An addendum to feeding and meds

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An addendum to feeding and meds in regards to lions and other predatory fish like scorps and anglers. Disclaimer: I am not an "internet expert" and these are just my observations over decades and 100s of examples of these types of fish, my "opinion" in other words, and everybody has one.

Some of these points I mentioned before, but a couple have been on my mind lately, and some may have changed over time. Medicating lions is a very delicate operation, in all truth, it should be avoided unless absolutely necessary between life and death. I have even decided to not prophylactically treat for parasites, initially, and wait on 2 factors to determine if I would. At the contrary of many, a healthy lion will immediately eat, I mean they will even eat a live ghosty in the bag while floating. This is a big clue, those lions that didn't eat right away, i always had issues. i will also watch for the telltale signs of parasites; stringy poo, insatiable appetite, fading color, and lethargy. The reason I changed my tune on this, is because as of today, the only lions that I have that have live more than year and a half; the only med they have ever been exposed to has been prazi pro. I now have lost a lion after 6 months and one afer 14 months that was treated with general cure. The jury is still not out on general cure, as both those fish had other factors, I have one active now that was treated with gc a few months ago. Very IMPORTANT: never, ever, get a lion from a source that runs copper in their system. Treatment with copper and antibiotics seem almost guaranteed of some sort of organ failure. I have cut a number of lions open to see hemorrhaged organs and some even in a state of liquidation. I have never had a scorp tolerate any med whatever, the one that did seem to tolerate general cure, died a couple days after treatment, he was healthy and in the tank over a year, the treatment was for another fish in the tank. Anglers are bit more confusing, as they are hard to keep alive anyway, so you never know, but they follow suit as not to live very long after treatment of any kind, or tolerate it at all. My determination that it was an organ failure likely due to med or other chemical(cyanide) exposure is that these fish were otherwise healthy and thriving, in tanks with with other healthy and thriving fish, other lions and scorps; so there was no signs of disease or a tank issue.

Let's talk about food. Be in denial all you want, there is absolutely no guarantee that you will convert your lion(volitan excluded), scorp, or angler to dead food. Even if you do it is tricky to get them to consume enough or a variety of nutrionally balanced foods that does not contain thiaminase. Thiaminase will bind vit B1 and your fish will die sometimes within only a few months. Krill is the #1 killer. Don't get so happy or proud if you get your lion eating dead food, 2 or 3 months later, they may just stop eating all together. If you are dead set on feeding dead food, be careful of under feeding, as well as over feeding. They will never catch enough food from the water column to sustain long term, they will slowly starve. If you get them eating good, theyu will always act starve and keep coming back for more, so be careful not to over feed. Supplementation with a multi-vit including a good amount of vit B1 and an essential fatty acid supplement is highly recommended. Getting some whole fish including bones and guts is also very desirable, the Hikari brand of silversides doesn't contain thiaminase, some of the other do.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hikari brand vs others, is this dependant on where they are caught? I've noticed that the same fish being caught off different places can made my fish either eat or ignore food. This is comparing silversides vs smelt. Not sure if they are different food or labeled according to where they are caught.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silversides is just another name for smelt, all silversides are smelt, but there are several species of smelt. Hikari uses Pseudohemiculter dispa, which from my research has been found not to contain thiaminase. Rainbow smelt is a common fish used branded as silversides, it's hard to determine because most brands don't list the exact species they use, rainbow smelt is known to contain thiaminase. I likely use or have used rainbow smelt, but the point is none of this is the dominant or only thing in their diet. And i do use a couple of supplements that have vit B1 added and I feed a large amount of gut loaded and vit enhanced live foods.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing my fuzzy will eat are live ghost shrimp. He shows no interest in anything else. I have tried white worms and small live fish.
He eats 2-4 every other day. He is growing.

Is there anything else I could try I haven't thought of.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are happy feeding live ghosties there's nothing wrong with that, I've had some on just ghosties for years. One tip; keep a small tank/container for your ghosties, dose container with chemivit per instructions to volume and feed a good quality marine pellet like Omega One micro pellets.

Try feeder guppies and small mollies of appropriate size. Mollies can easily live in sw, so letting a couple just swim around for a while may give him a chance to get interested. Dead food can be hit or miss or not at all, methods can be found in post and it's all about patience and perseverance. I don't feed alot of dead but do like my lion's eating it just in case I don't have available live. Worms, brine and such are a waste of time. The krill at the asian market is opaque in color and whole, so many times they will take to that; but please feed krill very sparingly or just in a pinch. Feed your fresh dead ghosties as this sometimes get them to take other dead items.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried guppies and mollies. He shows no interest. The eel eats them or they die and go down the overflow to where the crabs are.

