An honest review of the Giesemann Stellar

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone purchased the Stelllar recently from BRS? I really do not like how the led (Radion) just sits in between a couple brackets. Any chance they have a different mounting option where I could bolt the Radion down? Thank you.

Whispers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had the same prob with it Just sitting like that but I never touch it Sits perfectly fine no problems

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with both of my Stellar fixtures using XR15s and XR30s. I don't use the 3M double sided tape on the brackets. One thing I've done as a precaution is zip tie the power cords in the event of the fixture potentially falling. Even though there is a screen over both the tanks the Radions would melt though the screen in no time. This way there is no real slack in the Radion power cords so they don't end up touching the water or screen for that matter. I've even used zip ties on the brackets when they housed Kessil A360X. This way the brackets wouldn't come apart.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone purchased the Stelllar recently from BRS? I really do not like how the led (Radion) just sits in between a couple brackets. Any chance they have a different mounting option where I could bolt the Radion down? Thank you.

The standard bracket that comes with the Stellar is an unpainted aluminun bar that uses 3M double sided tape to the LED fixture.
The optional strut is painted to match with the fixture and has slots to screw mount the LED fixture. It can be found here.
I ordered a 59" Stellar during the BRS sale and since I'm mounting the Radion the short way, I needed to extend the fixture with the optional oversized end plates. I went ahead and ordered additional mounting rails and pleasantly found the optional plates and the mounting rails are much better than the ones that come with the fixture. Overall, I spent $150 extra for oversized endplates and 5 pair of rails. It's worth the upgrade. Well, I have no choice anyways since I'm mounting the Radion the short way.

Optional rails paint matches with the fixture and has screw mounting slots for the LED fixture compare to the unfinished aluminum using oversided tape that comes with the fixture.
IMG_3716.JPG

Optional endplates has slits for the T5 heat to escape and a slot if you want to slide in a protective splash screen for the T5.
IMG_3698.jpg

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahh great to know! Would you happen to have a pic of your radions mounted with the optional rails? Thank you.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh great to know! Would you happen to have a pic of your radions mounted with the optional rails? Thank you.

So I sold the old tank when I moved back in September of last year. Thought I was going to be out of the hobby for awhile. But here I am, a new tank on order through Miracle and about 10weeks out. I haven't received the G5 XR30W Blue to try it yet. but here's the fixture on pretty much the same footprint as the counter. I'll give it a try when I receive the light which could be this week.
But from my initial look, it's much better than the double sided tape. The paint alone is worth the upgrade IMO. Because the unfinished aluminum rails really make a dent in the look fo the fixture.
IMG_3715.JPG

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny thing is, I came oh so close in leaving the hobby recently. Now, I find myself possibly ordering the Stellar and a G5. My tank is 36”x36”, would you suggest I also mount the g5 perpendicular to the stellar for a wider spread? I’m also stuck on whether I want to order the 2’ or 3’ Stellar. Thanks again.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm...

So as I stated in my review- I purchased a 120V version directly from them. I was one of the first to purchase.

It came with complete shield covers but as I mentioned they were locked in and in order to change the bulbs you would need to take off the side plates which is a royal PIA.

After my dealings with them they have modified the side plates so you can easily slide out the cover to change bulbs.

In my opinion ( conjecture)- they had stock of the original that needed a fix. A simple fix would be to cut the shields so that the ends (electrical contacts) are covered but otherwise it is open. This would take care of the bulb changing issue and heat issue.

Also gives them an easy explanation in terms of the “Par” etc.

In any event they came through for me with the new end plates which allow me to slide the shield out when needed. They also modified the short version of the endplate and incorporated the vent slits for cooling. I’m happy with the fixture now and it looks great in my opinion.

ec3b6435911d9aa4b4056eacc42f5f20.jpg
So, even though they poo pooed the need for the vent slots and modification to remove the T5 shields they now included them, hmmmm.
They could gave thanked you for your observations and suggestions and said they would incorporate them in the near future. They then, as a good will gesture,send you replacement updated parts FOC. Not very good customer care or relations from a high end company IMO.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is, I came oh so close in leaving the hobby recently. Now, I find myself possibly ordering the Stellar and a G5. My tank is 36”x36”, would you suggest I also mount the g5 perpendicular to the stellar for a wider spread? I’m also stuck on whether I want to order the 2’ or 3’ Stellar. Thanks again.

I'm mounting the G5 the short way in hope that I can not use the T5s and take it out of the fixture to save weight and especially the wires. Yes, I know. Many will see it as a waste but the Stellar or the Aquatic Life DX18 are the best looking way to hang your LEDs without having something that looks like a spider hanging over your tank. And you have a back up plan(T5).
For 36x36, I would go with a 24" fixture with the XL endplates that makes the fixtures ~23.5"x 26" that will make the fixture to be squarish that will match with the footprint of the tank. And mount 2 XR30W G5 the short way. I think this will give you very even light spread and again, the possibility of not running the T5 but a good back up plan.
I don't recommend the same size fixture for the same size tank. You have no head room to work in the tank and the light spill in the tank. You also don't want to clean the glass that often. ;)
So always go smaller fixture than the tank.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, even though they poo pooed the need for the vent slots and modification to remove the T5 shields they now included them, hmmmm.
They could gave thanked the op for his suggestions and said they would incorporate them in the near future then as a good will suggestion send replacement uodated parts FOC. Not very good customer care or relations from a high end company IMO.

You're lucky they're actually listen and made the changes. I don't know of any company that made an update to their product and send that to their previous customer.
The plates are not that much money. Just buy it if you think you really need it.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, and the fixture looks so much better when it’s shorter than the actual tank. I was hoping to get away with just using one g5 as all my acros occupy a space of around 24”x24” and use the t5’s to fill in some space around the acros with lps and shrooms. Do you have a link to the end plates by chance? I understand that if I buy the shorter led mounting brackets, I need to buy the shorter end plates. Thanks again.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're lucky they're actually listen and made the changes. I don't know of any company that made an update to their product and send that to their previous customer.
The plates are not that much money. Just buy it if you think you really need it.
Am suggesting such as the op clearly aided them.in his suggestions, nobody expects them to send everybody replacement parts. The op quite rightly pointed out the issues and shortcomings to which they obviously agreed. BTW some manufacturers have sent out replacement parts in the past when the design had flaws which these clearly did as pointed out by the op even though they denighed them initially.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, and the fixture looks so much better when it’s shorter than the actual tank. I was hoping to get away with just using one g5 as all my acros occupy a space of around 24”x24” and use the t5’s to fill in some space around the acros with lps and shrooms. Do you have a link to the end plates by chance? I understand that if I buy the shorter led mounting brackets, I need to buy the shorter end plates. Thanks again.

If you mount the LED fixture the short end which means the Radion needs a 11.8" away from you which mean you need to buy the XL end plates and rails. If you mount the Radion the long way, it's 7" away from you and you don't have to do anything. But keep in mind that the Radion is 11.8" long and the fixture is 23.8" so I don't know if you can actually mount 2 the long way.
Endplates can be found here.
You will also need the matching size rails.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahh I found the end plates on the Coralvue site! Oops, just read your post above. Thx again this is me.

VDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning guys, longshot here but does anyone have the medium bracket for sale. I purchased a fixture and it did not come with enough brackets attached is a picture thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0238.jpeg
    IMG_0238.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 4

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back