An Adventure into Stomatopod Photography and Microscopy

OPMantisShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occasionally when mantis shrimp molt, they throw out certain pieces of their old selves. Anything that cannot be consumed for extra calcium is discarded or if it just doesn't taste right. I call these "stomato-gifts". Through careful extraction procedures (grabbing with tongs when they are thrown out), I have assembled somewhat of a collection. For the longest time I photographed them with a simple smartphone camera but now I have made the journey into getting a closer view with the aid of my microscopes. Thusly I present the below. More to come as I get the time and camera settings correct on the scopes.

3 Pics of 40X on a G. chiragra dactyl
1 Pic of 2 G. chiragra dactyls
1 pic of an O. scyllarus Maxilliped
1 pic of an O. scyllarus raptorial appendage
1 pic of an O. scyllarus telson
1 pic of an O. scyllarus telson 40X
1 pic of an O. scyllarus uropod
1 pic of an assortment of O. scyllarus parts

Enjoy

G chiragra dactyl 1 40X.jpg G chiragra Dactyl 2 40X.jpg G chiragra Dactyl 3 40X.jpg G chiragra dactyls.jpg O scyllarus Assortment.jpg O scyllarus Maxillipeds 1.jpg O scyllarus raptorial appendage.jpg O scyllarus Telson 40X.jpg O scyllarus Telson.jpg O scyllarus Uropod 1.jpg

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should dip them in something to harden them then put them together to eventually create a model mantis

OP
OP
OPMantisShrimp

OPMantisShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Stomatopods-gifts” following along for this, those shots are epic
Thanks! :) I am working on getting more focused shots at 80X to get real nice detail. I have yet to get tissue slices from the molts as I only have around 10-15 parts. She just molted so it will be a while before I can try tissue at 1000X

OP
OP
OPMantisShrimp

OPMantisShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should dip them in something to harden them then put them together to eventually create a model mantis
Most have already hardened. The maxillipeds were dipped in 70% ethanol to clean as they were very "mushy" as opposed to the others. Dactyls always preserve well. I have had my G. chiragra dactyls since 2011 with no deterioration. It makes sense due to the significant calcification at the heal. Telson and uropods though are brittle.

I doubt I could make a full specimen just from molts as they tend to eat the more "soft parts". I don't want to be trying to take her calcium vitamins from her!

OP
OP
OPMantisShrimp

OPMantisShrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O scyllarus Carapace and maxillipeds at a different angle.

Attachments

• O scyllarus Carapace 1.jpg
    O scyllarus Carapace 1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 25
  • O scyllarus Carapace 2.jpg
    O scyllarus Carapace 2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 27
  • O scyllarus maxillipeds 2.jpg
    O scyllarus maxillipeds 2.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 22

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back