An honest review of the Giesemann Stellar

Morten1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for answer. Other than the things you mentioned are you happy enough with the lamp?

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for answer. Other than the things you mentioned are you happy enough with the lamp?
overall yes, I had preferred the shorter end bars but without the ventilation slits, things were getting too hot. I put the standard bars on which are longer, it causes some spill over of the light beyond the aquarium but it stays cooler.

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi CD,

What is the status of your arylic shield? Do you have it on or off? If on, the heat is acceptable? Thanks. Awaiting mine from Germany.

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have it on. It’s too difficult to remove now that my lights are hanging. I’m also afraid the salt spray will ruin the reflectors.

With the vented side brackets the heat is acceptable but with the shorter non vented brackets it is not.

Caddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of quick questions,

• I have a reefer 425 and I was wondering would the the shorter version would be better as the larger one the light will be lighting up the weir cove plate? where the shorter version would concentrate light to the center of the tank where stock would be?
  • I have the potential to machine the end plates so would look at getting slots milled for the acrylic, and if I used the shorter version get slots milled for cooling. Whats the finish? Powder coated?

I will be combining the unit with my two hydra 26Hds. Just got to figure out how to mount the stellar, hang or tank mount

Caddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of quick questions.

I have a reefer 425 and plan on adding T5 to compliment my 2 Hydras 26 HDs

• Would the shorter version be better as it would light up the center of the tank more where stock would be? does the larger version not spread light outside of the tank and on to the top of the weir plate
  • Whats the finish on the end plates, i have the potential to get them machined but don't want to ruin the finish. Also what material are they? if they are aluminium I may get away with out re finishing them
Thanks in advance

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of quick questions.

I have a reefer 425 and plan on adding T5 to compliment my 2 Hydras 26 HDs

• Would the shorter version be better as it would light up the center of the tank more where stock would be? does the larger version not spread light outside of the tank and on to the top of the weir plate
  • Whats the finish on the end plates, i have the potential to get them machined but don't want to ruin the finish. Also what material are they? if they are aluminium I may get away with out re finishing them
Thanks in advance
The shorter version is better but it still spans the majority of the tank. The difference is not much- the shorter version still comes within a couple inches of the back and front glass where as the longer reaches them flush. The finish is powder coated and I believe it is aluminum.

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
377.22 € plus 74€ for shipping.

This is for Stellar in 1200mm in white with the hanging kit.

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man the only thing holding me back on buying this fixture it’s the slots on the shorter 500mm brackets (contemplating having my local machinest cutting slits) and the lack of a cutout for slidding out the shield

Caddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man the only thing holding me back on buying this fixture it’s the slots on the shorter 500mm brackets (contemplating having my local machinest cutting slits) and the lack of a cutout for slidding out the shield

I am in the exact same boat. I think the slimmer model will light my tank the best. However don’t want the unitnover heating. I’m also trying to figure out the best way of hanging it. Currently have two hydra 26 he with the slimline brackets. Not sure they would take the weight of the stellar too

Caddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also annoys me that it’s not an option to have the shorter version

The Reef Dork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing devil's advocate... Giesemann know a thing or two about lights. Is it more likely they're right and it's fine?

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the review - I'm planning to get the 4ft one for a 5'6" x 27" build.

I am assuming it is fairly easy to take an individual reflector out? I have an led that fits into a t5 but its 2.4" wide so I am sure to fit it I would need to take out the reflector. Also if I don't use the shield (which is a possibility even if I use all T5's) it would be nice to put in replacement reflectors if the salt spray damages them.

I know on my build I could easily get the 5ft version but I'd like a bit of space on each end of the tank (and above) and have some shadowed sections there.

Also the PAR image is super useful - thanks so much.

Raymech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the 2ft version here in Australia, gunmetal grey powder coated. Very nice!
Giesemann have addressed the issues you raised regarding the end plates. I have the standard wide version which provides 26cm/10inch space for the LED which was perfect for my light which is 24cm wide. End plates on both sides have the ventilation slots for the globes passive cooling.
There is also a cutout section on each end plate which allows the perspex cover to slide out so you can access the bulbs without having to unscrew the whole end plate.
Im using this with an Illumagic Style LED which is already an amazing light on a 2ft tank for SPS, the T5 supplements this perfectly using 2 blue plus and 2 coral plus.
So far I am really liking this fixture, acclimating the corals slowly. The hanging kit was not included and was an additional purchase.
The method to hang the light was using an Illumagic pendant system.
I dont believe that Illumagic is popular outside of Australia and Asia but they recently started selling the Blaze X fixtures through Unique Corals in the USA. They are great strip lights however the Illumagic Style LED allows individual colour and intensity control of each of the individual 6 pucks which is awesome.
Highly recommended the Stellar.
20190109_160035.jpg
20190109_160053.jpg
20190109_160154.jpg
20190109_160230.jpg

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad they finally reconsidered the design as I stressed to them back in July.

Wish I had waited to purchase. Early adopter equals early loser.

I will make an attempt to contact them and see if I can obtain one of the slotted end brackets.

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad they finally reconsidered the design as I stressed to them back in July.

Wish I had waited to purchase. Early adopter equals early loser.

I will make an attempt to contact them and see if I can obtain one of the slotted end brackets.

Me too. Hope they support us early adopters. I also need to order from them another set of light mount.

Coralvue wants $100 for a pair.

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giesemann have addressed the issues you raised regarding the end plates. I have the standard wide version which provides 26cm/10inch space for the LED which was perfect for my light which is 24cm wide. End plates on both sides have the ventilation slots for the globes passive cooling.

Was the problem with the non vented end plates not with the shorter version? Ok, it's nice that there are slots now for the acrylic shields, but I would really like to know if the newest version also includes air vents and slots on the short 50 cm end brackets.

Anybody knows?

Kbos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190118_222901.jpg
Just recieved these 50cm brackets also improved ones.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back