. I just started trying to catch him so I know his behavior isn't from me trying to catch him. He's just not a friendly fish and I don't like it.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with him. Mine was shy at forst but after a month or two he has not been as shy.Good luck catching him!

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear you are having problems with him. Mine was shy at forst but after a month or two he has not been as shy.Good luck catching him!

Thanks, buddy. Hopefully, I will be able to get him. No way I can net him it will have to be a fish trap. I got him on 1/2/18 and he's still super skittish.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After over a month of trying to catch that fox face, I finally got him. That son of a B**** started eating my corals. He took out my white and green bubble coral colony and he did some work to my pectina colony. I hoping they make a come back the green bubble is looking bad. I will upload some photos later. I lost a few sps colonies too. Never trust a Fox Face in a reef tank. I know for fact it was him I watched him eat on my corals multiple times.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the photos of the damage the fox face did. The white bubble Coral is making a come back. I have had this Coral for over 2 years. It was looking iffy for 2 months and I couldn't find out why. My parameters are in check everything else was doing fine and then one night eating dinner I saw the fox face come out and nip on the Coral for a bit. That's when I knew I had a problem. It took me about a month or more to catch him but he's finally gone. I'm pretty sure the green bubble Coral is gone but I'll leave it there for a bit maybe it will lay some babies.
51BCD1BB-FCFD-4F57-9103-336A318A5291.jpeg
DBF43167-D659-4AA0-93F8-7A897FBB0A16.jpeg

He nipped on the tips off the colony.

22280A36-033B-4A5B-8247-E8974F15CD90.jpeg

985752A2-8B49-41AF-B5A0-2684B6C642AC.jpeg

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this happened the other day. RIP Clam. FYI don't keep golden Dwarf eels with a clam. Lesson learned the hard way. I was sitting at my dinner table and looked at my tank and saw my eel diving into the clam. I grabbed my phone as quick as possible so I could record it.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems pretty wild about the eels. Do they normally seem aggressive like that towards other fish?

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build !!! I'm on the process to make a 75g in wall mount. Do you have any DO or Don't to follow ?

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build !!! I'm on the process to make a 75g in wall mount. Do you have any DO or Don't to follow ?

Thank you very much. The biggest advise I have is to make sure you can feed the tank from the front. A member on here gave me this advice and its made a big difference. I was originally planning on not having cabinets at the front of the tank. If you are going to have a fish room make sure you measure it out and plan out all your thoughts ahead of time. I went through a ton of different scenarios before the build-out began. I wanted a deeper tank but I had to make sure I would be comfortable in the fish room as you spend most of your time there doing tank maintenance.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. The biggest advise I have is to make sure you can feed the tank from the front. A member on here gave me this advice and its made a big difference. I was originally planning on not having cabinets at the front of the tank. If you are going to have a fish room make sure you measure it out and plan out all your thoughts ahead of time. I went through a ton of different scenarios before the build-out began. I wanted a deeper tank but I had to make sure I would be comfortable in the fish room as you spend most of your time there doing tank maintenance.
Thanks for the advise. I will look into that and see how would work. Really, I would like to have like a an aquarium style look, since the wall is about 5' long.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that tanks amazing, I love the eel!
Can we get a updated FTS?

Thank you very much @Preme I will work on getting an update FTS this weekend.

I am currently battling some blue star cloves that got into the tank. I am going to start the medication process of eliminating them next week. :(

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has had a few issues the past month or so. This is after I caught that dang Foxface who took down three colonies of corals. A small Alk spike due to me mixing my alk a little stronger than normal which I have never done in my 5 years of the hobby. I almost lost a large monti colony but it looks like its making a come back. Some odd algae I am battling but the worst is the BCP I am battling. They are spreading all over the tank. The upside is my zoas have really taken off but I need to get ahead of the BCP before they smother them. I am following this treatment method. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/eliminating-blue-clove-polyps-with-fenbendazole.308994/ I will keep the thread updated as I go.

Pictures were taken before treatment.
44997924_1176898549131104_7935354144133480448_n.jpg

45014908_265108237377660_3918615941964890112_n.jpg

45055453_353302382082935_3753244518359498752_n.jpg

44929684_419757918556266_8618025344563150848_n.jpg

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 hours of treatment.

I have a crazy Cyano outbreak going on. I'm guessing it may be due to the meds? I am not sure I had just a little before treatment but not it's going crazy.

The only coral I have had that's been bothered by the treatment is the BTA.
72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back