An honest review of the Giesemann Stellar

The Reef Dork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice review - thanks for the info :)

I've just set mine up and I have these left over. I used the smaller ones for the hanging kit but do you know what these are for?

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice review - thanks for the info :)

I've just set mine up and I have these left over. I used the smaller ones for the hanging kit but do you know what these are for?

Thanks!

...I had a bunch left over as well. Not sure but they might be for the leg option for mounting

The Reef Dork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fellow reefer on another forum got this reply from Giesemann re ease of bulb removal.

Screenshot_20180904-072917_Chrome.jpg

I can't see how that's a better solution than a gap in the side panel to slide the acrylic shield out. But in any case, yours doesn't look like it has short shields...

eyesmuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just got ny STELLAR a week ago.
It don’t come with the hanging kit so I need to order the hanging wire kit again. However, it don’t come ang manual.

May I know how can you attach the wire and screwing into the rail? I am confuse.
Thank you.

A19B4EA0-9D1D-4DD1-8CA8-474096DDCA64.jpeg

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fellow reefer on another forum got this reply from Giesemann re ease of bulb removal.

I can't see how that's a better solution than a gap in the side panel to slide the acrylic shield out. But in any case, yours doesn't look like it has short shields...

Putting it delicately ... what a bunch of garbage!!! They are making it up as they go.

No mine is not shortened in anyway as you can see in my earlier posts. So... now they claim that ridiculous response but I was told something totally different as you can see in my earlier quote by them.

What happened to the assurances they made regarding “extensive thermal tests”

I’ve thought about just removing the shields because frankly the “loosen the plate screws and tilt” as they told me, simply doesn’t work.

I used to be a loyal customer of theirs. I admired their great products and customer service. These responses have completely erased my confidence and goodwill.

So very disappointing that Giesemann has resorted to making excuses for what is clearly a design flaw and oversight.

Buyer beware!

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just got ny STELLAR a week ago.
It don’t come with the hanging kit so I need to order the hanging wire kit again. However, it don’t come ang manual.

May I know how can you attach the wire and screwing into the rail? I am confuse.
Thank you.

A19B4EA0-9D1D-4DD1-8CA8-474096DDCA64.jpeg

The hanging kit comes with a nut that slides into the groove. You then screw the wire to the nut.

eyesmuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hanging kit comes with a nut that slides into the groove. You then screw the wire to the nut.

Thanks for your reply.
Is this kind of nuts? I only got these pieces.
Just like the pic from The Reef Dork

73255177-0552-45DE-929E-C5345F56A5BF.jpeg

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So did he get shortened shields or standard like mine.... really doesn’t pass the smell test!

eyesmuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, some will be too large and others will fit. I cannot recall which ( what came with fixture or what came with hanging kit)
Thank you!
Then it comes from the fixtures.
Crazy that it don’t have a manual.

The Reef Dork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting it delicately ... what a bunch of garbage!!! They are making it up as they go.

No mine is not shortened in anyway as you can see in my earlier posts. So... now they claim that ridiculous response but I was told something totally different as you can see in my earlier quote by them.

What happened to the assurances they made regarding “extensive thermal tests”

I’ve thought about just removing the shields because frankly the “loosen the plate screws and tilt” as they told me, simply doesn’t work.

I used to be a loyal customer of theirs. I admired their great products and customer service. These responses have completely erased my confidence and goodwill.

So very disappointing that Giesemann has resorted to making excuses for what is clearly a design flaw and oversight.

Buyer beware!
For what it's worth, I'm going to cut a gap into the side bracket so the shield can slide out.

In spite of the issues, I love mine!

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I'm going to cut a gap into the side bracket so the shield can slide out.

In spite of the issues, I love mine!

Good luck! I don't have the tools or skills to try that and frankly for what this fixture costs- Giesemann should just admit it was an oversight and fix it. The fixture that the Stellar is based off of has ventilation slits and a cutout for removal of the acrylic shield. I don't understand why they can do the same for this fixture which is otherwise identical.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Before doing this I would highly recommend finding out what kind of reflector material is being used. 98% reflective Miro Silver used in ATI fixtures will not handle the salt spray caused by exposure. Miro 5 or 7 (like the old Sunlight Supply Tek Lights) handle it much better. Without knowing what material is used you risk a lot of damage without protection.

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

I didn't see better options coming out from MACNA 18 and I need to start a new build(Red Sea Reefer 525XL) next month. I think I am going to bite the bullet and get the Stellar, even with issues highlighted in this thread. Couple of questions for you guys that have this:

CoralVue wont have any in their US warehourse till Dec or early next year, did you get yours directly from Giesemann via this site: http://shop.giesemann.de/20176000-en ? How long did it take to ship?
I will be pairing the 48" Stellar with two Hydra 52s. Do you have any recommendation for the T5 schedule and bulb configurations? Are the T5s controllable in anyway or are they full on or full off only?
I need to hang the lights with the CadLight stand(https://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_49&products_id=160) because of ceiling height where I willing be placing the tank. It has a weigh capacity of 75 lbs. The 2 AI Hydra weighs about 7lbs total, do you know if the Stellar is under 65lbs?

Thanks in advanced for any answers you can provide.

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stellar is on about 10 pounds in weight.

The T5 are only on or off not controllable.

I ordered directly from them on the website. It took about 4 weeks before they shipped.

I’m using mine to supplement my Led so they are only on for about 6 hours of my 12 hr photoperiod.

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stellar is on about 10 pounds in weight.

The T5 are only on or off not controllable.

I ordered directly from them on the website. It took about 4 weeks before they shipped.

I’m using mine to supplement my Led so they are only on for about 6 hours of my 12 hr photoperiod.

Thanks for the answers. What is your T5 combo?

Morten1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours was the 900mm right? Did it give enough light for the 425xl? I dont like shadows so i want light at the endes as well

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back