An anemone that was on the oyster shell

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my parents got some live oysters delivered to them as a gift (for them to eat).
I found some interesting-looking anemone on one of their shells so I decided to put it in my tank (as you do). Yay! It's my first anemone and it's free! It got like 4 times bigger after getting into the water.
I tried googling and found out it's an "orange-striped green sea anemone" (Diadumene lineata). I didn't expect to actually be able to ID them by searching online.
I've read from some local sites that, according to some people that have kept them in their tanks before, these anemones seem quite hardy.
So far, it's only been a day but my sexy shrimps haven't hosted it and I'm not sure if they will.

IMG_20230310_144001.jpg

The snail on the right is the mud snail from the fish market that went into my tank around on June 2021. I've made a post about it before. Wow, it's almost been 2 years. There were like 4 that went in and I think there's only 1~2 that is still alive.
IMG_20230309_224732.jpg

When it's closed up. I've dropped a formula one pellet on it but it wasn't doing anything. Hours later it was all closed up. Not sure if it's related though.
IMG_20230310_175920.jpg

The oyster is also alive btw (at least for now). Doubt it will live for very long due to the water temp but if it can, I'm getting a bunch more to go in there.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat. Do these nems do well in warm-water tanks, though? I'd imagine they like the same conditions as the oysters.
Not my first-hand experience so I'm not sure how true this is but I've read they are especially hardy when it comes to the temp tolerance. Apparently they can live through hot, cold, or a sudden temp change (why can't all marine life be like this!).

Not sure about the oyster. I know most oysters normally need colder water to live so they won't live for long in the tank but also read somewhere there are certain species that can live in warm water (which this oyster most likely isn't).

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my first-hand experience so I'm not sure how true this is but I've read they are especially hardy when it comes to the temp tolerance. Apparently they can live through hot, cold, or a sudden temp change (why can't all marine life be like this!).

Not sure about the oyster. I know most oysters normally need colder water to live so they won't live for long in the tank but also read somewhere there are certain species that can live in warm water (which this oyster most likely isn't).
Not all oysters, they are found all over the coast from north carolina to florida, ( as far as southern states go I mean) and there are plenty of commercial harvests in those areas! So it could be a species that tolerates warm water.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked it up and it seems the oyster is pacific oyster that can live in warm temp (up to 32 celsius which my tank doesn't get to during summer) which is good. Though I'm not sure if there would be enough food for them to eat.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hardly ever see the anemone open when the lights are on but it opens up more often when dark. Is this normal? I thought the nems needed light.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nice find! It's a rock flower anemone. Very easy to care for, very low maintenance.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hardly ever see the anemone open when the lights are on but it opens up more often when dark. Is this normal? I thought the nems needed light.
This is very normal. Those nems are not photosynthetic. They prefer meaty foods like mysis.

They also do very well in tanks keep at in the 76-80 range with no issues.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure the sexy shrimps are now hosting on the nems. All my sexy shrimps spend most of their time around these small nems.
IMG_20230323_231621.jpg

IMG_20230323_141417.jpg

Also, there's something interesting on the oyster shell. It appears to be some sort of tunicate. I could see them move.
The red bits.
IMG_20230322_180651.jpg

These are photos taken with usb microscope. The color is different for some reason.
20230322_18_05_47.png

20230322_18_06_21.png

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very normal. Those nems are not photosynthetic. They prefer meaty foods like mysis.

They also do very well in tanks keep at in the 76-80 range with no issues.
I agree, this is likely a deeper water nem, doesnt need much light. NPS as @Eagle_Steve said. Feed it some mysis tonight.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about a month and half since I put them in.
Both the nems and oysters are doing well enough it seems. One of the nem is always hungry and it can eat big chunks too. Sexys love hanging around it.
I'm glad the oysters are alive and pooping.
Sadly the tunicates are no more. They disappeared in just 2 days since I took the photos above. There were very little left the following day then all gone the day after. I'm guessing something in the tank ate them while I wasn't looking.
Should have put in a couple more oysters back when I had the chance.
IMG_20230407_002625.jpg

IMG_20230419_004507.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back