An example of our hobby affecting scientific coral research

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

read that team

noaa references Randy, uses our tools, our findings, we’ve contributed. we are aiding coral disease research because you all log thousands and thousands of build details online / high def pics and scientists can track the ways captive systems work by studying the patterns in your posts. When I read that excellent paper I think forum forum forum it’s really fun to see.

see the ammonia testing review portion

it’s our hobby but broken down in a way you’d expect a group of professional marine biologists to write. fish bowls are used to study coral diseases.

it’s our daily fare we see here, formalized

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite was not factored. they used Randy’s rule set for efficiency like we do in new tank cycling that stood out to meh

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot has changed since this 2013 NOAA paper. I didn’t see the date at first and couldn’t believe the basic the explanation and equipment set up for the proposed experimental tanks. NOAA should provide funding to the successful aquaculture businesses where we buy our corals. I’m sure these experts could provide invaluable information for these coral researchers about disease and other stressors.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the university’s in Hawaii was trying to figure out how to deal with some invasive sponges. I suggested try exposing them to oxygen. To which they replied sounds interesting but to hard to do. How would they do that? I said just use a small hose off an oxygen tank, so they tried it with good results. There was a paper written up and they thanked me for the idea. That was several years ago and I have not heard more since.if I recall I posted their emails on RC back then.

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the post but simple donations are one of the easiest ways to see our hobby make an impact. I donate to a few groups but especially sea turtle restoration programs. I have even watched a a release of hatchlings in Cabo one year and was amazed to see that the dollars I donated actually had an impact.

Attachments

• cabo baby turtles.jpg
    cabo baby turtles.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 33

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a non profit that does research.

Back