An attempt at a super simple and aesthetic 32G rimless mixed reef - no sump, no skimmer, no problem?

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is Lanthanum Chloride on the list? It is used for phosphate reduction...

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dope looking lagoon. Love the rock work and mangroves... and all the subtlety with stand and light. Nice!!

OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hows our Reef Of The Day tank dong today? ;)

Oh man I didn't even notice this! Thanks a lot for the feature :D

I'd argue you probably saved the Regal Tang. With the small size if your Regal Tang had been added to a system big enough for it's adult size either bigger fish would have bullied or eaten it or larger fish would have to wait until it was big enough to hold it's own.

Based on my experiences the last 32 years it doesn't matter what size fish or tank is in the equation rehomeing always has to be a consideration when a fish is purchased. Fish's ndividual personalities can trump both a species reputation and standard tank recommendations.

Stereotypy behaviour is what we need to be looking for in deciding whether a fish (or perhaps a dominate fish) needs to be rehomed. Here's a good introduction to the subject:

You make a good point! Ill give that article a read, thanks man :)

Why is Lanthanum Chloride on the list? It is used for phosphate reduction...

What list? Where? :oops:

Dope looking lagoon. Love the rock work and mangroves... and all the subtlety with stand and light. Nice!!

Thanks mate! :D

Stunning!
Thanks a lot :)

UPDATE:
The tank is doing really well, still running without a skimmer, no water changes, and im only dosing All-for-reef.
I always knew that the flow in the SPS section was too low, but had a hard time placing any powerheads effectively, and where they wouldn't intrude on the looks of the tank. It wasn't until I placed a cali tort frag in front of the canister filter output that I saw how much they're missing the flow though. After replacing it in front of the output, the cali tort has grown tremendously and immediately, way faster than any other of the SPS. After that, I played around with the powerheads, and managed to place an additional one behind the "mountain" that pushes water through the cracks and onto some of the SPS. This seemed to have helped a bit as well, with the growth picking up speed.

I recently picked up some new SPS frags, and I can literally see a difference from day to day.. Awesome! Ill try to take some more photos later today. For now here's a photo of my blue/green tenuis, that has really started growing the past two months. First photo is a previous one from January, and second one is from today:
1579614414428-png.1386599
PE7bzLe.png

Apologies for the bad quality of the photos though. The blue color is quite astonishing in daylight, but hard to capture with my camera.

Ive also done quite a bit of moving around of the frags, to try and clear the sandbed a little. Will take some photos later today once the lights are on :).
I decided to remove the mangroves for a bit as they were just growing very slowly, most likely to do their partially shaded area, and the lack of nutrients. Ive moved them to a little jar with brackish water in the sunlight, to help them grow faster so that they're ready for my next build.

I just started dosing aminos, to try and see if it will improve the colors of the SPS.

The current livestock in the tank is:
2 clowns, constantly laying eggs, a Melanaurus wrasse,1 Springeri damsel and a tailspot blenny. I also had a coris wrasse for a few months, but it just disappeared one day never to be found again.

My first reef inhabitant ever has also disappeared sadly (but to the joy of most of the corals that can now get to eat in peace); my cleaner shrimp. I had it since I first started reefing 3 years ago.

I hope to update with some more pics later.

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess its time for an update!
After a few weeks I passed on the tang to another reefer. It was doing fine and really seemed to bond with the clowns, but in the end I just couldn't justify keeping it in this tank, regardless of current size.

I also lost my beloved coral beauty to what seemed like a stomach infection. I really don't want to try and replace it, since I would most likely be disappointed.. I do have a couple of interesting fish on the way though, so stay tuned ;)

IMG_20190928_200546.jpg

So the tank has been running for around a year now, and some of the corals have grown quite a bit. Especially the green and purple hammer at the back, which is actually getting a tad too big now..

1569764005508.png

Ive recently also attempted to add a few SPS, and so far they've been doing fine.

Heres a top down shot from one side of the tank.

1569764075352.png

A Moseleya latistella:
1569764150817.png

I love its colours, but haven't quite been able to capture its true look on camera yet..
tHIS TANK IS UNBELIEVABLY BEAUTIFUL AND IS EXACTLY THE SIMPLE AND CLEAN I'VE ALWAYS WANTED. great JOB CHIEF AND KEEP UP THE GREAT WEEK.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple of new photos :)
IMG_20200708_210126.jpg
IMG_8559.JPG
Still stunning, a favorite of mine.
The mangrove removal did not detract from the over all beauty.
Looking forward to the next build with mangroves though.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bout a pic of the actual canister filter ?...love to see how you have that connected and what type it is...fwiw : I don't believe a fistful or 2 of biohome is actually denitrifying your tank...more like the 1" of very fine sand you have on the bottom..1" of oolitic sand can denitrify just as well as a dsb if done properly...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back