an endless source of stress and debt: my first reef tank- jbj 28g cube

chopdrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone, i figured i would do a build thread if only to keep myself accountable and have somewhere better to keep a log of things than multiple scraps of paper scattered throughout my home.

i have intermittently kept freshwater tropical tanks for about, guh, 20 years now. i had a saltwater tank for maybe a week and a half when i was around 13 but my mom was obviously the one stuck with all the work so that didn't last. i had good luck with fw though, so what the heck.

i ordered a jbj nano cube 28g with the flourescent hood and set it up first week of january. used live sand, cured live rock, and off we went. shortly thereafter, added a CUC of 2 emerald crabs (hate these guys) and some hermits c/o my lfs. waited around a while and then ordered whatever the CUC was that john from reefcleaners.org recommended for me. they have been great, reefcleaners is a great business.

eventually, i tired of the flourescent hood but wanted to keep a hood on, so i ordered the jbj led hood with wifi controller. seemed pretty okay until water got into it and it shorted out, which i didn't love so i decided to go hoodless and now have an ai prime hd mounted running the saxby profile, but at something like 20% strength. i have a mesh lid from octo ordered, so once i get that i will start adding fish. (i had a fish, a scarlet dragonet recommended by the owner of my lfs which i a) now realize is not a good addition to a new nano and b) leaped to its unfortunate demise, rip)

other stuff i've ordered has been a new filter media basket, with the top holding filter floss, the middle has uhhhhhhhhhh purigen and then some other thing in there (this may be bad/excessive/stupid) and the bottom one has chaeto. i ordered an ATO but can't really figure it out so i am just every now and then eyeballing the water level and topping off by hand- not optimal and i need to get serious about the ATO.
i have an eheim heater, i think- whatever it is, it works fine.

livestock beyond cuc is a cleaner shrimp, a yellow sea cucumber (another thing the owner recommended to me that i now wish he had not), a sea urchin (this guy is an IDIOT) and a few corals: a zoa frag, two rics, a favia, gsp, pulsing xenia, and something that i'm embarrassed to say i can't recall what it is. there are also a million hitchhikers which my wife and i are the most fascinated by- it is incredible how populations of certain things will explode. at first the asterinas were the kings of the cage, but now worms of all types have taken over. i had a good sized bristleworm living under a rock but i repositioned the rocks a little bit and now i'm not sure where he's living. my shrimp recently molted and i watched something pull the discarded molt into a hole in a rock so that's pretty weird! as posted elsewhere, i have some paly hitchhikers which i should keep an eye on, but it seems like most of my coral are troublemakers anyway so whatever.

i'm at work so i don't have my parameters on hand but everything is, i think, good- my testing vials aren't as clean as they should be (turns out you should read the directions about how to clean them) so stuff might be wildly off but basically sg is something like 1.025, pH 8.0, kH ~9, Ca+ 450, don't remember Mg, ammonia and nitrate both at zero. as i said, all of this could be wrong. i am going to buy some white vinegar and clean the vials proper and test them again soon.

i do a 5 gallon a week water change with premixed h2o i purchase from my lfs, when i also scrub the glass and change the filter floss.

everything seems pretty happy so i guess i'm doing something right. i'm very new and i know mistakes will be made along the path so i'm trying to take it slow.

my biggest issue currently is that i placed the tank in a corner so that we can only see in 2 sides of the tank. i want to slide it just about 3 feet to the right, but the stock stand is kind of flimsy and i'm not sure how i should do it anyway. i'm pretty strong but i am merely one man. my wife is a puny weakling. any ideas? it is on carpet so that is even less slidy than hardwood.

inside the tank, i kind of want to add some more cured live rock because a lot of real estate in the tank is just the sandy bottom. i really like the very tentacle-y lps's like duncans and frogspawn so i want to get some of those. i also like montis but i'm not sure if that's realistic right now.

the picture of my tank i am attaching is actually from a few days ago, before i realized you can either remove coral from frag plugs or just chop the plug down with some wire cutters. i also realized not to put my zoas at the tip top. i will post better pictures soon, i hope.

wow, didn't mean to write a 2666 length novel here. future updates should be shorter, i think! i know that this tank is not very impressive technologically or biologically but it's mine and i love it and it's so much fun. my philosophy is basically just try to learn as much as i can and heed the advice of people who know a lot more than me.

alright, thanks for reading!

