An Almost Successful In Tank AEFW Treatment

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe your right Ty. I went back to look at the video better and those don't look like AEFWs. Thanks, Good catch.

So what does he do for Black Bugs?
You got me Malira!? [emoji15]

I've never had to deal with them but I heard it was a game ender... but then again, so was AEFWs 5 years ago and now look at us. [emoji4]

Brad Vaughn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well after taking all acros out for QT/hospital, and doing an extensive bayer dip, I believe I have aefw too. I am now wondering if there is a correlation since they seemed to be on the same corals. I used bayer at 30ml/cup of tank water for 30 minutes in a bucket with a powerhead. After the dip there was a lot of jelly-looking, beige clumps (dead worms clumped together?). Letting my display "rest" for 12 weeks to be sure.

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So AEFW and Black Bugs are related somehow? Can anyone who has had black bugs confirm that they had AEFW too?

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they were talking about black kinda looking spiders.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them the same time he got them...1.5 years later and black bug free but lost a ton of acros. The dip needs to be harsh. 4x revive at least 8 min is what did it for me each week for 6weeks in a separate hospital tank. These buggers are like bed bugs...extremely resilient and hard to kill. They populate very rapidly and are will dismantle acros extremely rapid. They make AEFW look desirable...and that's an understatement...I've had AEFW in the past also...but don't give up folks.

Last edited:

m3p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discovered AEFW in my 200 DD SPS dominated reef after losing a few frags. Started this in tank treatment today. We will see how it goes for me. The only fish in the tank is a 6 line wrasse (was fallow due to ich and added him back earlier this week from quarantine to help the situation). So far, results look promising.

m3p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i completed treatment in January. I did treatments every 2 weeks for a total of 3. So far I have not seen any evidence of aefw. No acro losses since January either. Overall, I'm very happy i found this thread. Probably saved me from leaving the hobby.

Rcfiftyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recent news or experiences with the potassium chloride in tank treatments? Im about ready to pull the trigger on treating my 180gal display and was hoping for some tips or words of encouragement. Lol. This has been the only thread I could find that mentioned any kind of success with the treatment.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no 100% in tank effective way to eradicate AEFW from a tank with Acropora in it. You must go fallow of Acropora for at least 5 weeks and treat all your Acropora in a QT setup. Only way to be rid 100% of this fiend.

IMO in tank treatments for AEFW are like trying to reinvent the wheel. It's not going to happen.

m3p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates??

There is no 100% in tank effective way to eradicate AEFW from a tank with Acropora in it. You must go fallow of Acropora for at least 5 weeks and treat all your Acropora in a QT setup. Only way to be rid 100% of this fiend.

IMO in tank treatments for AEFW are like trying to reinvent the wheel. It's not going to happen.

It has been about 9 months since completing my treatment and I've yet to see a flatworm (benign or bad) anywhere in my tank. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe the treatment worked. Either way, SPS are doing well. Great PE and colors are on point (both were not true when AEFW were in the picture last year). I have been using this product as a dip for any new coral additions.

Brad Vaughn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been about 9 months since completing my treatment and I've yet to see a flatworm (benign or bad) anywhere in my tank. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe the treatment worked. Either way, SPS are doing well. Great PE and colors are on point (both were not true when AEFW were in the picture last year). I have been using this product as a dip for any new coral additions.
what treatment did you use?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back