An Easy Way to Increase Your Tank's pH with a CO2 Scrubber

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Made one of these today using a voss plastic water bottle and BRS media for my tunze 9004 skimmer. Already seeing a .20 pH increase!

bb39f7ec6eeaab47e755c1e7fcc0b437.jpg

9fc0f535cd93a1cf877d958cb8d0b631.jpg

The small bag of media fit perfectly, wish I could find a cheaper source without buying 5 gallon buckets though.
Cool!

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
instead of using a smaller gatorade bottle, couldn't i just use a 1 gal apple juice container which would then allow me to only have to change the media a few times a year? Does using a container that's much larger vs smaller result in wasteful use of the co2 scrubbing media? If not, I might as well just use a 5 gal bucket and change the media once a yr.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this has worked great for me. in 1 day i saw a .2 ph increase. this can get pretty expensive though. I just wanted to get a small bottle to see if this was going to be effective for me so i bought the two little fishies stuff. looks like w/ the two little fishies, it's going to cost me about $1/day.

hopefully the 5 gal stuff from medvet is a lot cheaper / day

Last edited:

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this has worked great for me. in 1 day i saw a .2 ph increase. this can get pretty expensive though. I just wanted to get a small bottle to see if this was going to be effective for me so i bought the two little fishies stuff. looks like w/ the two little fishies, it's going to cost me about $1/day.

hopefully the 5 gal stuff from medvet is a lot cheaper / day

I have never purchased the 5 gal container so I don't know how the shipping cost would work out but the shipping cost on the 3 LB bag was really high for MedVet...The BRS 7.5 lb material worked out to be less expensive because the shipping was free...there is the issue that the BRS color change is not as dramatic but it is workable...at least for me...

Last edited:

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many lbs is the medvet 5 gal? You can pick it up from amzaon for $115 shipped
Im intrested in this as well. Ive been using Two Little Fishies media, amazon no longer sells it. Im curious if they work the same or if one works better.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea did that too. both come out w/ same results. with the manual mode, i even let it sit in each calibration fluid for 10 min before moving onto the next step.
Im intrested in this as well. Ive been using Two Little Fishies media, amazon no longer sells it. Im curious if they work the same or if one works better.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed the c02 scrubber yesterday (24 hours) and first time hitting a pH of 8. Can I expect it to raise more in the next couple of days? Apex 7 day graph.

pH_050620.PNG

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
instead of using a smaller gatorade bottle, couldn't i just use a 1 gal apple juice container which would then allow me to only have to change the media a few times a year? Does using a container that's much larger vs smaller result in wasteful use of the co2 scrubbing media? If not, I might as well just use a 5 gal bucket and change the media once a yr.

I don't see how it would hurt to just run it through a 5 gallon bucket. The only negative i see is that you wouldn't have a good indication on when you have to order replacement product.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed the c02 scrubber yesterday (24 hours) and first time hitting a pH of 8. Can I expect it to raise more in the next couple of days? Apex 7 day graph.

pH_050620.PNG
Mine typically runs 8.1-8.3, depending on the time.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pH_050620.PNG
Watch ur alk

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pH_050620.PNG
it took me a few days to reach peak.

Capture.JPG

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i just replaced my water bottle w/ an actual reactor from BRS. i'm not sure if its because the reactor holds more media or because its more effective, but i got another .2 jump in PH. it got so high that I had to turn off the skimmer. I'm at 8.42 now.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i just replaced my water bottle w/ an actual reactor from BRS. i'm not sure if its because the reactor holds more media or because its more effective, but i got another .2 jump in PH. it got so high that I had to turn off the skimmer. I'm at 8.42 now.
I would re calibrate the probe

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my probe is good. i'm going to have to limit the amount of time my skimmer is on now.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my probe is good. i'm going to have to limit the amount of time my skimmer is on now.

You can also put in a valve that allows you to combine fresh air with the scrubbed air

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also put in a valve that allows you to combine fresh air with the scrubbed air

yea i saw BRS attached a fresh air valve w/ a solenoid and hooked it up to apex so that when ph hit a specific number the fresh air valve would open up.

Back