20190220_185025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome. Glad to have you.

First all tanks are impressive or the forums would be really boring. It looks like you are off to a good start. It was a bit long, but that is what introduction are for. To make the move easy, get some buckets and drain some water out. Then move it and refil w. Same water.

Keep us updated and pix are always great.

Edit, pix ok for me, I turned I pad sideways. There is a thread about pix and posting if needed

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy
I think the biggest issue you have right now is your LFS. I know just what you need ...... Dont listen to them. Just about everything you said they sold you is wrong.
Do some research on the palys before you get rid of them.
What ATO do you have? We can help ....

Last edited:

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all started from the same point ..:p and it's a fantastic journey..with lots of ups and downs ...tears and laughter ...keep it simple ...keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible ...research ,research , research ..and when you get sick of that ...patients, patients ,patients..then more research ....ask questions ...and theres never s quick fix ...nothing good happens fast in a reef ...and practice shrugging your shoulders and saying noooo thats not a new coral .....its always been there ..!!!:p:D
Enjoy your journey ..its only just begun:cool:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, thats such a good idea! next wc we'll do that.
If you can get some of those furniture sliders you would be suprised at how well they work. When you change the water the whole thing might be light enough to get them under it.

cincyfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get some of those furniture sliders you would be suprised at how well they work.

These work great. I’ve moved a 90 gallon that was full with these before. Just take it slow and push from the tank and the stand. Even a puny weakling should be able to do it.

Also your tank looks good. It’s still new. Slow and steady...

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s exciting times and enjoy the ride and the hobby and keep the pictures coming The tank looks great!

And welcome to R2R it’s great to have you with us!

OP
OP
chopdrop

chopdrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tanktank1.jpg

Full tank shot as of last night. Depth of field is an issue but the live rock structure in the back probably only takes up about 1/3 of the total horizontal real estate. I also feel like it could be taller, was considering rotating it about 45 degrees and getting another large piece of cured LR to abut it at the opposite 45 degrees to create a kind of V shape. Not sure if I want to do that though, I am very afraid of squishing anything living in there and stirring up the sand bed also would not be the business, to my understanding. I would rather have everything alive in an imperfectly scaped tank than cause trauma or death via my meddling.
That green coral bit right in the middle is a thing I'm not sure what it is- I thought it was a leather but I can't honestly remember. Whatever it is, it was just a flat mat of stuff but is now raising up little bumps- also it seems to be sort of sliding itself off of the chunk of superglue it was attached to the plug with. That is likely my imagination.
The xenia, I have noted, seems to be sending off little individual polyps to explore- there is one small little pulsing head in the sand below the main growth. It is really taking off! I can see how it could be invasive for sure, am considering getting something with sweepers to place to the right of it on top of the rock work to keep it sequestered to the left side, which it can have as much as it wants. Is that a terrible idea? I feel like a nice euphyllia of some kind would be cool to have up top of the rocks.
I know GSP also has a rep for that sort of thing but it isn't spreading past the hunk of rock I purchased it on. I've got that hunk touching I kind of want to try to attach it to the back wall, I really like the way that looks when it spreads but I'm hesitant to try.

OP
OP
chopdrop

chopdrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went to a reef expo yesterday and i got some stuff- a nice big duncan, two RFAs, and then they gave away some frags for purchasing stuff so i got a little zoa colony and a monti. then i finally went for it and bought a couple ocellaris. everything is looking good, though the duncan isn't opening up too much yet. not stressing on that though.

here is my question for the more experienced reefers out there (read: everyone): my only source of flow is the stock output things which i have on something like a 10 second wavemaker interval. would i be well served to get one of those magnetic propeller powerhead things to have some flow pointed more directly down towards my rock work? i know that different things like different levels of flow but i feel like the LPSs could benefit from a little more?

OP
OP
chopdrop

chopdrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going out of town this weekend and have come to realize my manual top off technique is inadequate for such an event. i have my old hood that i can put on while i'm gone which should slow the evap considerably. would that be enough or should i finally take the plunge on an ATO? and if so, where is a good place to put it? my return chambers seem like an obvious place but the wavemaker feature means that they are not consistently full, correct? for example, if the right pump is active the water level will drop while the left will remain the same? i'm not sure where to mount a sensor if this is the case.
thanks!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back