An alternative to painting your tank

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building an in-wall 120 and wanted a different solution to painting the sides and back of the tank. I've read quite a few ways people have blocked out their tanks but wasn't really satisfied. I wanted to be able to change colors from black to blue if the urge hit and I wanted to be able to see into my tank from the fish room behind the wall the tank is displayed in when I was performing maintanence.

Here's what I came up with: I used 1/4" pvc foam board. It comes in a number of sizes, thicknesses, and colors. It was lightweight but stiff and easy to cut using a table saw or circular saw.

iOMGnTW.png

For $50 (plus shipping) I bought two 1/4 x 24 x 48 pieces online from eplastics.com and cut them to fit between the top and bottom rims of my Aqueon 120. In the rear I had to notch out to accomodate the Shadow overflow. The trick to keeping a tight seam is making sure you butt together the two factory edges. If I had a rimless tank I would have used extruded plastic J-channels attached to the tank to hold them in place (also available online).

pUJ5vUn.jpg

GT3J28E.jpg

ROVXAUB.jpg

GCxjxIc.jpg

Best part about it is that if I want to change to a different color I just have to cut a second set. They are paintable, too, so If I didn't have the custom notch for the overflow I'd be able to just flip them around.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea.
I went to the fabric store and bought sea blue material, Then I made a curtain rod out of 1/2'' conduit. Strung up the material. I am able to pull back the curtain when I am at the back of the tank. The reflextion of the material from the front view makes it look like the side are also covered. Cost me less than $20. If I get tired of the color I can change it out for less than $10.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a thin piece of black plastic (1/16)with magnets glued on in each corner then on the tank braces.
It's worked for 8 years now. It's good because I can easily removed them to see in from the back (built in tank) and cleaning the back glass is as easy as cleaning the fromt.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great idea man! I would love to change mine out from black to blue and then back to black when I tire of the blue! Would be nice to be able to add gradient colors.

tobyte1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 6ft, 210g, I have a 'canvas-like' material that is black on one side and blue on the other. Its held to the back of the tank with velcro strips. I can change from black to blue in about two minutes. It's been working great for over five years now...

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used adhesive backed sign vinyl for years. Very easy to apply, comes in different colors, though I only use black. Is extremely easy to remove if you need to do so as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016MYMB5O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was some of the last that I purchased and worked well. If you can get the thickest mil you can locate, especially if installing on a large tank. You don't want to try applying a very thin vinyl on a 6'-8' tank. It will tear as you're positioning it. Always looks killer in the end.

mkj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, vinyl works great, cheapest and very easy to install/uninstall/change colour. Although, I don't know anyone that ever does that.

I use black vinyl that looks like Kevlar on the none stick side. Looks awesome

WDLV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if someone already stated this but...
Use black. The colors won't show up because there's air between the glass and the backing. I had a light blue backing on my 210 and it ended up looking black when installed.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back