An attempt at a super simple and aesthetic 32G rimless mixed reef - no sump, no skimmer, no problem?

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more recent shots. Created a profile on instagram (dr.flippersreef) if anyone wants to follow the journey. Added quite a few more SPS corals, now I just can't wait to see when/if they start to take off :)

1573561883152.png

1573561910123.png

1573561939928.png
Looks great.
Followed on Instagram. :)

Sweetreef21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful beautiful beautiful!!! I love such simplicity in something this beautiful. Love your lighting choice as well.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your canister filter in that canvas bag?

Very beautiful setup all around. I hope you become a general practitioner. Even if you end up being a horrible doctor, I'd let you do your best just to sit in the waiting room and see the setup I'm sure you'll have there. ;Joyful

OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your canister filter in that canvas bag?

Very beautiful setup all around. I hope you become a general practitioner. Even if you end up being a horrible doctor, I'd let you do your best just to sit in the waiting room and see the setup I'm sure you'll have there. ;Joyful

Its behind it actually, the ATO reservoir and my countless accessories/tools are in the canvas bag :).

Hahaha its good to know I have that as a back up :D

Dude your like an aquarium artist, I feel inspired and upset that I recently purchased a basic 75g haha

Haha thanks man! Im sure you can pull something awesome off with that 75g ? :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank looks awesome

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its behind it actually, the ATO reservoir and my countless accessories/tools are in the canvas bag :).

Hahaha its good to know I have that as a back up :D

Haha thanks man! Im sure you can pull something awesome off with that 75g ? :)
i would trade it in for yours, haha

saan1wu4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most beautiful tanks I've ever seen. I love the simplicity of the whole design and all the elements just work so well together! It's obvious how much thought was put into to this build.
(I especially love the light shade, great choice!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most beautiful tanks I've ever seen. I love the simplicity of the whole design and all the elements just work so well together! It's obvious how much thought was put into to this build.
(I especially love the light shade, great choice!)

Thank you very much for those kind words!! And yes, I did indeed put a lot of thought into the setup, going to countless stores, flea markets, and websites before I was able to settle on a table and light shade o_O:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The message (which I needed to rehear) - is you can have a completely beautiful tank - with a simple protocol. Again your tank is an inspiration

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should write a book on how to reef! As said previously, you're an inspiration to the many people that would love a beautiful tank but don't have the $$$ to get all the bells and whistles. Simplicity does work and your tank is a shining example of that!

OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should write a book on how to reef! As said previously, you're an inspiration to the many people that would love a beautiful tank but don't have the $$$ to get all the bells and whistles. Simplicity does work and your tank is a shining example of that!

Im really glad you like it! And yes, back when I started my first tank, as a student, every local reefer told me of all these super expensive pieces of equipment that were apparently a 100% necessity if I wanted things to thrive. The equipment is fine sure, but I think it's a pity because many newcomers are turned away from the hobby again because of both a steep learning curve (partly because you have to get familiar with a several pieces of equipment) and the need to spend a ton of $$$ upfront.

Im actually thinking of making a youtube video of the tank with a walkthrough and a bit about my vision of simplicity for the hobby :)

This setup is totally inspiring!! Now you've given me ideas for a new setup lol

Will definitely be following this

Thanks mate! I hope to see what you come up with :D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank. The wife and I were just discussing how to incorporate a better stand solution into our new build. We were thinking bookshelf but I love what you’ve done here.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back