I have read your other posts.
I keep the shrimp in this and am feeding them Ocean Nutrition formula one and two pellets.
I am hoping they start making more. Some have eggs now.
IMG_2022-L.jpg

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tanks that get live food with multiple preds in each, different sizes and different food preferences, so it can get complicated and I am a bit methodical. It also depends on the size of prey and what I'm feeding; ghosties, guppies or mollies, or dead. I use a feeding stick to control how much every one is eating, sometimes herding a fish or ghostie when necessary. I usually make sure every one eats enough and one doesn't pig it all down. Sometimes I will just dump a big haul of ghosties in and let every one free for all, not too often though. In the end I judge how plump every ones belly is, i don't concern myself if a stray ghostie or molly gets away, they'll catch them eventually or the cuc will get them. I do put them in a few at a time and observe. If I were only feeding one in a tank, I'd dump a few in, watch him hunt them down, and herd the ones necessary, until i was satisfied he got his fill. I go through 100 ghosties, 20 guppies, and 20 mollies a week; right now.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used chloroquine phosphate at all with them? Curious as it reads to be the wonder drug for qt with most

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the new guy, he's about 2.5", although sometimes more difficult the smaller ones have a better chance coming in parasite free. If he was fed at all he likely got brine shrimp or maybe a guppy, so a safer bet to not get parasites. He's too small to eat the dying and diseased fish the suppliers usually feed these guys on their travels. This guy will not get a prophylactic dose of gc or pp, I will keep a close eye. He ate 3 ghosties immediately after introduction.

002.jpg

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead, I didn't see him die, but the white coloring I've seen before, my best guess is cyanide poisoning. I've seen them die like this before, he likely had seizures. I've seen a huge increase in mortality lately and the dark secret is, cyanide is back in play, big time. Over the last few years I've had more fish die in just a couple days than actually survived. Of the ones survived, most of them had to be treated for one thing or another, then die a few months to a year later. I'm done, I will not purchase another fish, it is just no longer worth it.

002.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the loss. My last lion was late 80’s. Awesome fish.

Sorry if I missed, what area was yours from? I’m wondering if your thinking cyanide is back than it will be seen across the board.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macna was here last year and a board member and some industry people were at my friends lfs, during our conversation, they were all in agreement, that cyanide use was back in play. Yes by the conversation, I was thinking across the board.

I've seen a few fish seize, flash pale, then do that a few times, then die. I've seen more fish dead at the lfs, friends that I having working at the lfs, say their losses have been huge of late.

Faded color, not eating and looking lethargic, what are other things to look for lions/scorps?

Cloudy eyes, pinched stomach. The problem is that the fish will appear to be healthy, even eat right away, then just drop dead unexpectedly. You see the 1st pic was about 12 hours before the 2nd pic; the fish ate immediately, cruising, perching out in the open, and 2 days after intro, dead.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used chloroquine phosphate at all with them? Curious as it reads to be the wonder drug for qt with most

I've never used cp, it is not the wonder drug you think it is, most people do not have the success you read about here. 1st, you can not test for it; 2nd, strength varies dramatically so it's really hard to dose. People using it phophalactically don't get a true read if it really works or not. I have not met anyone in person that have had success with it. It's been around a long, long time; it just a rehash of a previous drug that had questionable results. Lions and scorps are generally very resistant to protozoan diseases like ich and velvet; their slime coating seem to resist attachment and they actually shed their cuticle layer for added protection.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used cp, it is not the wonder drug you think it is, most people do not have the success you read about here. 1st, you can not test for it; 2nd, strength varies dramatically so it's really hard to dose. People using it phophalactically don't get a true read if it really works or not. I have not met anyone in person that have had success with it. It's been around a long, long time; it just a rehash of a previous drug that had questionable results. Lions and scorps are generally very resistant to protozoan diseases like ich and velvet; their slime coating seem to resist attachment and they actually shed their cuticle layer for added protection.

How often do your lions usually shed? My rhinopias does it about once a week and my lion does it a couple times a month I think. It’s hard to tell because I never see it happen.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do your lions usually shed? My rhinopias does it about once a week and my lion does it a couple times a month I think. It’s hard to tell because I never see it happen.

Yeah my rhino pretty frequently, at least compared to the lions. You can see the thick slime the rhino sheds pretty easily, right. I rarely see my lions shedding, I'll just see one with opaque, faded coloring one day then bright and beautiful the next, and occasional bits of skin floating around.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my rhino pretty frequently, at least compared to the lions. You can see the thick slime the rhino sheds pretty easily, right. I rarely see my lions shedding, I'll just see one with opaque, faded coloring one day then bright and beautiful the next, and occasional bits of skin floating around.

Yeah when the rhino sheds there’s thick slime in the powerheads and all over the rocks, the lion just leaves little pieces. I’ve been keeping reptiles for 15 years, never thought I’d have fish that shed too, pretty cool.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clarifying my thoughts on cp. Because I find lions and scorps very resistant to ich and velvet, I dont find it necessary to prophalactically treat for these type of diseases. When I say "I never met anyone in person who had success with cp", I mean in the actual tretment of a diagnesed case of ich or velvet.

The theraputic dose of cp still gets suggestions all over the board. You can not test to insure you are at theraputic levels. Sources are difficult; purity and strength are questionable. Any displacement has to be carefully considered and it can not be used in a tank with anything that can absorb, rocks, substrate, etc. Light diminishes its capability. People were using this as long as I have been in the hobby, almost 30 years, with less than desirable results. So cp is not for me.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had to treat a lionfish for a bacterial infection? Mine has come down with a pretty bad one and I’m curious as to what your thoughts are on what action to take, if any.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back